Thread: Selling our house...road noise...suggestions really appreciated!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Selling our house...road noise...suggestions really appreciated!

The title says it all. We are getting ready to put our house on the market, but David's tried before and most of the comments he got were about the "road noise" on our street. We are next to a relatively busy street, not a highway or anything. Still an attractive street, just busy, especially during work rush hours. The road noise doesn't and hasn't ever bothered me, but apparently it's a big deal. Our neighbors have their house on the market and they are getting the "road noise" comment, too. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to put a positive spin on that or even drown the noise out slightly while people are visiting the house? I mean, if you have the radio or tv on (at a normal volume) or if you're having a conversation, you don't notice the noise. It's only if you are standing outside in the backyard or by an open window that you notice it. Anyway, any suggestions for selling the house, but specifically about dealing with the road noise issue, would be greatly appreciated!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Put some music softly on the stereo. If anyone mentions the road noise, say that you never really noticed it, as it becomes "white noise" that even helps you get to sleep at night. Say some people pay money for tapes of "white noise" but this house comes equipped!

How well is the house insulated? When we got oam insulation blown into our house (when I was a kid) it cut the road noise by an amazing amount. We had never even really noticed it before, but had to get used to it being so quiet!

Also planting bushes between the house and the road, when they grow in, will help muffle road noise, too.

Music in the back ground would be good. Try to show the house on "off hours" or weekends when there might be less traffic.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Thanks, guys! I was already thinking of the music thing, I'm more worried about when they go outside. I'm thinking of ways to keep people out of the backyard, haha. But, they'll hear the road noise as they enter...

Karen, I was thinking of the "white noise" factor, too...it totally works for me in that way!

Thanks again, I really hope we can sell it without completely losing out.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

As someone who lives next to a road, I can attest to "white noise" helping me sleep at night. It never occured to me that the traffic would be any issue (though we now want to get a fence because of Cameron) but for noise? It never even occurs to me.

You can tell them at least it is not next to an airport! LOL

I live right off a busy roadway and a block from the fire station. My street is like a crossroad to everywhere. There are alot of sirens, road noise, and many other things going on. I never notice it at all. It's just something you forget about, most of the time, right away because you have your own things going on inside.

I've seen shows on HGTV where people live in large cities. They usually have privacy fences that mask the noise. Their back yards are like little getaways. So much in fact, sometimes, they completely forget where they actually live.

Kari, if anyone mentions it, the best thing to do is act as if you don't know what they're talking about. As Karen said, good insulation(sound proofing) should take care of everything. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thanks for the pointers. I just hope we can sell the house. Our neighbors are having no luck at all. They told us that they're playing music and the only negative feedback they are getting at all about the house is the road noise. We are not near a highway, it's just a street that gets busy. It's crazy. Oh, well, we are getting ready to start our open house sessions, so we'll find out soon enough. The house is starting to look really good, I just hope we find someone who's not worried about the noise. Wish us luck!

Well, it's probably too late to plant a huge hedge, but that would definately drown some of the noise.

Good luck selling it!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.