Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

Some of you have asked me about where I work. About the weather, etc. This video done by Ford explains a lot about our working conditions. Click on "Get Inside" once it loads up to view the movie.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2...aska/index.asp

I work with some of these people. None of them are actors. Once you view this, you might appreciate just why I thought it was so STUPID for the store to be selling flip-flops and lawn furniture!

Editing to see if the link will "stick" this time. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by kuhio98; 04-07-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Ummm.... Either this baby is eating more brain cells then I thought... or there isn't a link
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

WOW!!! After watching that, I'm sitting here freezing and I'm in sunny Florida!! Is it ever cold there! YIKES!! Seriously, do you ever have any warm weather there at all? If you don't mind answering, how did you end up there? I've heard that the Alaskan government pays some people to live there(something like that)and I can certainly see why

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Ok I am the crazy one who loves the cold. Any jobs for a middle aged female up there?

absolutely fascinating.......

and i learned alot......i had no idea of the negative temps to that degree........i had heard of small amounts of daylight.....did i hear right.....only 2 hours a day?......actually that was a good "clip".....thanx for sharing!!!

Thanks to PCB!

I like the cold and snow, but not that cold! Hubby and I both drive Ford trucks.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

OMG! *thanks Tennessee for 30 degree weather* I'm sitting here freezing to death, and it's like 60 degrees warmer than you. How can you stand such cold temperatures?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

OMG! ... That sure looks *cccccc.C.O.L.D*!!!

You and that crazy Yukon Girl (Glacier/Tamara) can split my share of the Cold!

But it IS comforting to know that there are Folks like you who will work in
    those conditions - for the betterment of all of us sun-worshipers!
    **THANKS**

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

WOW
    Now THAT'S COLD! I don't think I'd ever get out of the truck.

But before trucks, there were.....SLED DOGS! And years from now,
    when the oil runs out, there will still be SLED DOGS! GO huskies!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes

But before trucks, there were ... SLED DOGS!

And years from now,
    when the oil runs out,
    there will still be SLED DOGS!

GO huskies!
    We need to be sure those Huskies can *SWIM*!

'Cuz when we finally burn up all the oil ~ we'll probably have jacked up
    the Temperature so high all that Alaskan ICE is gonna melt!

Did Noah write down the plans for the Arc?
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

After seeing that video I will never again complain about having 0 deg F temp and 2 inches of snow.

...but if I worked there I would be inclined to set up the lawn furniture and an umbrella as a joke...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah
    WOW!!! After watching that, I'm sitting here freezing and I'm in sunny Florida!! Is it ever cold there! YIKES!! Seriously, do you ever have any warm weather there at all? If you don't mind answering, how did you end up there? I've heard that the Alaskan government pays some people to live there(something like that)and I can certainly see why
    Prudhoe Bay gets up into the 70's in the summer. That is warm for us! Actually, that warm of weather causes some equipment problems. All of the equipment up here is made to run well in cold temperatures.

Now, I object to the term "end up there". I choose to live in Alaska because I love it. I absolutely hate hot weather. But many people who work in Prudhoe Bay commute from warmer places. One of the guys who runs the camp I live in lives in Miami. He flies up here to work for 4 weeks then flies home for 2 weeks.

Residents of Alaska are eligible for the Permanent Dividend Fund. It's like owning shares of stock in a large corporation. The proceeds of Alaska oil sales is invested in the stock market. We are the stockholders. So, every year, they do the calculations and the profits are divied up among all qualified (you have to have lived here at least a year) Alaskans. Last year we got about $1000 each. Here is some history on it if you're interested: http://www.apfc.org/homeObjects/tabPermFund.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2
    Ok I am the crazy one who loves the cold. Any jobs for a middle aged female up there?
    Well, I'm 47 so evidently, they do!

Are you a welder, pipefitter, electrician, qualified in instrumentation?
    build scaffold, plumber, painter, mechanic, heavy equipment operator?

No? Me neither.

I got hired because of my computer skills. Because someone needs to track things on computers so I've got a warm, inside job.

If you're not confident in your computer skills, we also employ chefs, cooks, housekeepers, etc.

If you're interested in pursuing it, please send me a PM so we can exchange e-mail addresses and discuss it further.

I absolutely love working here. I basically only work 6 months out of the year. They fly me from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay. I stay here for 2 weeks. I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They feed me and house me (think of a dorm room). Then I fly home to Bobcat and the kittys for 2 weeks.

It's not for everyone. A few years ago we all did personalty studies. We found out the overwhelming majority of us are introverts. We don't need a lot of stimulation to have a good time. On our "down time", we're happy watching TV, reading a book etc. We can entertain ourselves.

There is no alcohol allowed. We're all drug tested, etc. I'm always surprised at the folks who lose a good paying job over drugs and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillycat
    and i learned alot......i had no idea of the negative temps to that degree........i had heard of small amounts of daylight.....did i hear right.....only 2 hours a day?......actually that was a good "clip".....thanx for sharing!!!
    Yes, you hear right. In the winter, we are lucky to get 2 hours of daylight -- and then it's more of "dawn"light. The sun barely rises over the horizon. It look like it's sitting pretty much on the ground. Then it disappears. But, in the summer, the sun pretty much never sets. It's daylight almost 24 hours day.

I watched the video and all I can say is BRRRRRRRRRRR!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!