Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Cat, Maximus.

My New Cat, Maximus.

Tomorrow is my fiance's birthday, and for a surprise present I got him a kitten. I decided on a kitten instead of an adult cat because we have 2 dogs and 5 ferrets, and a kitten who grows up around all of these other animals is more likely to coexist peacefully with them, and maybe even be friends, than an adult cat who might already dislike dogs or other animals.

I found a woman on craigslist who was adopting these kittens to good homes, and I went to her house armed with a new cat carrier, some toys, and all of the necessary cat stuff in my trunk where I had been hiding it from my fiance for the past day and 1/2. There were 3 kittens left, and all looked pretty similar in terms of appearance. I picked Maximus because he had the softest fur, and also liked being handled more than the other 2 kittens did. The other 2 seemed very aloof, and he enjoyed being held and receiving affection. He especially loves belly rubs - it's cute, he rolls over on his back and purrs like a motorboat when you rub his tummy!

Maximus was born on January 31st, so he is about 9-10 weeks old. His Mother is part bengal, so he has some pretty neat looking stripes - he kind of looks like a zebra, especially on his tummy. Initially when I brought the little guy home, he was pretty overwhelmed, I suppose I would be too! Both dogs wanted to sniff him over thoroughly, lick him, and play. He just wanted to sleep after his long car ride home! My fiance loves him, and says that he was 100% surprised - I don't know HOW he didn't know...when I was on my way home he called my cell phone and I answered, and the kitten meowed very very loudly from his cat carrier in the back seat. I guess he didn't hear it, lucky for me!

At first Maximus hid under the ferret crate, or under the couch, and just wanted to either be held securely or be somewhere out of sight. The dogs are a bit intimidating I'm sure! Now though, he's settled down a lot. He's playing with everything, eating a bit, and is very vocal, walking around the house meowing. He even cuddled with the dogs for a bit on their dog bed on the floor. I'm proud of them, they are being very gentle with him and giving him lots of love - they did eat his food when we weren't looking though, obviously!

Maximus has not yet used his litter box (he hasn't had an accident at all, he just hasn't gone to the bathroom, period). We've shown him where it is and rubbed his paws in it, does anyone have any other suggestions to help with that?

Here are some pictures of our newest addition to the family -

OMG, look at the widdle baby!!! He should grow into his name soon enough, though. And the dogs do look like they are good with him.

He may not need to use the litter box, don't worry about it unless it is over 24 hours. And even then, just keep a closer eye out.

Hey, you need to find a place to put his food where the dogs won't get it. Cat food is VERY high in protein; too high for dogs. It will overwork their kidneys with time, so keep them away from it. Tough, I know. I have put gates up to keep Sugar out of the cat food; AND the cat litter boxes. She likes to stick her head in and eat, YUCK.

You will need to give lots of photos as he grows. Best wishes for that little baby!

OMG! Those pix are so adorable they gave me LES! After just being involved in a rescue where a dog attacked a cat and it had to have surgery as a result, when I see pix like this and read stories like this, it makes me so happy! Maximus is adorable! What a great addition to your family!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

He is adoreable and cute as can be!!! Looks a bit frightened but it is all new to him and he will get us to his new surroundings. When he does he will be so much fun!! The dogs look like they have alread accepted him so they will be friends in no time.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Freedom, I agree, we definitely need to figure something out so that the dogs can't get to it. We were thinking about putting it up in a high place where he can get to it and they can't. Think that would work??

I'm a bit concerned about the little guy's bum. It looks a little weird - I don't know how to describe it. It's a little red in one spot...maybe I'm just being silly. He'll probably go to the bathroom soon and it will look normal again. He's probably freaked out about the new environment and doesn't know what's going on.

Medusa and Laura's Babies, I'm glad you like the pictures! Medusa, that must have been awful, seeing a cat that had been attacked like that =( Our dogs are both really submissive and gentle - they get beat up by the ferrets all of the time, it's pathetic! lol

Here are some more pics of the little guy.

All right, WHERE is the cuteness warning for this thread??!!

Maximus and the dogs, oh my, I never saw anything so sweet!

Edit your title and say "new pics post 5"

Gee. I am going to have sweet dreams tonight, he he. Thanks!!

How do I edit a title (and what does new pics post 5 mean??)

This is my favorite picture of the batch so far

Molly makes the cutest faces sometimes!! She keeps going over to where Maximus is sleeping and picking her paw up and nudging him with it a few times like to say "Hey, get up and play lazy bones" and then when he doesn't, she makes this funny groaning sound and curls up next to him like "FINE. Then I have no choice but to lay down with you." They're such characters!

Lucy keeps getting so excited when she sees him that she's shaking, literally - it's soo funny. She makes a high pitched whining noise and her eyes bug out of her head...looks like she's about to have a seizure. I can practically hear her saying "Mom, is he staying?! Can he stay for good? Please? Can I KEEP HIM???" lol

OMG!!! These pics are precious! Those dogs are so sweet with that little guy!! I just want to hug them all! I like the pic with Molly nudging the kitten, like, hey you, you awake?? It's adorable, and the one with her looking at the camera and the kitty asleep. What sweeties you have!!!

Thanks Jenn! I'm really proud of how the dogs are welcoming this little guy into the house. Naturally they're curious and over excited about it, but they're both being very gentle with him and I think it's probably helping him not miss his litter mates AS much, having other animals around.

I really like the photos of your cats in your signature Are their names Love, faith, hope and joy? I wonder what Maximus will look like when he's all grown up

Those are the most adorable pics I have seen in awhile. I think it is so wonderful that your dogs have accepted Maximus so quickly and lovingly.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

What a simply gorgeous little young man! He's super cute! I'm looking forward to watching him grow up on pet talk
    I want to see him grow, get neutered, learn to be bold and fall off things, cuddle, sleep in funny positions, all the things you go through with a cat

Oh gosh, what a super adorable baby!!! It is fantastic to see how your dogs looh after this little cat
    Maximus will grow into a huge cat, I think. He looks a bit like a Main Coon to me
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

It looks like he's made himself right at home, thank you very much!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

What a nice addition to your family. He really seems to be settling in.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Those Dogs certainly have made Maximus feel at home.
    I would be careful though that he doesnt get into the habit of eating with them as Dog Foods not good for a Kitten.
    I would get one of those plexi glass things for hos litter box where he can go in but his Canine Plas cant as they might knock it over and soil it.
    What a wonderful Little Cat Of The Future.
    Dont be surpised if he starts barking!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS