Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

What is the difference between incidents and incidences?

I heard a story on news radio last night about a number of armed robberies and the reporter kept using the word "incidences" referring to the individual robberies, when I thought she should have used "incidents".

And I always have to think before I write then/than. Usually in the context of if/then: "If I go to Target, then I can pick up my dry cleaning on the way home." vs "I'd rather go to Target than the dry cleaner first".
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Incident:
    1. an individual occurrence or event.
    2. a distinct piece of action, or an episode, as in a story or play.
    3. something that occurs casually in connection with something else.

in·ci·dence 
    –noun
    1. the rate or range of occurrence or influence of something, especially of something unwanted: the high incidence of heart disease in men over 40.
    2. a falling upon, affecting, or befalling; occurrence: The incidence of murder that Sunday afternoon shocked the sleepy village.
    I've Been Frosted

Dear Medical Students,

You are future doctors! Please note the following.

A course is something where you sit in a lecture hall, with a professor at the front of the room, and you take notes. Coarse is how my lungs sound through your stethoscope when I am very congested.

A border is what you put around the edges of a box sometimes in Microsoft Word. A boarder is a patient in one level of care waiting for a room in another, usually lower.

The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!

Be sure you understand the differences between due and do, threw and through. You should have learned these in high school, if not before. And if I ever see "prolly" in a chart again I'm going straight outside to bang my head on the sidewalk.

Thank you,
    A Nurse

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

"External Email (email coming in from the outside) is temporarily unavailable due to a hardware issue. Estimated time of restoral is 1-2 hours."

restoral ?? Is that even a word? Wouldn't it be restoration ?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    "External Email (email coming in from the outside) is temporarily unavailable due to a hardware issue. Estimated time of restoral is 1-2 hours."

I didn't think it was an actual word, but I looked it up, and it is. Means restoration. So I learned a new word today.

However, I do cringe at the way that some supposedly educated individuals, absolutely murder the English language. I can see an occasional slip up - I'm guilty of it too - but for some - it's always - not just once in a while. How some ever passed basic English in school, is beyond me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cassiesmom

"Restoral" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1828. (references)

Note: Restoral \Re*stor"al\ (-al), noun. Restoration. [Obsolete].

Note they now say that Restoration is obsolete
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Restoral--hmmm---I just learned a new word myself. I think this is the first time I've ever heard this. Interesting, I always like to learn new stuff.

I have to agree that I do sometimes notice how terrible the spelling and grammar is on some posts. Typos I understand but whole words wrongly written I can't understand. We never would have gotten anywhere near high school let alone college had we not known our spelling or grammar.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    "Fixin is southern for About so I guess we are fixin "TO"

I take it since you refer to the locals as THEY that you are what "they" refer to as a damn Yankee
    How about "fittin' to"? I've heard that a lot in my classroom. That phrase earns the students two responses: 1) it's "fixin' to", and 2) fixin' doesn't cut it; your response should be "done started, ma'am".

I do live in the South, and I and a good portion of my students do know proper English. Some just choose not to employ their skills.

I also figure if you are going to butcher the language, the least you could do would be to use recognizable colloquialisms.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by prechrswife View Post
    "Ideal" instead of "idea" drives me crazy. I was at a 2 week long in-service a couple of years ago, and our otherwise excellent instructor would repeatedly say "ideal" when she meant "idea." It was very distracting.

Also, punctuation-wise, it drives me crazy to see " 's" at the end of a word to make it plural. An apostrophe and the letter "s" shows ownership.
    Love this thread.

My high school German teacher would say "grad-jee-ate." It annoyed me back then.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    Ya'll.....
    I love the term "Ya'll"
    I wouldn't have been caught dead saying it before moving here but now I am getting used to it! It's kind of comforting. You can't say "ya'll" without a hint of a smile.

"Ya'll come back now, ya hear??"
    I use y'all all (of) the time. I do have to watch the placement of the apostrophe. I have seen it as "ya'll" quite a bit, but since I can think, I know it's supposed to be "y'all".
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    *cough* excuse me. Y'all had best leave my spelling and grammar alone. This here is my thread and I'm a fixin' to throw a conniption fit!!

Conniption fit. I love that phrase!

I first heard it while listening to a tape recording of a Bill Cosby routine. He was talking about his wife's conniption fits. For those of you youngin's, a tape is a means of electronically recording sounds.

My students do not know what a conniption fit is. Strange.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    Being educated, using it and caring enough to think isn't being a snob!! Be proud!!

That website is a hoot! I am always appalled when I see public signage with misspellings or improper grammar. I'm always very self conscious when writing for public view! I try to make extra sure it's correct.

I saw an interesting comment in a movie about Dorothy Parker. The person said that there are few great writers anymore because writers then treated language like a science. Parceling sentences so they were correctly "formulated". I remember dissecting sentences at school. I doubt it's done today.
    Sadly, for most people, grammar is not a skill that is important. I teach math and having the correct answer and the method of getting the correct answer have little value.

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm working my way through the posts.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post

A very educated friend of mine cannot be convinced that she is saying something wrong. She's meaning to say "It's a dog eat dog world", but instead insists on saying "It's a doggy-dog world". For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the heck she was talking about, and then the light went on. I politely told her in a joking manner what it should be, but to no avail...
    She may not be aware that the phrase has an origin with a different meaning. She may have also learned it that way and doesn't see the need to change. Some of us "highly educated" people can be arrogant.

My mom's mom had several sayings that were the result of miscommunication and misunderstanding. She referred to people that bed-ridden as "inblids". My mother told me it was years before she understood what her mother was saying.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    I had a first hand demonstration of how regional differences occur. I am from Birmingham, Alabama and in that area we refer to the green thing you use to water you lawn as a "hose pipe". I used this term once while in another area or the US and was laughed at because they quickly informed me that it was just a "hose".

Years later I was renting a house in The Netherlands from a couple that originally came from Birmingham, England. We were reviewing an inventory of items to be left with the house. While reviewing the list all of a sudden I came across "hose Pipe" in the inventory. I chucked to my self and ask about the entry. It seems that's the way they say it there. Birmingham Alabama was settled by a lot of iron and steel people from Birmingham England.
    I heard a student use "hose pipe" the other day. I took notice, because I first read the term in a Harry Potter book.
    Anne

If you really want to laugh...or cry:

http://www.someecards.com/2011/04/06...gs-on-facebook