Thread: low protein diets?

low protein diets?

As some of you may know, Raustyk has some kidney problems. I need to keep her protein intake at a minimum and am in search of diet ideas.
    I prefer to feed raw & I am learning about how to do it properly and will get her back on it fairly soon, I hope. It could be anywhere from a week to a few months, it all depends on when I feel comfortable doing it. It's just that she has had quite a few problems all come up at once & it is a little over whelming I must say. My finances, time & research time is pretty limited.
    She is currently eating a home cooked restricted protein/reduced phosphorous diet. It consists of ground beef, egg, rice, bread & calcium carbonate. I would like a little variation for her. I prefer to hear your suggestions on homecooked or raw diets or premium kibbles. Pretty much something fast, easy to feed and easy to learn. I am not interested in lesser quality commercial brands & prescreption brands. Those I already know all about. Besides her kidney levels are getting a little better so I should be able to control this by a low protein diet OTHER than a prescription diet like k/d or the like with no problem, at least for a yearish or so.
    I am looking for something with a crunch to it to help clean her teeth at the same time. (from what I have learned so far, feeding a raw diet to a dog with kidney problems requires less organs and bone so crunchy ideas are really welcomed! lol). She is pretty picky with items other than meat, she HATES fresh veggies so carrots are out, even ice cubes aare left untouched by her. Now that her appetite is a little decreased she doesn't even really eat many dog biscuits anymore.
    I appreciate any input you may have to offer.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Noba eats Innova Evo and he loves it. All the research says its up there as one of the best... IMO

Kibble wise, Winston needs a low protein food and is fed California Natural. It's working great for him and is the only food he can eat without problems. I alternate between the Lamb & Rice and the Chicken & Rice, for different meat sources. It says it has only 21 % protein level.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out some more though. I wish I could help more pertainig to raw, but I don't know enough about it to do so.

I would try Innova Reduced Fat. It only has 18% protein.
    I've been BOO'd!

I just wanted to let yous know that I decided to go with Wellness senior dry food, it's 18% protein, and I also got some natures variety frozen raw food for her too. I needed something kind of fast and didn't have a lot of time to drive all over the place. We'll see how she does. Hopefully I can learn & be confident enough to feed raw again before too long.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.