Thread: Just FYI -

Just FYI -

I've read that potpourri should be kept away from our furchildren because of the oils used. I filed that info away because I don't generally use potpourri; I do use scented candles and am extremely careful to put those where the cats can't reach.

Recently, I bought a set consisting of a small glass vase, some essential oil, and three rigid wicks with artificial lilacs attached. I love the fragrance of lilacs and thought this would be a good way to have it in the bedroom and not have to worry about extinguishing a candle. It's attractive and I put it on my bedside table. Sometime during Monday night, I upset it - and that woke me. More asleep than awake, I reached for some tissues to mop up the spill. I noticed that the top of the table seemed sticky - and I knew that couldn't be right; this was just *oil*, right?

Daylight brought the truth. That oil had not only taken the finish totally off my table, but it had spilled onto my cell phone - and I wish I could let you see what it didl. The phone looked as if it had exploded! Plastic pieces were falling off, and the face separated from the insides. It was a flip phone - and the two pieces were detached. Obvioiusly, I've had to purchase a new phone.

The danger to our cats is more than blatant here; I cleaned the area thoroughly and dried it. I now have a towel over it, although I believe it's unnecessary at this point. But suppose one of the cats had walked through that oil and then licked paws to get it off???

I thought I'd better just make people aware of how highly corrosive this seemingly benign substance is! If you have any liquid or dry potpourri (which is soaked in the oil), please be very, very certain that your cats can't possibly get to it.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I imagine it would have much the same effect on dogs also. After reading your post I went and removed mine from the top of my dresser, I'll have to decide if it's worth keeping it or not.
    Thanks for posting this, very informative .
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Great stuff, thanks.

This is good to know. I recently got a couple of oil things that you put sticks in to scent the room. I haven't opened them yet. And now I'm thinking I might give them to my mom. She doesn't have cats.
    Thank you!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for informing us about this. I'm glad that none of your cats go into it. I don't like using candles around my cats or anything that isn't pet friendly. I finally found something that absorbs odors that is both pet and kid friendly and it's nontoxic too. It's called Fresh Wave. Here's the link: http://www.fresh-wave.com/.

Absolutely!!!! There was a situation a few years back where a friend of mine had an electric potpourri burner. She poured some of the liquid stuff in it and thought nothing more of it. Well, one of her cats decided to take a sip, and liked it so much, they drank more.

The cat wound up in the hospital very sick from it. That's why I only use candles and jars with those smelly beads in it. The cat survived, but almost didn't.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Wow! Who would think that a cat would actually drink that stuff? Glad it had a happy ending.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea