View Poll Results: Which BC type do you like best?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Show Bred

6 15.00%
  • Working Bred

34 85.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Border Collie Type?

Favorite Border Collie Type?

As most people know who know the breed or who watch dog shows... Border Collies are a somewhat divided breed. On one side of the spectrum is show Border Collies (often referred to as "Barbie Collies"), and on the other side is working Border Collies. The two breeds tend to be shockingly different in appearance and in temperament.

So, honestly, which is you favorite and why? Ethics aside... if that's possible... which as far as appearance and general personality do you prefer?

Show Border Collies - Typically sporting a much longer, finer coat, a wider muzzle, larger eyes, rose ears or low-set ears, a stockier build, and a more easy-going & friendly (by friendly, I mean more tolerant and agreeable with strangers) personality. USUALLY much less herding drive.

Working Border Collies - All varieties of coat... almost always much lighter & more weather-proof. Longer muzzle, smaller eyes, lighter build, all ear-sets and often prick eared, keener expression, smaller height/weight, more suspicious of strangers, more athletic, & more problem-solving skills. MUCH drivier and more desire for a job.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I love working BCs, i love that they have so much drive Makes training easier), i like the varied look of the worker and i love the more independant nature .

Then there are the performance bred BCs, the ones here are nutters and are bred for speed only. Alot of the performance bred BCs here cannot jump to save themselves and are always having accidents clipping jumps... breaking toes, pulling up lame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCthread2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	34873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCthread1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	34874  
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

working of coarse, I dont even remotly like barbie collies.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I like working BCs. I like all working breeds better, they seem more "authentic" than the mindless clones people use for show.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Working Border Collies. They are bred for what they were created to do: herd.

I have yet to see a Barbie Collie with ANY herding instinct.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Niiice! I kind of hoped/expected it to go this way... however, I have MANY friends & acquaintences who, when they first meet Gonzo, ask why he isn't as "pretty" as Border Collies they've seen in shows. I was just wondering if, ethics aside, whether you would prefer to have a show or working BC.

IMHO, you shouldn't get a BC, if you want a dog that's pretty, fluffy, and has no or minimal drive.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I have never met a show BC. All of the border collies I have met are the working bred BC'S and I love them! I don't think I have ever seen a show BC perform, but maybe I do see them in agility trials and just never know it.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

not likley flatcoat lol show BCs tend to be slower, they have this strange ability to appear like they are moving at rocket speed...while barly moving lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I prefer dogs with odd markings, so I wouldn't likely get a clone dog. I also like smooth BCs. I'd end up with a working dog for sure.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I prefer working BCs. Their look just appeals to me more.. my friend recently got a 2 month old BC pup to help out on the farm. She is sooo cute. ^_^.. plus, I don't believe I have ever even met a show BC!

I too prefer the working BCs, probably because they are a very popular herding dog on the Lancastrian and Yorkshire hills.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Working type, by far!

definitaly working

Working Type.
    The show ones don't look like real border collies to me.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Working, definitely. Their overall appearance and temperament appeal to me way more than the show bred BCs.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller