View Poll Results: Which BC type do you like best?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Show Bred

6 15.00%
  • Working Bred

34 85.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Border Collie Type?

Oh Erika, you know I'm going to split hairs on this one As a conformation nut, my first instinct would be to vote show BCs. BUT, as the owner of an ex-racer and knowing the debate between NGA and AKC greys, I also want to vote working BCs. Speaking in terms of the breed's future, I'd definitely vouch for the continuation of working BCs. But, loving fluffy hair as much as I do, I can't say I'd condemn show BCs.

Can I vote both? =P

Long haired border collies are my choice

Now i couldnt tell you if they are show or working....i've seen both on farms though and well couldnt tell ya about shows....i've never been to a dog show
    My fur/scalekids
    Dog ~ Scooby Doo & Nika
    Cats ~ Scamp & Simvar
    3 Betta ~ D'Argo, Buddy & Valencia
    Tanks ~ 2x13.5L, 1x 18.5L, 2x 28L, 1x 68L, 2x88L, 1x150L & 1x 350L
    Please click my eggs & hatchlings, they need your help to mature

My Dragon Scroll, click to view Adult Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by Alasse
    Long haired border collies are my choice

Now i couldnt tell you if they are show or working....i've seen both on farms
    The difference is the working BC would be looking for a job to do, while the show BC would be laying around wondering when it was getting it's next bath.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

On looks alone, show. I don't think I could have a BC, especially a working one with all of their drive. I do generally like breeds that aren't so split (Dalmatians with correct conformation tend to be able to run easier with more stamina due to the angulation of the joints)

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    On looks alone, show. I don't think I could have a BC, especially a working one with all of their drive. I do generally like breeds that aren't so split (Dalmatians with correct conformation tend to be able to run easier with more stamina due to the angulation of the joints)
    One of the primary reasons for the split in the US especially, is the conflict between ABCA & AKC... One (ABCA) feels that BC's are a true working dog, and their working style & skill distinguishes them, not looks. The other (AKC) feels that if a dog *looks* like they can perform, it's enough to assume that they can do it (even though all of that coat, bone, and lack of the correct BC temperament won't last long in a real working situation). A Border Collie that receives it's AKC Ch is actually dropped from the ABCA, they feel so strongly against it. And Border Collies have only been AKC recognized since the mid-90's.

It would be awesome to have a balance, but I don't see that happening, unless the AKC steps in and actually requires show breeders to prove their dogs on stock.

Giselle... teehee. Weell, I guess Border Collies are suffering in the AKC just as much as lots of other working dogs. Definitely including GSD's, ACD's, Labs, and Greyhounds for sure. But, the difference between show & working BC's is super-dramatic.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

lol unfortinatly the working tests like they have in the UK is pointless, the show dogs are incapable of passing a simple test, ths is well proven in that since the BC was recignized in the UK only 1 single BC have EVER acheived full champion status, only 3? I think KC dogs ever passed and the others did not acheived show champ, they they did not make full status. since then many barbie dogs have tried and not one single barbie was able to pass the working test. the show folks are now putting in a bid saying that their dogs cant pass the test(equivilant of a ISDS NOVICE) because its too hard, and they want to prove their dogs can still work, so they figer the test for show dogs should be made easier. they say that the ISDS has no "sympathy" for their show dogs....if their dogs can truly work as well I fail to see why they require sympathy lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I like the working look. It's what I think the BC should look like. The show look is too poofy.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I prefer all aspects of the working breed by far, except I do prefer friendlier ones. (I'm going with the working type with the hopes I can socialize & trim him enough to be friendlier!)
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.