Thread: Does he have Maine Coon in him?

Does he have Maine Coon in him?

I have a 7 year old black/white cat. His name is Joey. He is very gentle, laid-back guy you could ever meet. My boy doesn't hissed, scratched, growl or bitten anyone. Very affectionate guy, he talks when he wants something. Has tuffs sticking out of his paws, he has a mane around his neck and has longer fur on his tummy. Loves being around people, very social. I was told before that Joey has some Maine Coon in him. They said, he has a big muzzle just like the breed. Maybe he is part Ragdoll because he flops down instead of laying right down. Please let me know! I would like a second opinion. I know he isn't a regular black and white cat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Closeupofjoey.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	35008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joeyinhisbasket.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	35009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joeyinhisshelf.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	35010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joeylayingonthebackofthecouch.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	35011  

He MAY have some Maine Coon in him. But I suspect he's just a plain old (and VERY HANDSOME!!) black and white domestic long hair or DLH for short.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    He looks very MC to me - the tufted ears, the nose, the long fur. Is his fur soft and silky? MC fur is silky soft. I see he has the curly tummy fur that my Mishi does. Does he like to play in/with water? MC's are water cats. Does he talk a lot? (My Mishi is a talker).

Whatever his mix, he's very cute!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Well whatever he is, he is gorgeous. One cuddly little man.

And is that a box of Maccas fries behind him in picture no.2? !!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

He looks MC to me in the face, chubby cheeks. There are a lot of Maine Coon websites that show pictures. Either way he is so pretty. Here is a picture of my MC Boscoe.

Torties and Tortoiseshells

What is the difference between Tortie, Tortoiseshell, and Calico cats? I just got a new kitten, and I think she is either a Tortoiseshell or a calico. The shelter said she was calico. She is black, orange, and white. Her paws are white, but her limbs have an orange tabby stripe and a black stripe. She is adorable, and I am just wondering her breed. I will show pictures soon.
    THANKS!

PS. I think Joey the cat is a black white DLH and Maine Coon Mix.

OIly Maine Coons

He looks like my pure bred Maine Coon but lacks the oily fur under his neck. All MC I've known have fur so oily as to need a bath every few weeks at least; mine does. His square mussle and ear placement is right and if he has a rectangular heavy body style, extra long tail and oily fur he is surely MC. He is one beautiful fellow!

Description clarification on calico etc...

Hi, Catloverforever.

This is my understanding of the various names:

Calico refers to a cat with brown, black, and orange patches on a white background.

Tortoiseshell is a dilution of brown, tans, dilute oranges etc on a black background. The colored areas, other than black, are usually smaller and more scattered than in a calico. Distribution is often over the body as opposed to patches like in a calico.

Tortie, I'm not sure about but believe it to be a shortened form of tortoiseshell. Perhaps someone else can clarify that one?

Hope that helps.

Callie

Thank you, Callie

Thank you very much, Callie, for your verification of Calicos, Torties, and Tortoiseshell cats. It was very helpful. Yes, I think tortie is a shorter version of Tortoiseshell. I still am not completely sure what coat pattern my kitten is. We named her Nitschke, after a famous football player. What coat pattern do you think she is? I know her breed is a Domestic Shorthair (a regular house cat), but for her coat pattern I think she is a Tortie W/ White.
    Thank you!
    -catloverforever
    PS. I am enclosing a picture of her for reference-it is a little old-she is now 3 months old-but it should still help you. I am also enclosing a picture of a Tortie With White Cat, to see if you agree with me on that being her coat pattern. Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cute Nitschke-FAV.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	35877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black tortie with white!.bmp 
Views:	185 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	35884  
    Last edited by catloverforever; 05-29-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Main Coon

I Know my 6 month old kitten is Main Coon. Her fur is long, soft as Mink , Oily as well, HUGE puffy black tail, wide set ears that look like a Lynx with black tufts of fur on the tips of them. She is quite vocal, the sweetest heartfelt meows, LONG wiskers. Her coloring is marbalized and unique. If she didn't have the Large flowing puffy tail, I would mistake her for a Lynx! Her Father is definately Main coon, her mom is another Large long haired black and white cat that looks like Joey on this forum too!!! I don't know if she is Main though. Turkish Angoras and Turkish Vans look similar as well. They come from the same climate as the Main coon but are alot more inbred. Thats where the long fur comes from. Well, gotta go and take care of my kitties.

Torties are solid colors, black/red, black smoke/red smoke or blue/cream. Patches can be brown/red, silver/cameo and blue/cream, all with or without white. Torties will not have goggles or smoke rings around their eyes, where tabbies will. All shades of red will have barring even if it is a solid at least in Maine Coons, I have seen very few without the barring. Calicos with white should have 2/3's white on their body and very, very difined red and black patches not marbled, with or without white. CFA show rules. But I have seen them with about 1/2 white.

Maine Coons also have a one ear width space between their ear. They sit tall on the head. Muzzles are square and a curved sloop on the nose and straight from tip of nose to end of chin ( looking at the profile). A good deep and strong chin. This is what a judge will look for. Tail should be able to go back to the sholder blades in lenght. Body is long and rectangular. Big boning. Coat medium lenght on the top getting longer as it gets to the tummy. Tuffed paws, ruff, ear tuffs or furnishings. Tails fur must be long and flowing.

My 2 cents of info.

Also I love the breed it is a wonderful cat the pursonality is outstanding. And Mother Nature made the breed not man.
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.