Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storm & Pearl's Vet Visit- Update On Storm's Latest Thyroid Test 5-15-11

Storm & Pearl's Vet Visit- Update On Storm's Latest Thyroid Test 5-15-11

Today I took both Pearl and Storm in for their annual exams. Pearl cried the whole way and Storm was very quiet in the car. Storm decided to make himself heard though when we were at the vets. Pearl weighed in at 8.8lbs and she's 5 years and 11 months old. Last year she weighed in at 9lbs so she's okay in the weight dept. My vet said that she's in excellent health and her teeth look great too. I was thrilled because I've been brushing everyone's teeth once a week for quite a while now.

Storm is 15 years and 3 months old and he only weighed in at 12.8lbs. He's been feeling skinny and boney to me lately and this confirmed it. I looked up last years weight and he was 14.1lbs. My vet also felt a small nodule on his thyroid so they took some blood. They'll be doing both a thyroid and a comp panel. I should know the results some time tomorrow. Please send some positive vibes Storms way that they results will be good ones. Thanks in advance. My vet did say that all in all though Storm does look good for his age which I was very happy to hear.

One funny thing that happended, while I was trying to find Storm to put in the carrier, Blaze hopped in and he was all ready to go to the vets. When I got home and let out both Pearl and Storm, Blaze hopped in the carrier again. I guess it's not a threat to him just yet. I'll have to see how he is in August when he and Alani go in for their annual checkups.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 05-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Prayers for Storm that all turns out well.

As for the carrier incident? Pinot walks right into a carrier, too. Our RB kitty Jamara never went in one. She turned into psycho kitty so we gave up trying.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Good to hear it all went well organization wise. Thumbs up for the Pearl girl. And paws crossed for Storm- let's hope it is only some old age ailments and that he is ok otherwise.

Hey Pearl, Hi Storm, sure hope you got some treats and / or chin rubs once you were home again!

Paws crossed for easy to cope with test results.

Prayers for Storm that the test results are good. Well done, Pearl!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Tracey, I hope Storm's bloodwork will come back with fine results. It could be that now it's warmer, he doesn't have quite the appetite as during winter. What are you feeding him? Older cats tend to lose muscle mass also, but I'm sure you that.

I'm glad Pearl's health is so good. I'm impressed you are able to brush their teeth. I have tried that few times with Fister and he is not amused!

Give them all some kisses from me!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Tracey, I hope Storm's bloodwork will come back with fine results. It could be that now it's warmer, he doesn't have quite the appetite as during winter. What are you feeding him? Older cats tend to lose muscle mass also, but I'm sure you that.

I'm glad Pearl's health is so good. I'm impressed you are able to brush their teeth. I have tried that few times with Fister and he is not amused!

Give them all some kisses from me!
    Yes, I do know that older cats lose muscle mass as they age. I'm feeding the older cats Wellness Core dry and some of the Wellness grain free canned as well as some Natural Balance canned Chicken & Green Pea and Salmon & Green Pea. Some days Storm doesn't eat well but other days he has a big appetite. Alani & Blaze are on Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul in dry Light for extra fiber and also some of the canned in adult hairball formula. They just didn't do well on the Wellness.

Thanks everyone. I hope to hear some good news and I'll report back later tonight about it. I sure hope he won't need to be on more medication. I also forgot to add that he does have some gingivitis but in general his teeth look great because they don't have tartar build up since I've been brushing them once a week. None of the cats like it but it has to be done so I just open up their mouths and go over their teeth a few times and I even brush their tongues.

Great Update!!!

Thanks again for all of the good vibes and prayers. All of Storm's blood work results are normal. He's not eating as well again today so I still don't know what's up with him. He's even on pred which is supposed to increase his appetite. Hopefully he'll eat better tomorrow.

Dear handsome Storm... your fellow grey kitty Cassie and I hope that you can eat better tomorrow! You are such a beautiful guy, and I'm glad your lab work looked good.

P.S., kisses for Storm and Pearl, Sky and Ziggy Stardust, Blaze and Alani!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Dear handsome Storm... your fellow grey kitty Cassie and I hope that you can eat better tomorrow! You are such a beautiful guy, and I'm glad your lab work looked good.

P.S., kisses for Storm and Pearl, Sky and Ziggy Stardust, Blaze and Alani!
    Thanks so much Elyse and Cassie. I guess yesterday wore him out because he's been so tired ever since his vet visit.

Great to hear Storm is doing well!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

So glad to hear Storm's results came back normal. I hope his appetite will pick up, also! It seems you're feeding him all kinds of yummy and healthy stuff. Give him a big kiss from me! .... and the others, too.

Fister gets fed up with his food quickly, so I try to change between different senior brands, but one funny thing is that if I feed him by his cat tower, where I brush him and give him treats, then he will eat what he won't eat in the kitchen.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Good news on the blood work, hooray!

Try giving him a different brand of canned. Just buy 1 can of anything, see if it is the food. Or put some chicken broth on his food. See if any of that tempts him.

I know my dogs refused to eat Wellness.

So glad Storms blood work came back okay. I hope you can get him to eat something. I remember going through the same thing with Taz. I spent years dealing with him being overweight and then suddenly I was trying to get him to gain weight.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Another Update

Thanks but he's not out of the woods just yet. My vet called and left a message this morning at 7:15am while I was in the shower. She said that his thyroid test came back a high normal so she thinks he may have hyperthyroidism which was what I was afraid of. She wants to do an add on test which is called a free T test to confirm this. I called back and I had to leave a voice message because she was busy with a client. Please keep the prayers coming and I'll let you know something as soon as I get these results.

Storm mainly ate canned food yesterday so he had some diarrhea last night before bed. He decided to wake me up at 4:30am and he wanted loving. He kept getting in my face and waking me up so I had to let in out of my bedroom. He seemed very hungry this morning and ate his canned and most of his dry food and now he's taking another nap. To me he also seems extra tired. I wonder if hyperthyroidism causes this too or it's just old age. Thanks again.