Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the second time in his short life, Hugito is rushed to the ER!

For the second time in his short life, Hugito is rushed to the ER!

On Friday, we were doing the whole "no meat Catholic" thing. I gave Hugito some catfish mixed in his macaroni. He LOVED it! He gobbled it right up. Then, I notice that his skin is really red where the cheese sauce was on around his mouth, chin and neck. I figured his skin might be having a reaction to the fish. I tried getting him out of his highchair to get him clean up and BLAH! He starts throwing up! I took off his clothes to get him cleaned up and he's skin is beet red! He's allergic to the fish. Off to the ER we go.

I called his pediatrician on the way and she also suggests we get him to the ER. I was terrified that his throat was going to close as his eyes and lips were swelling something awful. I hauled a$& to the hospital. They took him in right away (I LOVE that hospital). His throat wasn't closing thank God, but he did break out in hives. He was totally covered in them within 30 minutes of eating the fish. They gave him some Benadryl and some steroids at first, but once they saw that his hives were getting worse, they gave him some epinephrine.

The whole time, my sweet little boy never bothered. He was still his happy little self except when they gave him his shot. As a matter of fact, he was jumping on the bed and cooing the entire time.

They watched him to make sure his throat didn't close, and they sent him home.

He's fine now, but most likely he'll be allergic to seafood his entire life.

Just thought you might want to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Aw, that sucks. I'm glad you got him to the hospital, though! And, at least you know what he's allergic to. I'm sorry for poor Hugito!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Better to find out now than later in life when you aren't around to notice the reaction. Hugito and I now share something in common, as I am also allergic to fish now. Thankfully in his case, he *may* grow out of it. As I developed the allergy as an adult, no such luck, but I can still hope.

In any case, if we're ever at a fish fry, I'll share my french fries with Hugito, and the rest of you can have our fish. Deal?

How scary, I could feel how you must have felt while reading your post. I have never heard of an allergy to fish, shellfish yes but not other fish. I would not have known what was happening.

Thank god our beautiful precious Hugito is okay.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

How scary!!! I'm glad that you reacted quickly and were able to take him to the ER. I'm also glad that he's now fine.

Glad everything is okay.

just a word of caution from someone that has allergies: did you cook or spice the catfish in anything unusual?
    If not, then it's the catfish.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I am so glad your baby is okay. Thank goodness you found out now! Give him a big hug for me!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

A note to everyone who reads this: anything you eat can be a source of an allergic reaction, not just common things like shellfish and nuts or peanuts.

Speaking as someone who is allergic to as diverse items as celery and beef (among others) just because you've never heard of some being allergic to something doesn't mean you aren't!

Heck, I even sprung a new one on my well-experienced allergist. I am "allergic" to Sucralose, the artificial sweetener. She said that's nothing they could test for, even, as it doesn't have a "protien" that would cause an allergic reaction, but the symptoms I get after drinking anything with sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) in it perfectly matches other allergic reaction I have had.

Still glad our Hugito is okay, and momma was quick enough to spot the reaction and got him to the hospital in a timely fashion. I am also glad he lost none of his equanimity given the situation, and that he was still a happy baby through most of the ordeal. Do, please, give that boy a raspberry on the tummy for me, okay?

Aww! Poor Hugito and family! We are all glad that he is okay, though!

My heart was pounding as I read this. I am soooo glad your little sweetheart is OK.

[QUOTE=Karen]Better to find out now than later in life when you aren't around to notice the reaction. [/quote=Karen]

Karen is so right. Thank God this didn't happen when he was maybe a teenager and out with friends, etc. Good to know now! A friend of mine was never allergic to seafood and several years ago she was eating at a restaurant in Williamsburg, VA when the same thing happened as with Hugito. She was at the table when she broke out and her throat began to close up. She is fine today but has not eaten any seafood since then and never will.

Poor Hugito! And poor mommy, you must have been scared to death! I glad little Hugito is ok.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thank god Hugito is okay!! What a scare!!

Karen is so right, My niece is allergic to most things! she cannot eat out, at school, or even at a friends house as she has to be very carefull, something as simple as a friends birthday cake could spark off her allergies! Her mom has to make everything she eats by scratch. Her bigest issue is with anything made from soy!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    Just thought you might want to know.
    Of course we want to know! Hugito - and the other PT babies - are as much a par of PT as our pets!!

So glad this worked out as it did, with no lasting meds or treatments. Just avoid the seafoods. Quick action on your part, mom, good for you!

Oh my goodness! what a scare. I was worked up just reading this, I can't imagine how you must have felt to see your baby having a reaction like that!

(I guess he'll now be a vegetarian during fridays in lent )

((((HUGS)))))

I was on pins and needles reading of little hugo's experience. Isn't it amazing that he was so happy and playful during the whole thing! I would have thought he would have been itching like mad! GOOD JOB MOM!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!