Thread: Tanning Salons

Tanning Salons

Ugh... it always makes me sad to hear ads about these places....

The radio station I listen has a lady in the afternoon that rants and raves about a tanning salon in the area.... she says she goes all the time and everyone should check this place out....

AHHHHHHHH don't people realize how DANGEROUS these things are

She says "don't punish people with your white legs." I would rather have white legs than skin cancer

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

There's been a dramatic increase in melanoma among people under 18. Aren't tanning salons supposed to check IDs? Well, even if they're supposed to, they haven't been.

It's funny, melanoma used to be a poor people's illness, first among sailors and farmers and then railroad and construction laborers. Now they all wear sunscreen, and it's an urban fashion-slave disease.

Love, Columbine

I have tried and tried to convince my daughter (Amy Beth) how dangerous they are, yet she still goes!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

The tanning salons here don't let anyone under 18 go unless a parent signs them up. After a parent signs you up then you can go whenever you make the appointment. I'm signed up but really I'm not doing it until Prom and maybe I'll go like 5-6 times. Honestly I'm afraid of them ever since I saw "Final Destination 3".
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I personally am proud of my pasty whiteness. Skin cancer is too prevalent in my family to actually expose myself to the sun and sunlamps.

HMMMM I didn't know some places required you to be over 18... that's good as long as they are checking ID's

I am already at risk for skin cancer after a terrible burn when I was in grade 4. I am a red head with freckles.... the sun and I are NOT friends.

Plus I see these ladies that are in their 30's... their skin looks like leather and look about 60.... scary.

Yeah my husband has a client that is a dermatology clinic and the stories he has heard.... a 15 year old girl with melanomas... frightening.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I haven't gone tanning like that yet... But isn't a spray tan safer??
    *~*chelsea*~*

**Thanks, ashleycat, i love the siggys!!!**

~chelsea* && Timber, George, Fred, & Hammie.
    (Skipper too! )
    [CENTER][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Georgia][B]

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    I personally am proud of my pasty whiteness. Skin cancer is too prevalent in my family to actually expose myself to the sun and sunlamps.
    "Pasty whiteness" was long considered a mark of beauty, a sure sign that someone was too refined (read: rich) to have to labor out in the sun. Many old-fashioned names use "white" as a metaphor for "unearthly beauty." Guinevere means "white phantom." Many girls are still named Pearl and Lily to this day.

Love, Columbine

I never understood the tanning thing. Lots of parents let their kids go, so sad. I have seen 13 and 14 year olds go. They have no idea of the risks, 30 sounds so old to them. The thought of getting cancer at 30 or 40 seems so far off. Their parents are to blame.

I am a fan of the tan!! Although, I do not go ALL the time. I usually only go if I have a special occasion coming up, like a wedding. Or sometimes I'll go to get a base tan if we are going on vacation somewhere and I don't want to get fried.
    But I agree with how the people who go everyday forever their skin looks like leather. It's creepy. Yeah, so that will not be me in 20 years, thank you. In fact right now my skin is what I like to call "milky". LOL

There is also cases of highschool girls going to ten different salons in one day and DYING!!! So basically people just need to be smart about it and not over do it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)