Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Im haffway threw the paje an laffing.

OR

I'm half-way through the page and laughing. LOL
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Dear Medical Students,

You are future doctors! Please note the following.

A course is something where you sit in a lecture hall, with a professor at the front of the room, and you take notes. Coarse is how my lungs sound through your stethoscope when I am very congested.

A border is what you put around the edges of a box sometimes in Microsoft Word. A boarder is a patient in one level of care waiting for a room in another, usually lower.

The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!

Be sure you understand the differences between due and do, threw and through. You should have learned these in high school, if not before. And if I ever see "prolly" in a chart again I'm going straight outside to bang my head on the sidewalk.

Thank you,
    A Nurse

Oh, and one more: a bowl (not a bowel) is what you eat cereal from! Please!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'm flaggerbasted that someone did tell I that I spell wrong

"I'm Back !!"

Dear Medical Students,

You are future doctors! Please note the following.

A course is something where you sit in a lecture hall, with a professor at the front of the room, and you take notes. Coarse is how my lungs sound through your stethoscope when I am very congested.

A border is what you put around the edges of a box sometimes in Microsoft Word. A boarder is a patient in one level of care waiting for a room in another, usually lower.

The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!

Be sure you understand the differences between due and do, threw and through. You should have learned these in high school, if not before. And if I ever see "prolly" in a chart again I'm going straight outside to bang my head on the sidewalk.

Thank you,
    A Nurse

Oh, and one more: a bowl (not a bowel) is what you eat cereal from! Please!
    I found another one! The patient's skin is taut (not taught) from edema.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I have a new favorite: "Specimen walked to lab." I know what that means... I didn't send it via pneumatic tube, I didn't wait for the lab runner to take it with the next pick-up, but I physically delivered it to the lab in order to get the results back quickly. But it always makes me think of test tubes with legs sticking out of them, walking their way to the lab!!

How about this one. A friend says this a lot. "Sore to speak" instead of so to speak. He also spells a lot as alot. We all have done that at some point

Title of newspaper article: "Pawn shop operates discretely in Hinsdale"

Dear Editor: Shouldn't that be 'discreetly'? Yes, it is a separate and distinct business, but the whole point of the article is that it is intentionally unobtrusive because of its location in tony Hinsdale.

I'm bumping up this old thread with a new one: "Epic Fail"
    Fail is a verb. Failure is the corresponding noun. Should it not be Epic Failure, then?

That would take another 7 keystrokes, and in a world of twitface, that just ain't happenin.

BTW, the above grammatical errors were not made on accident.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I misuse the words "too" and "to" at times. There are times when I know I'm using those words correctly and other times, I'm just not sure.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

"The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!" Hmm, I'm not sure I've quite got this... isn't "lying" also if someone is not telling the truth? And "laying" someone laying something on a table?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I always had trouble with lie and lay. In fact when I was a freshman in college, a friend from Brazil who was a Library Science major at Simmon's college across the street asked me to explain it to her one day, and I said, "I can't! Call my mother, she'll tell you!"

Now I can always look it up - http://grammartips.homestead.com/lie.html is one example. Now can you imagine trying to explain "intransitive verb" to someone just learning English?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    "The patient is lying in bed... please don't write laying!" Hmm, I'm not sure I've quite got this... isn't "lying" also if someone is not telling the truth? And "laying" someone laying something on a table?
    When I made that post, part of my job was transcribing medical chart notes for insurance payors and I had to try to catch those kinds of things (for example, the pregnant patient whose "do date" is July 12).

Cassiesmom, "for insurance payors" - should that be "payers", or have I got that wrong, too?

Karen, thanks for the link, that was a great explanation.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I think payor/payer can go either way. I've almost always seen it as payor in the context of the ones I've worked for.