Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: All my cats May have kidney failure from recalled food

Kiri's kidneys shut down entirely but were able to start functioning again. Her treatment mostly involved lots of fluids. Amazingly, her kidney levels very quickly returned to normal!

The vets who have seen her seem to doubt that the food was to blame--even though she ate food that was on the recall list. They all think that there's something else going on. But the point is that acute renal failure can be reversible.

Carla, I'm SO sorry to hear about this nightmare!

However, I have to agree that the levels you posted are only marginally high. I don't remember exactly what Tubby's were, but I know they were higher and he lived almost 3 years after his original diagnosis, and he was diagnosed at 15 1/2. Therefore, I feel that since you caught it early, you can make changes in their diets to help prevent any further damage. With Tubby, the vet told me that the damage that was already done can't be reversed, but further damage can be prevented, or delayed at the worst.

Good luck, {{{hugs}}} and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire tribe.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady
    The gal I know from another forum, is from Ohio and she signed up.
    It appears that it doesnt matter what state your from to sign.
    Mike was unable to find one for Maine except a bunch of private lawyers.
    Thanks.
    Me and Mike talked and since our cats are not dead than we may not sign.Plus I may wait because ALL my cats may be sick.And accually...I just don't know what to do.I went on the site just now and it asked for all info...vet info included plus the pets names and which food.I would need to talk to my vet first before signing.I can't do that to him unless we all talk about it.It's only fair to him.(My vet).He's been so good about caring for my cats.

Thanks everyone else too.I didn't know accute was irreversable.That's good to know.And as far as giving them kidney food?No way can I give it to them and my vet agreed today with us how hard it would be in my house.I have too many cats and they aren't dying yet.
    Maybe if they get worse...I'll have to seperate the ones that will need it.That means spending a couple thousand or so testing everying and seperating up the cats!My normal cats cannot eat it...at least I don't think.Does anyone know if regualar cats can eat that kidney food?If so...I'll feed them all it.Then the food bill will double but at least they won't die right?
    The past couple days cost around 500 and we will have to forfeight 2 bills at the end of the month.I guess I took on too much.This is OK...the 500 but when it goes into a few thousand(For testing ALL the cats)...we'll be in trouble.
    I really cannot get too upset right now because it may be irreversable.And if it is...I can test one at a time on their yearly vet visits or 3 year shot visits I should say.
    I have 7 due in June.The kittens and Jasmine for their second Rabies,distemper.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Would your vet do the testing for free? or at a reduced rate since you have multiples?

I'd keep the class action stuff in the back ground, they are reinbursing for treatments of pets that lived. Your vet should be able to provide the needed information without to much trouble. He would be providing (documentation wise) the necessary information that would prove the food made them sick.

Good Luck
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady
    Would your vet do the testing for free? or at a reduced rate since you have multiples?

I'd keep the class action stuff in the back ground, they are reinbursing for treatments of pets that lived. Your vet should be able to provide the needed information without to much trouble. He would be providing (documentation wise) the necessary information that would prove the food made them sick.

Good Luck
    I guess your right.I'll need to sign one from my state though...I would think.
    He won't do it for free.He's not THAT nice.lol
    My old vet in Massachusetts...I bet he would of done the rest of the cats blood tests for free.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

I don't know if you are interested in trying something like this, but there are recipes for home-made cat food for cats in renal failure. Here is the link if you are interested

http://users.ameritech.net/critterz/crf_recipes.htm

I know it would be alot of work, but maybe if it was just temporary, i.e. until their kidneys start back up...

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled
    I don't know if you are interested in trying something like this, but there are recipes for home-made cat food for cats in renal failure. Here is the link if you are interested

http://users.ameritech.net/critterz/crf_recipes.htm

I know it would be alot of work, but maybe if it was just temporary, i.e. until their kidneys start back up...
    Thank you so much..I printed it all out.All the recipees.we'll talk it over...me and my husband...then our vet.

Wow. I'm sorry to read about this. You poor thing.

Thinking of you. . .
    Don't Breed & Buy
    While Homeless Pets Die
    Ritchi
    Sammi