Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you know he was the "one"?

Much like Twisterdog, I could not make it work with the first great love of my life. We tried for years and when it worked, it was bloody brillant. When it didn't work, it was very ugly. I read a quote somewhere once that said "No one gets through life without reaching the realization that some great loves that are unsustainable". That was us.

When I first met Stuart, my girlfriend told me to stay away from him. I was very drunk at that moment and took that as a challenge. If Leana had never said that, I probably never would have made a point of meeting him! It was not love at first sight. It was pure, unadulterated lust. Then we didn't talk for almost two years. I went back to the first guy, he went back to whatever he was doing at the time and life went on.

Two years, almost to the day after we first met, same girlfriend called me on a Saturday night and said "guess who's house I'm at?" She was at Stuart's with her boyfriend. I had just bought my own condo and he had bought a house a few blocks away. We had never run into each other! I decided to stop in "for a quick visit" before going to meet some other friends. I stood the other friends up that night and never really left again. We were married exactly one year later....8 years ago next month.

Stuart says he knew instantly when I walked into his house the second time. I took some convincing. I did everything I could to drive him away. I was, frankly, a b*tch to him at times. He just wouldn't go away.

The biggest difference between the two and the reason my marriage works really well...trust. When Stuart says he's going to be somewhere or do something, that's what he does without fail. He is honest, steady, reliable, gentle and trustworthy. Those things make him a great hubby.

With my husband, there was an instant connection--- but not love at first sight. We became instant fast friends, which is very unlike both of us, and we were best friends for some time afterwards without having any sort of romantic or physical relationship (it helped that there is an age gap... I am 25 now, he is 32. Not that bad now, but when I was 14, it would have been a HUGE problem, lol).

When we did date, I eventually refused his marriage proposal (I was very young, had a lot of growing up to do, was frightened, and had huge family troubles to deal with). His mom still hates me for breaking his heart. It wasn't easy at first, but we ended up becoming best friends again for a few years.

We lost touch eventually... for years. Different states, different schools, and he had 'stepped aside' when I was engaged to someone else (called it off soon after, but he assumed for all the years that we were out of touch I was married and lost for good).

Eventually I had an epiphany that yes, most people have 'the one that got away', but I was still using him as the measurement of all other prospective partners, and they always fell short. All other men were put up against the way he'd treated me and related to me, and he left them in the dust, hands down, every time. I'd never stopped thinking about him or having feelings for him, I'd just justified that for a long time by thinking everyone felt that way about their 'first love'.

His phone number was no good any more, his address was no good anymore, all I had was an old hotmail address that I'd last emailed him at about four years before. I took a chance, sent a mail saying, basically "I love you and I am sorry it took so long."

It pretty much floored him, lol, but he felt the same. We managed to arrange a 'first date', and afterwards I proposed. He said yes. And now he's stuck, poor guy.

My family loves making fun of us, saying that for two people who despise romantic movies, we've lived a pretty big chick-flick cliche, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    When I first met Stuart, my girlfriend told me to stay away from him. I was very drunk at that moment and took that as a challenge. If Leana had never said that, I probably never would have made a point of meeting him!
    It was similar with Andy and I...except I wasn't drunk. LOL!

I was at a comic convention in MI with some friends and spotted someone sporting a Boba Fett costume. I wanted to go say hi, but my friends told me to stay away and that that guy was rude.

I snuck off anyway and introduced myself, complimenting his costume. When Andy took off the helmet, I felt there was a connection, but I wasn't attracted to him and it definitely wasn't love at first sight.

We kept in touch via email occasionally and then he stopped emailing all together.

The next time I saw him in person was over a year later at a different convention in Atlanta in 2001.

By then, I knew it was fate.

Our first official date was in 2002. We were engaged in 2004 and married in 2007.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I met him at a b-day party for a family member. I lived in another town, so when I left we spent 6 straight hours that night on the phone. I went to visit him the following week, where he announced to everyone, unbeknownst to me, that I was his girlfriend...

We only had a 5 month relationship, before it fell apart. We remained good friends over the last year and a half since we ended our romantic relationship. Although lately, we've both been talking and decided that neither one of us can live without the other and we are better off being with each other. Now we are back together and he is moving in with me!!!

Aww.. sweet stories!

I think Mike could be "it", but I don't want to bite my tongue about it right now.. but it's just how we met.. and I've never felt anything like this right now about how I feel about him after 4 1/2 months. I am head-over-heels.I still think that the fact of how we met; it's something you don't hear often; and if we didn't have the same circle of friends; I doubt that we'd ever meet.

We walked past eachother randomly on the Oval in October; where Mike noticed me first. He thought I was really cute/good looking, he smiled at me, and I saw him, and I smiled back at him; that's what I do when I pass by people.. I smile a lot. I just never thought anything of it, if it meant something or what, but it left an impact on Mike. He was excited that I smiled at him, just a random cute girl to him. Later that day, he found out I was friends with his best friend's girlfriend, who I grew up with since 4th grade. We did not meet until January; it was basically set up. My friend knew he was coming, and she wanted me over for dinner at her apartment. We met, but we did not talk a lot; we were very quiet towards eachother; I was shy! So was he. He was scared of me. He thought I didn't care for him, and the next night, we all went out to Monster Trucks and to bar afterwards, and ever since that night, we hung out every day; he tutored me with math homework, then he asked me out to the rodeo.. which was 2 weeks after we met. The night before the rodeo, we had our first kiss. Today is the 4th month since our first kiss. He is my date for my friend's wedding in June. Things are going good, and we both are extremely comfortable with eachother, and things couldn't be any greater. I haven't said the "three words" yet.. but I think it's something that's not to be said, but expressed. I think.. we both are on the same level, I don't want to be the first to say it, but I will, when I am ready. he does this thing..where he just looks at me and just gazes into my eyes after we kiss.. just laying by me.. and he'll just smile and I smile back and he smiles bigger and pulls me close to him.. We just snuggle.. I honestly think it's like this - "you say it best when you say nothing at all"..

I know I babbled.. but what can I say.. I finally found me a good guy.. and I tend on keeping him around.. he's a definite keeper!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I've always had a feeling that he's the one for you--seriously!! It just sounds so right. I love it!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Here's a goofy picture, just because!

and..

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

He reminds me of a guy on a tv show. Does that ring a bell? Every time I see the commercial for it, I think of Mike

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

What commerical? Lol. I can't wait to see him tomorrow for the weekend.. YAY!

Aw, ya'll look good together!

Two pics:

Mike being goofy:

I'll start paying more attention to the tv. As soon as I figure it out, I'll let you know. I'm such an infrequent tv person so it may take awhile.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!