Thread: Who should you trust to train your dog?

Who should you trust to train your dog?

Wow, while I really dislike shock collars and would never use one on my dogs, I know some people use them to an extent and thats ok....but this lady is out of control. I feel very sorry for any dog that was ever left with her. http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...s/dogtraining/

Good lord that woman is a real nut case!

Having spent almost half a lifetime involved in the world of sporting dogs I've seen dozens of dogs that had experienced some training with a shock collar. Not one of them were ever exposed to the abuse of the outrageous methods she uses. Though there were a couple of owners that I would have liked to put the collar on and have it set on high!

The collars are only meant to be used once the dog has been trained completely and still refuses to obey or in a situation such as snake avoidance training that can possibly save it's life one day.

I never resorted to the shock collar on my own dogs other than for snake avoidance training. And that was overseen by a professional hunting dog trainer who knew exactly what he was doing. That training was worth it's weight in gold as it saved them from snakebite many times. Their training and the obvious reaction they had when encountering a snake also kept us from being bitten more than once.

It's always been my belief that while there are some legitimate reasons for the use of Electronic Training Collars, (such as for snake avoidance training). However they should never be used by amatuers or pet owners unless under the supervision of an experienced and qualified trainer.

But as the quote in the article said, "It's difficult to legislate against stupidity"!
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

OMG!!!
    I'll admit we have a shock collar, my husband bought it when we couldn't keep Sierra from jumping on and over our fence. We've had it for about 5 years, and she's only been jolted a handfull of times, (and each time I cried) after that... as soon as she had the collar on she was good as gold!!
    Actually, it's been a few years now since we've even put it on her!
    That's one thing.... but what this "Lady" is doing is horrible!!!!
    She's sick... SICK In the head!!!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Acckkkk..WTH is wrong with some people??? The whole shock collar around the waist realy threw me!! Its bad enough using a shock collar the way she did, but to place another one around the dogs waist??
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I won't even visit the link but I can imagine.

Some people are so sick but the most worrying thing is that they passionately believe they are right and that their methods works.

I know that dog behaviourists and such are generally very opposed to shock collars, pring collars, choke chains, all those things. They often end up teaching the wrong thing along with being cruel.
    I wouldn't use them on my dogs....ever!!!
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

I read the entire story. I truly hope that woman is given the maximum fine, jail time, and has to go for psych eval & therapy. What she does is animal abuse, and to think people pay her enourmous sums to do so is equally outrageous. If you own the dog, YOU train the dog.

I would not trust anyone who didn't allow me to witness any training & I
    would never ,ever send my dog off with anyone for training elsewhere.

This woman gives the words "dog whisperer" a bad name. She is a total
    nut case & I do hope she is prosecuted.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Exactly Pat. I do not understand why anyone would drop their dog off to be trained by someone else. If I'm living with the pet, I'm going to be involved in the training.

I hope the woman is jailed for a long long time. Those poor dogs.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June