Today, I was speaking to a woman who lives just down from us who's dogs I posted photos of in the other thread and I told her about finding the dead dog. She asked where it was and when I said the general location, her face changed and she asked me what type of dog it was. When I described it, she said she knew who's it was and that it had drowned.

She went on to say that the owner was walking it about 2 months ago and the water was covered in ice. The dog ventured onto the ice and it broke and it couldn't get out. The owner saw her disappear under the water and he jumped in to try and save her but he couldn't find her.
He stayed there soaking wet for two hours hoping she'd reappear but nothing.

The woman said he had told her about it later and could hardly get the words out he was so gutted. He'd been down since to see if he could find her but he obviously hadn't.
Anyway, I told Marilyn that I'd called the dog warden and they'd sent two streetpride guys out to get her and she's been taken to be cremated.
She said she'd tell the owner when she saw him next so that he could finally get some closure to it all.
I did mention that it would be better off him not seeing her in the state she was in when I found her. If he had, that image would haunt him for the rest of his life. At least he can just remember her as she was when she was alive now.