Thread: Tikeya had a Tick!!!!!

Tikeya had a Tick!!!!!

We have been Taking the dogs up into the bush with us lately to run, and I guess Tikeya picked up a Tick somwhere along the way...
    I was petting her tonight and I felt (what I thought was a wart) on her leg, I moved apart her fur to reveal the discusting little creature that burrowed into her skin... I called my boyfriend out and he said it had leggs, and I told him to run and get some tweezers...
    I put the tweezers as close to her skin as I could, and pulled the tick out, It came out with a chunk of skin in its mouth and left a hole!!!.. It was the sickest thing ever, it was wiggling its creepy leggs around, and YUKKKK!!!
    So Of course once it started wiggling I freaked out and ran inside, My boyfriend burned it to death...

So should I call the vet now? can ticks make dogs really sick??

I looked on google and I the closest thing I could find to resemble what was on Tikeya was the American Dog Tick..
    Heres a pic...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

YES, you should call the vet right now! Ticks can cause lyme disease and you should have her brought to the vet ASAP to have them do bloodwork and make sure she is okay.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Even after you take you dog to the vet to have blood work done now keep track of this tick bite, your dog may never have an affect but my boxer boy Duke got a tick on him when he was about 2-1/2, roughly a year later he started having problems with his hips and of course naturally they though hip dysplasia. They did x-rays and there was no sign of that. Then he began to get the shakes and not acting right, pacing around, sitting-standing, sitting-standing. I took him back to the vet and said something is not right with him and that something needed to be done. He checked him over again and was baffeled because he always acts normal at the vet. I was in tears. I looked at the vet and said I know something is wrong with him, I know my dog. The vet asked if he had had any tick bites. I told him about a year ago. He said that was it and decided to do blood work. Well it came back he was positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It took a year for him to show any signs of an infection from that tick. Just keep this in mind if your dog shows arthitics changes in the joints or in walking or sitting stiffness, not that this is it but just in case. He is now 6.5 and gets flare ups a couple times a year where he needs antiobiotics, the arthritis in his hips has not gotten any worse, actually his execise has been increased and seems to have improved the arthritis as he does not get as stiff any more. Good luck.

Ok, I have noticed that her one legg (the one the tick was on) has been shakey, like she has a hard time holding it up for belly rubs and stuff... and it only atarted about a week ago (about the time when we first took the dogs up into the bush for a run)... I bet that is when she got the first bite!!!.. I am going to call the vet right away on my first break at work..

I'll update

My sister found a tick on her pup and he must've got it off the back garden because he hasn't been anywhere else. It probably fell of a hedgehog.
    She removed it by heating some tweezers up on a lighter flame and then when she grabbed the tick with it, it let go because of the heat and so didn't take a chunk of skin out. They then put it into boiling water to finish it off.
    If you find a tick again, maybe try that to prevent taking a chunk out.

Lyme disease is a lot less common here in the UK than in the US but my sister is still keeping a watch over him but he seems to be fine.

We've had ticks on previous dogs before and non of them every got lyme disease fortunately. Our Jess and Mist were lucky they never had a tick.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

yuck, I hate ticks, they're disgusting. There were a lot of them in Illinois when we lived there. Star got one, so I took her to the vet & they removed it, although they said it looked like she had squashed it with her teeth - it was already dead. She did get a hot spot there till it healed, but fortunately no other ailments, and it was many years ago. We'll keep all paws crossed Tikeya is ok. Please hug your pretty girl for me.

Well I phoned the vet, and they asked if I had kept the tick... I said no (wish I would have), they said within 24 hours, if she starts acting differently, or walking weird, call them asap and make an appointment for blood work to be done.. It has been 24 hours and she has been acting just fine.. her little owie (where the tick was attached) is totally healed... so maybe we got lucky this time.

Keep a record though because it can take months for any signs of lyme disease to appear.

If you do notice anything like lameness, lethargy etc..further down the line, be sure to mention that tick to the vet.

Hopefully, she'll be fine.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

I put the tweezers as close to her skin as I could, and pulled the tick out, It came out with a chunk of skin in its mouth and left a hole!!!.. It was the sickest thing ever, it was wiggling its creepy leggs around, and YUKKKK!!!
    To remove the tick, drop few drops of oil (olive oil, etc...) over the tick, will lose grip and you can remove it without harming the dog.

I take the tick off and then I throw them in the fire-place. I always get worried though. The first time minnie got a tick i had to run to the groomer.. it was a little funny actually

I'll say a prayer for Tikeya. I don't know much about ticks. I only found one on a dog that was a neighbor's and he took it off. They are really disgusting. And so huge. I don't know how long they have to be on the dog for them to get so big b/c I heard they are as tiny as a dot. Can a dog show symptoms right away or does it have to take a while? I've always had a fenced-in yard and I never really left them out very long. When we went for walks, it was on a paved road. I guess I've been really lucky all this time. Fleas are another story - OMG did I have an incident with that - and I hope I never do again. That was a nightmare. Please let us know how Tikeya is.