Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay...I think I'm scared...surgery at some point UPDATE POST 18

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure that everything will go well. Both my mother and grandmother had hysterectomies because they had fibroids and heavy bleeding. My mom was only 40 and she was so glad to finally be period free.

I'm 44 and last year I started having very painful cramping and much heavier periods. I had a pelvic ultrasound and they found 2 small fibroids. I also had another procedure where they inject saline solution into your utereus and this gave me very bad cramps. The doctor said that everything looked normal.

In Jan. I had a hydrothermal ablation which is when they burn the lining of the uterus. This is supposed to stop heavy bleeding and cramping. I still won't know if it worked until a few more months go by. If I start having problems again then I too will be having a hysterectomy.

I hope that everything will go well for you. We're all here for you and you'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you to EVERYONE who has posted and anyone yet to post.

It is just so great to have support here, and hear others' stories.

Cyber-sibes, I too had called the Dr's office because the letter said a local anesthetic is used, and you can drive home afterwards. YAH RIGHT!

Of course, my procedure was more involved because of the stent....but the pinchy owie stuff would have happened anyway!

Thank goodness my mom and I had arranged that she would drive me there and home!

Ibuprofen and Tylenol were my friends for a couple of days (small doses)!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

OK. (Sorry, a bit long...)

I thought this would all be decided next week, after my CT scan on Monday.

Saw the gynecologist today. I was kinda wound up about it. I have been healthy all my life, and no symptoms with my Fibroid That Ate New York (not a bad misnomer, as I found out).

Nurse Trudy - a real gem, calm and supportive - said that Dr. M wanted to do a Pap, and also an endometrial biopsy.

I started sobbing, I didn't want to hurt, this was getting so serious so all-at-once - Trudy understood. She said of course it was overwhelming when everything has been fine, and all of a sudden things happen quickly.

Dr M was calm and fine as well - I had never even seen a real GYNECOLOGIST in my whole life! His external exam confirmed the fibroid for him - he said it was the SIZE of a FOOTBALL!!!!

Never mind eating New York; Toronto is dessert!

Anyway.

Hysterectomy. Called a "sub-total". My mind flashed to my retail days...

Ovaries - we'll discuss that later. I want them in. He says because I am 50, that they may shut down in a year, or maybe 5. HECK, my recent FSH test showed NO signs of menopause; I am still waiting. I'd rather have the ovaries decide that than drop into instant menopause!

I asked about laporoscopic hyst. He said that he doesn't do them, but is very willing to refer me to one or two people that do them. That is, if a lap procedure is suitable for something this size.

"What's your method?" I asked.

"I give you a big ugly scar that runs up to your navel," he replied. I had to smile at his straightforward response - it was even so slighly humourous. He would do the vertical incision since the fibroid is on TOP of my uterus. The "smiley" won't work so well.

May 22nd is the day.

Anyone else here had laporoscopic surgery for a football and uterus?

Thanks for listening....this still has an unreal quality to it...I didn't think the decision would be this soon.

(early May, I am inviting everyone over for a NO MORE PERIODS party! Wanna come?)

Oh Catty.......I don't know what to say except that you are in my prayers. I'll call you on Sunday after I get home from shopping...

{{{hugs}}}
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Candace due to cancer I have been there done this. BREATHE. It gets better, and if you ever want to talk in person Pm me I will give you my number.

In the meantime HUGS woman!

Love
    Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Holy cow! My fibroids were only the size of baseballs and tennis balls, LOL! But I did get the whole shabang removed, ovaries, cervix, uterus, everything. I was worried but there are benefits - (no chance of cervical cancer, which killed my grandmother, no ovary problems, no more prolapse) I wasn't in menopause either at the time. I am doing HT, and I love it - no periods, no hot flashes, no night sweats, no emotional swings (well, ok, maybe a few, but they're not hormone related). The HT dose is reduced over time to simulate the natural shutting down of the ovaries, so you don't instantly hit the menopause wall. I have a cute little smiley that you can hardy notice. From the sounds of the size of your problem, I wouldn't thing lapro would be appropriate, but your doc will give you a more knowledgable answer. Hey, May 22nd is a great day - it's the day I had my first child! I will keep you in mind & prayer that day
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 04-06-2007 at 02:08 PM.

I have a good feeling that this is going to turn out fine for you. The incision they had to make for me the first surgery - it's 11 inches long. You can baely see it anymore. I think that's an upside. Plus, the no more periods is certainly a great thing!

I'm with the others - if you need to talk, pm me and I ill give you my #.

Hugs,

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

no emotional swings (well, ok, maybe a few, but they're not hormone related)
    Shoot! There go my excuses!!!

Thanks, all...yeah, I think the incision is the way to go.

BTW - thanks to those who posted the Hyster Sisters site. It is great!

HUGS!

Gee whiz, football-sized - that's no laughing matter. How fortunate it hasn't given you any trouble before now.

You will be in our prayers, that's for sure!

Karen - I will post another thread on this topic, and I hope you will allow it.

I am going to tell every woman I know to make sure they get their regular checkup, even if they feel fine.

I had NO pain or symptoms, my periods were regular - and yet here was a football-sized fibroid seriously affecting the draining of my left kidney!

Get a checkup even if you feel good - you'll catch something early.

(It had been two years since my last Pap, and I went last fall...I 'just forgot'. I don't want to go to 'what might have been'.)

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I had never even seen a real GYNECOLOGIST in my whole life!
    You're kidding?

(early May, I am inviting everyone over for a NO MORE PERIODS party! Wanna come?)
    You might want to check w/your doctor about hormone therapy/fluctuations/what happens when estrogen is cut off without any warning - it's not fun.

Good luck on your surgery and I'm glad they caught it.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

You're kidding?
    Nope. All paps were always normal, no other problems...it was actually the urologist who referred me to the gynecologist this time.

I know many women have a gyn as their regular doc, but I didn't.

I am hoping to keep my ovaries, even though they may shut down for a while after surgery.

Also - I never had UTIs like many of my female peers.

Just lucky, I guess. Maybe being a bit of a health food nut helped! Who knows?

Thanks for the good wishes! Much appreciated!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I hope all goes well and you're back up and running around soon.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am hoping to keep my ovaries, even though they may shut down for a while after surgery.
    My mother had a hysterectomy when she was in her 30's. Her ovaries were left in. When she was 75 she developed ovarian cancer which took her life. Because of this having happened in my family, I have to encourage you to to speak to your doctor about the pros and cons of leaving those ovaries in. You are very close to menopause as it is and you are having the surgery anyway. I'm just thinking the benefits of taking them may outweigh the negatives.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Thanks, Rachel - there is no history in my family of ovarian cancer, though my mom had cervical cancer and had her hyst when she was about 38.

It's now thought that the cerv kind is caused by the papilloma virus, carried unwittingly by men...poor guys!

There are a lot of pros and cons to keeping the ovaries....even blood work shows I am not in MP yet, so that's a factor too. Will discuss with my GP.

My surgeon/gyn is leaving that for further discussion. Just getting hit with "pick your date" was enough to deal with for one afternoon!