Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown spot in his eye?

Brown spot in his eye?

( lots of spelling mistakes, ignore them :P )
    I remember a few months ago I read an article in a CatFancy magazine about how a woman noticed a brown spot in her tabbys iris, and over time it got bigger and bigger until the whole kittys eye was brown.
    But the kitty never showed any symptoms to illness and he was just fine. Until the owner took her cat to the vet and the vet said that the tabby has a rare disease in his eye, and it has to be surgically removed.
    Ever since we got Picasso, he has had a little brown spot in his left eye, and recently, I noticed that it has gotten considerable bigger, (or so we believe)
    Im a little worried about this and Im wondering if I have to remove Pikos eye too?
    I would have asked the vet to check, but Picasso is too ferocious and the vet had to cover him with a blanket the whole checkup.
    I was wondering if anyone knew any info on this? Maybe tell me the name of this disease so I can look up info on it?
    Incase there are any vets or people with past experiences reading this, here is a photo of Picasso where you can see the spot.

Please let me know ASAP

---

NEUTER AND SPAY YOUR PETS!!!

The vet may not be able to look at the eye, but maybe you should still just ask about it. I'm sure they would have lots of info for you if they've ever experienced anything like that before. Maybe show the vet this picture as well if Picasso will not cooperate in person.
    I hope it is nothing and beautiful Picasso will get to keep his pretty eyes.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm sorry I have no experience with this, but just wanted to say that's an excellent picture of Picasso! What a handsome kitty! I hope everything is ok. I've seen cats that have multi colored eyes like that, but I don't recall the spots getting bigger. Keep us posted!

**hugs**

I believe what you're asking about is a melanoma. Changes in the color of the iris, and the thickening of the iris can, but don't always, mean that your kitty has developed one. It's usually found in older cats but it doesn't rule out younger ones.

On the other hand, Toby (in my sig) had two apple green eyes until he was about 3 years old. I started to see a color changes in his right eye...it looked like this dark orangy brown was leaking in. One day it was a solid mark like your kitty's and the next week his whole eye would be speckled. It took about a full year for it to competely turn dark orange. I have a trusted friend that's a vet and I had her look at it. Turns out that he's fine...so he's a case of the "don't always". Please don't worry yourself until you've had it looked at but I'd almost bet that you're kitty is just gonna have gorgeous eyes!

She also told me that if you can see the same color in the other eye, little specks or shades of it, then it's most likely not a melanoma. Toby has them, little teeny specks of the same orangy color. If you just see specks in one eye, you should probably get it checked as soon as possible. Don't worry about the vet, that have lots of practice dealing with cats...Dixie is part barbwire, alligator and gazelle, lol, but when they handle her they do it with ease...we tend to not hold on as tight and baby them.

Came back to share a pic... This was him right before his eye changed. They both look yellow but they were bright bright clear green.
    Last edited by Fuzzybuns; 04-13-2007 at 01:48 AM.

There must be a disease of the iris' pigment, although I don't know what it's called. Just yesterday I had Polly in because her left eye, which is notably darker than her right, is so inflamed. Dr. C specifically asked questions about the pigment, how long it had been like that, etc. Not much help, I know, but maybe you can search up something?

I had a foster cat who had patches of color like that in his eyes. His were from having eye infections from when he was at the shelter, and the vet said it was scarring on his retina or whatever it is that they have (is it the same??). It didn't harm Bear's sight, but when he had horrendous eye infections at the shelter and his eyes were always pasted shut, you'd see more of them later on. While he was with me, his eyes never got like that because I always made sure I cleaned them, put ointment in them. I never saw any additional ones either.

I'd take him to the vet, ferocity or not, and have the vet check it out. Peace of mind is better for you and you should make sure kitty is not sick.

Thank you for all your help everyone.
    I will defiantly show the vet a couple of photos of Picasso's eye, but it will have to wait a bit. We are bringing Picasso in for his booster shots I think it was, in about 2 weeks. I'll ask the vet then.
    He's had this brown spot in his eye ever since we got him, and he's about a year old now, so waiting 2 more weeks to see what it is probably wont hurt.
    I'll make another post after we find out, since you guys all seem to care so much! ♥ ♪

---

Here is a link I found; I think this is what the Cat Fancy article was about.

I guess only the vet can tell you if it is cause to be worried. But if it is this stuff, the longer you wait, the worse off the cat will be. As the article says, in the early stages it is treated with meds. Only later is eye removal the only option.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/corneal...rum/page1.aspx

I don't want to alarm you or worry you but a couple of years ago when I was rescuing ferals, I thought that one of them had one blue eye and one brown eye. When I was finally able to trap her to take her in to be spayed, the vet looked at it and immediately said "This is a tumor and the surgery can be expensive." (It turned out she had other things wrong w/her, too, so I had to make the decision to have her put to sleep.) So just to be safe, have your vet check it out before it gets out of hand. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It just dawned on me that I still have a pic of Mooka, the cat that I mentioned in the previous post. Here she is and you can clearly see the tumor (the brown spot) on her left eye.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Just to be safe, take Picasso to the vet. Get him checked out then. I hope it isn't anything serious or deadly. **hugs** are coming to you and Picasso. Keep posting!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Is Picasso neutered? That could be one reason why he is so fierce at the vet's.

Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you for all the information everyone.
    We should be taking in Picasso very soon, so I the vet might get a checkout out it then. Like I said before, Picasso is pretty big for his age and very strong also. When we took him to the vet, the vet and the vet assistant both had to hold him down, and he still managed to break loose and maul the vets hand. And the assistant was literaly lying on top of Picasso.
    Scary how such an adorable face can hide so much ferocity when provoked isnt it?
    But we are going to get him neutered.
    I would have liked to sooner, and I kept on insisting to my parents that we should do it before he is 6 months old. But you can understand they were a bit hesitant.
    Of course the men of the family absolutly refused!

Ofcourse one of the reasons I want him neutered is because of the ferocity, but the thing Im worried about most, is that he might escape while the female cats in our area are in heat.
    Im a firm believer in neuter and spay.
    I dont want anymore stray cats in my neighborhood. Its too sad to see them huddled underneath the cars on cold days.
    Even more sad that I know I cant help them. All the cats probably never will get a chance to feel the warmth and love we can offer them.

---

Picasso sure is a handsome boy and I sure hope that there's nothing seriously wrong with him. Good luck at the vets and please continue to keep us updated about him.

My cat Ziggy Stardust is an odd eyed cat and she's always been this way. She's almost 10 months old now.

Picasso

My cat is ten years old. When we noticed the first spot he was two and when he was four the whole iris was covered with spots. His eyesight is perfect and he is very healthy. Take Picasso to a vet but do not have his eye removed!. I don't think so, but if he gets very ill one day then you can decide on what steps to take. And in reply to ssome comments, some cat breeds have different coloured eyes from birth. It is a trademark! Happy long years with Picasso.