Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Irregardless IS in the dictionary??? Wow! Live and learn I suppose.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Catherinedana, I made a typo, I actually meant "height" and "hieght". South Africans seem to pronounce evrything with more emphasis on the i's, don't they.

Phesina, thank you for kind words. I'm trying my best. Of course, it helps to keep in touch with certain PTalkers.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I will never get used to the improper use of "waiting on". Newscasters, teachers, politicians, EVERYONE seems to use it wrong.

If you are waiting on someone, they must be very uncomfortable under you. And I wait IN line.

Run-on sentences drive me nuts! Commas and periods are like yeild and stop signs. They can make a totally illegible paragraph make sense.

Being a card carrying southerner I am guilty of using fixin and Y'all in my everyday speech. I have traveled all over the world and have found that there are MINOR differences all over the US. One that bugs me used by my daughter-in-law, a New Yorker, is "these ones". I don't think this is unique to her since I have heard this used in other parts of the US. For those critical of us southerner using y'all how about the use of "youse" or "youse Guys". I'll take y'all any day. Although there are some regional differences here in the US the use of slang is minimal here compared to the British Isles. You have to go to mainland Europe to hear proper English spoken y'all.

I find "y'all" quite charming. I heard it the first time by a couple from Texas (of course! ). And I've heard it recently here, by a girl I know from Indiana.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Irregardless IS in the dictionary??? Wow! Live and learn I suppose.

Yes, ma'am. I'm referring to the online merriam webster edition, but as far as I know, it's legit. When you consider ginormous and staycation are both in there, too...it doesn't shock you as much.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en
    I've always pronounced it "Kit-en" and it would drive my ex-coworker crazy, she insisted it was "Kit- ten".

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb View Post
    Affect and effect. What is the proper way to use this? "How will this affect me?"
    That's one I can't get right. My husband has tried to help me with it many times, but I just can't get it right. I really try to avoid using those words.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

"Your" (means you own it) and "You're" (you are).

If there is an apostrophe in a word, chances are there's a letter missing - it's a contraction. Apostrophes are a hint...

I remember my grandmother saying "warsh" for "wash" all her life. She was born in Washington State and lived there til she was a teen. I have some friends born and raised there that say the same thing. Dialect, I guess.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post

I remember my grandmother saying "warsh" for "wash" all her life. She was born in Washington State and lived there til she was a teen. I have some friends born and raised there that say the same thing. Dialect, I guess.

My mom's from Illinois and she says the same thing.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I think you can say warsh is a country term used in rural areas all over the US
    and Canada. I hear it used here in rural Alabama, however, being raised in the
    Birmingham Burbs, I never heard it used. We are talking about going just
    30 miles to hear a major change in accent and word usage.

"wierd" is wrong; it's "weird". I know it sounds like the EE sound that the i makes should come first...but English is a crazy language with many parents. One can't assume anything about it!

My mom and sister, who were very intelligent - Darcia skipped grades in school, my mom had two undergraduate degrees and a Master's...spelled it "wierd" for years. It was quite a good feeling to point this anomaly out to them...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

One good way I learned to remember the proper order of the i and the e in "weird":

Think of the words "weirdo" and "hairdo." Both of them contain these four letters in sequence: i-r-d-o.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    Affect and effect. What is the proper way to use this? "How will this affect me?"

That's one I can't get right. My husband has tried to help me with it many times, but I just can't get it right. I really try to avoid using those words.
    Grammar Girl Tip

There is an explanation there with a good visual way to remember the difference. She also has a good explanation of when to use "lay" and "lie".

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I learned the "old school" way - i before e, except after c. However, English being what it is, "weird" happens to be one of the exceptions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What a funny thread!
    Gee now that I think about it.... the english language is pretty darn complicated!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)