Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New cat

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gleason View Post
    I'm back!!!

The cat has become dangerous.

Had the cat for three months. Overall she has been a fun cat. A little destructive and bites when she wants attention.

However, lately (last three days) she is in attack mode. Can't get near her. I pet her and she seems to like it. Then all of a sudden wham she bites.

Also noticed she is whipping her tail all the time. A show of anger.

Plus she hasn't destroyed the carrot. Usually last 4 days at the most. Almost untouched.

I am wondering if she is sick. She is eating normal and cat box activity seems normal.

Please give the vet a call, as soon as you can. Something is going on with her, whether physically or behaviorally. Has something changed in your household routine?

What with the Labor Day holiday, are the regular vets closed for the long weekend? Do they have an emergency number, or can you leave a message for them about what's going on and maybe someone checks the line who might call you back before Tuesday?

Meanwhile, I'd say give her some space. Keep up your regular routine of feeding and scooping the litter and cleaning things up, as calmly as you can. Don't act scared of her, but let her approach you if she's friendly. And if she's in attack mode, stay out of her way. If you give a stern "NO!" and move away when she starts acting up, will she hold back?

I wish I could wave my magic wand and make things all better! My kitty Sparkler and I are sending along loads of loving good wishes and warm healing energies to you both. Thank you so very much, from the bottoms of our hearts, for bringing this scared girl in, welcoming her Home and working so hard with her and loving her. Blessings to you all.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Blog Entries
    I gave Lily's arse a wee scrub today....she took it like a champ!!😻😻 She seems to avoid that area lately. Can't say as I blames her 😬🙈. I'm pretty sure after a couple days off, licking your own arse, pretty unpleasant.

First kill

My cat made his first kill last night.

A SUPERIOR hunter.

Woke up and found a dead mouse proudly displayed.

Going out today and buying two trophies.

1 - Precision Leeper

2 - Superior Hunter

New cat update

Update

Kitty Face is still biting. But, getting used to. I heal fast.

New problem.

This one is strange.

She likes to play with plastic bags. These are bags you get at the corner stores.

First, when I come back from the store she has to inspect the bag contents.

Then she rolls around with it for a while.

One day she stuck her head though the hand hold. It got stuck. He couldn't get it off. She went into a panic. I rescued her. She is forever grateful. Now if I leave the house I make sure there is no bags laying around. She continues to play with the bags.

Now for the strange problem.

I'm watching TV. In front of me the cat is playing with a bag. Seemed to be having a great time.

Then she started to do something strange. She started flattering the bag with her paws and teeth. It was totally flat on the floor. Then she sits on it. Well, I thought she was sittin. I noticed her butt was off the floor. But almost there. She was peeing on the bag.

This was the first time she did this. Never found a wet bag before.

The cat box was in the same room and clean.

Now she can't play with the bags.

--

BTW - Today's Cat of the day Vincent Price 10/31/2020 is an exact duplicate of Kitty Face.

I have heard of cats doing this before - I think it's something about the smell of the plastic used in some bags that screams, "Pee on Me!" to cats! Well, best keep them away from her for now, anyway - safer for everyone concerned.
    I've Been Frosted

Definitely keep the plastic bags away from her and out of her reach! They're VERY dangerous for cats to get hold of. Keep them shut away somewhere she can't get into accidentally, in a drawer or somewhere that is ALWAYS kept shut.

You've already seen some of the problems they can cause, which are not unusual with cats and plastic bags. Cats are really drawn to them somehow. And you might not be handy to rescue her the next time.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Definitely keep the plastic bags away from her and out of her reach!
    What if I cut the hand holds? She seems enjoys them.

I agree that if I wasn't there could have catastrophic results.

I have around 15 different cat toys and she ignores them. A ball the size of a golf ball. I roll it across the room, she stops it. Then walks away. A few more times she doesn't react to at all. She gave up on the carrot.

I'm looking to get the floppy fish. 2 for 20 bucks. Offering 2 tells me they don't last long.

That's a great idea. By all means, cut the hand-holds of any of those plastic bags you might have where she could get to them. You might cut each bag you bring home, as a matter of course.

As for whether the plastic bags are okay for her to play with (or pee on) after the hand-holds are cut, I suppose so but I don't really know. Maybe check with your vet about that?

Keep other bags with hand-holds you don't want to cut, sturdier ones or fabric bags or such, well out of reach from her.

All the best to kitty and you!

from Tinker and Sparkler and Pat
    Death thought about it.

Update

I have had this female cat for 5 months.

Today I looked a little closer.

My cat is a boy!!!

Surprise!

Death thought about it.

New problem

Yesterday my neighbor went to the store for me. He got me some cheap aluminum foil. Really cheap.

Here I am trying to wrap something and this foil was not rolling out correctly. It was a mess.

The cat is sitting on the counter watching (he does this often). Here's me picking at the roll trying hopelessly to get it started.

Little pieces of foil brakes off and falls to the counter. Luckily I looked down and the cat starts to eat the foil. He has several pieces in his mouth. He starts to swallow. I grab the cat and force my finger in the mouth and pushed the foil out.

This cat is driving me nuts. I took the whole roll and tossed it in the trash where it belongs.

Just another thing I have to be watchful about.

Who would thought a cat would he aluminum foil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gleason View Post
    Yesterday my neighbor went to the store for me. He got me some cheap aluminum foil. Really cheap.

Here I am trying to wrap something and this foil was not rolling out correctly. It was a mess.

The cat is sitting on the counter watching (he does this often). Here's me picking at the roll trying hopelessly to get it started.

Little pieces of foil brakes off and falls to the counter. Luckily I looked down and the cat starts to eat the foil. He has several pieces in his mouth. He starts to swallow. I grab the cat and force my finger in the mouth and pushed the foil out.

This cat is driving me nuts. I took the whole roll and tossed it in the trash where it belongs.

Just another thing I have to be watchful about.

Who would thought a cat would eat aluminum foil.
    Fixed spelling. Can you edit on this board?

I like to keep potentially-dangerous things like aluminum foil and saran (clear) wrap and plastic bags in a drawer or cupboard or other closed-off spot where the cat can't get at it but you can get it out when you need some.

Best wishes! And bless you and thank you for taking this sweet kitty in and giving him a home and loving him.

Death thought about it.

Fear aggression is activated by a cat who sees a danger that he or she cannot elude. Joint pain, dental malady, injury, and diseases are fair a few of the conditions that can cause torment and ensuing hostility when a cat is touched, or considers he or she may be touched, in an agonizing range.

You should bring him to the vet to be checked

Another observation

Caught the cat eating. I have to use cat food in gravy he won't even look at the cake type.

He is eating and I walk by. Most the time he eats like a normal cat or dog. Sticks his head in the bowl.

This time he is sitting and scooping out of the bowl with his paw and then eating it off the paw.

It was fun to watch but unusual.