Thread: How to ease the dogs to the new house?

How to ease the dogs to the new house?

My dogs love their routines.. Everyday they do the same things at the same times, and sleep in the same places. They're trained to potty outside in the backyard, but do not have a specific spot (the backyard is huge, and abandoned by the house's owner, so as his tenant, we don't care much!). When we move to our first house, we do not want the dogs to consider the entire backyard their toilets How do I train them to use a specific spot? Also, the house is much bigger than my old guesthouse studio, is there anything else I should be aware of when moving the dogs?

Also, I hate to disrupt their routines when we move.. How do I help them adjust to the new place & new routines withour any problems? For example, they won't be able to sleep in the same room with us anymore...

I want to make sure that the move is as easy on the 3Ms as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks ~Jessie~

Train them easiest by going back to the leash, for a couple of weeks at least. Simply walk them to the spot you want used, praise like the dickens, and reinforce it. They will pick up quickly and use that spot. Worked everytime with my guys!

Good luck and congrats on your OWN house !!!
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy

they won't be able to sleep in the same room with us anymore ...
    How come?
    I'll wager THAT won't go over too well with the FurKids!

Is there some reason that they're no longer welcome to share the bedroom?
    Somebody *snoring*?
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    How come?
    I'll wager THAT won't go over too well with the FurKids!

Is there some reason that they're no longer welcome to share the bedroom?
    Somebody *snoring*?
    that is also my main concern. At least they will be very confused at first, as to how come we disappear at night time. . but the new master bedroom is not big enough for our bed, and theirs.

Right now, we live in a one-room studio, but it's big - so everything is together in one place. The 3Ms are not allowed on our bed. They sleep in their own beds which is place adjacent to ours, when we move to the new place, this arrangement won't be possible..

Thanks ~Jessie~

when i bought my house, i worried that it would be difficult for alex to recognize it as ours. i scattered dirty clothes in the rooms so it would smell of us ( eau-de-sock) and a dear friend kept him on moving day, so he wasn't in danger of bolting while the truck was being packed. hope this helps
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

We moved less than a year ago into this house and most of my dogs were pretty comfortable here with in the first couple days. They had their beds, blankets, and toys from the "old" house, as well as all our furniture and things, all that helped them settle in.

Bitsy however took several weeks, but she's always had issues with anxiety. Because of her anxiety she was sick to her stomach (mostly diarrhea) for a few weeks. She did eventually settle in though.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy
    that is also my main concern. At least they will be very confused at first, as to how come we disappear at night time. . but the new master bedroom is not big enough for our bed, and theirs.
    Maybe you could try leaving the door open until they get adjusted. They will have their beds though, so that will be a huge comfort to them.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla