Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Ok, I've got to ask this, concerning the below text:
    "I'm really trying to write as less mistakes as possible"

Should it be: "I'm really trying to write as few mistakes as possible" (this is what I think is right)

or... "I'm really trying to write as little mistakes as possible"

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

"I'm really trying to write as few mistakes as possible"

Or you might say

When writing I try to make as few mistakes as possible.

Thanks Kokopup, that's what I thought.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Lut, if you look up the words "then" and "than" in your dictionary, you will see it's two different words. "Then" is when you say: Bernard planted some flowers in the garden, then he put the tools away and went inside for a cup of coffee.

"Than" is used when you say: The red flowers are prettier than the yellow.
    I'm pretty sure when people mix up "then" and "than" in written language it is a spelling error. These two words are pronounced almost identically in many parts of the country, so someone could mean "than" but write "then" because they sound the same!

I also wanted to add that all of the people who post on PT with English as a second language are quite good at it! I think it's quite impressive. I wish we took bilingual education more seriously in this country.

OK, here's a new question.... is it "a large group of people" or "a big group of people"?

OK, here's a new question.... is it "a large group of people" or "a big group of people"?
    If you are referring to the number of people present....it would be a large group of people.

Thanks! And yes, I am - speaking/talking to them, as in teaching.

I sometimes misuse the words 'to and too'. I have to sometimes think of which spelling is correct. Also the words 'then and than' and 'affect and effect'. These words drive me nuts I have looked them up but still have to stop and think. The English language is one of the toughest ones on the planet.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I work with a guy that says "ya know" in every other word. In one sentence he can use that 2 to 4 times, depending on the length of the sentence..

Another is the word "like".... "We "like" went to the store "like" to get some soda and I "like" spent my last $1."

Another is what I call the generic of the "F" word.. I hear that one so much that it drives me NUTS! (It also starts with "F".)

It is the repeting of the same word over and over in every sentence that drives me nuts no matter what the word is..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I use to say 'hey' ALL the time (I am going back a few years....like 20). My BF at the time use to say- every single time I said 'hey', this annoying saying. It annoyed me to no end, AND got me out of the habit.

The way I remember the difference between 'to and 'too' is if it means more than...it has more 'o' in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Yes - I'm appalled!

I have a couple of things, that from the way I pronounce them, people know that I'm not a native of this area. Like instead of "lobster", I say "lobsta". I don't say it often tho, since that's something not in my budget!! My brother that passed away, never lost his RI accent even after living in FL for 30+ years. Talking to him on the phone, you would think you were talking to Ted Kennedy.

I do take shortcuts in informal writing (such as on PT), like thru or tho, but would never spell them that way in a business document. I still don't say y'all, tho I do say "gonna" instead of "going to".
    I also use the shortcuts thru and tho on some forums but would never use them on a professional document either.

"I've been frosted."

A large group of people would be correct, a big group of people would mean the people are of great size.

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    ... a big group of people would mean the people are of great size.
    Wouldn't that be a group of big people?

Wouldn't that be a group of big people?
    Yes you are correct.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    What really drives me up a wall is people who pronnounce words completely wrong.

I put the kickstandard down on my bicycle.

I warshed my clothes.

My cat was spayded, had her rabbies and distemperment shot.

That is a nice wotriller. (rottweiler)

Do you realize how difficult it is to even spell these words the way people pronnounce them? lol
    I work at a veterinary clinic and I can't tell you how many times a day I hear those! It's Distemper, not distemperment! Urrgh! K, was my first sentence correct? Lol.

The one that bugs me the most is when people get "too" and "to" mixed up, as well as "your" and "you're".

I am by no means perfect when it comes to spelling, grammar, or punctuation! This would be a good thread to learn from.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.