Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Hybrid View

"Whenever" and "Seen"

*PET PEEVE ALERT*

I do not have perfect grammar or spelling. I mess up just as much as the next guy. I'm not picking on anyone in particular!! That being said, I can't stand misuse of the words "whenever" and "seen"!!!

"I seen this" is NEVER correct. It should be "I saw this"

"Whenever I went to Grandma's house last Tuesday" is NEVER correct.
    "When I went to Grandma's house last Tuesday..." is correct.
    Or you could say "Whenever I would go to Grandma's house, she would bake cookies" or something like that!

What misused words or phrases drive you crazy??
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    "Seen" drives me bananas. That's what my mom calls "Montcalmish."

How about made up words that people think they're using correctly?
    Irregardless
    Flustrated
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahved
    Irregardless
    Flustrated

Oops!! I have to admit that I use "flustrated" all the time It makes Tyler giggle
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Ahhh... "I seen ____" ALWAYS gets on my nerves!! lol!!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

"Seen" used improperly drives me nuts and also incorrect grammer that drives me nuts is "don't" used in the context, "that don't matter". The correct word(s) is, "that does not matter" or "that doesn't matter".

I see a lot of incorrect grammer here in Texas, more then I've ever seen before when I lived in Michigan. Not sure why, but every time I hear it, it bugs me hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs
    I see a lot of incorrect grammer here in Texas, more then I've ever seen before when I lived in Michigan. Not sure why, but every time I hear it, it bugs me hehe.

Like I said, my mother calls it "Montcalmish." You must have not lived in Montcalm county, Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs

I feel like a snob for noticing that but it is so true!! At church yesterday I was having a hard time focusing on what the heck our teacher was trying to say because I couldn't figure out what on earth he was saying

My issue, which I'm sure annoys some people, is knowing where to put commas. I used to be excellent at using punctuation properly but since leaving school I have grown to be worse and worse at it!

Couldn't you say I've SEEN that movie?

I use seen a lot, but never "I seen that movie." I would use the "I've."

One that bugs me to no end is gots. My husband uses it all the time. "My brother gots this new CD you would like." Oh, he HAS a CD that I would like? I'm forever correcting him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    Couldn't you say I've SEEN that movie?

I use seen a lot, but never "I seen that movie." I would use the "I've."

One that bugs me to no end is gots. My husband uses it all the time. "My brother gots this new CD you would like." Oh, he HAS a CD that I would like? I'm forever correcting him.
    Yes! "I've seen that movie" is just fine So is "I have seen that movie"! It's only incorrect when you leave out that modifier thingy or whatever it's called!

Lol! "Gots" That would make me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    Oops!! I have to admit that I use "flustrated" all the time It makes Tyler giggle
    Don't let Jason hear you say flustrated. My friend Elisha uses that one all the time. It drives Jason up a wall!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrahved

Irregardless

Unfortunately, "irregardless" is now in the dictionary and considered acceptable. Blech.

I have many pet peeves when it comes to grammar.

"SupposeBly" instead of "SupposeDly" is one that makes my blood boil. It sounds incredibly childish.

When people say "alTso" instead of "also." Nails on a chalkboard.

It's already been stated, but when people say "I seen a dog..." or "I seen a movie...", that bothers me.

You know, it's funny. It bothers me when I see that certain words have been added to the dictionary (perfect example is "irregardless", I used to cringe when my dad said it). But, honestly, if the dictionary weren't constantly updated, we would all still be speaking like Ben Franklin. I'm learning to just roll with the punches, so to speak. Although there are just some things that are flat out improper speech and will doubtfully ever be accepted.

The only thing that really bothers me is not that people don't know any better or don't realize something is incorrect. I'm sure there are a ton of words I use incorrectly and that I don't use perfect sentence structure. My biggest issue is with people who are unwilling to adjust their speech or their writing/typing even once they know it's incorrect. Life's all about learning and growing and it bugs me when people are okay with stagnation. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.

I love threads like this!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

What really drives me up a wall is people who pronnounce words completely wrong.

I put the kickstandard down on my bicycle.

I warshed my clothes.

My cat was spayded, had her rabbies and distemperment shot.

That is a nice wotriller. (rottweiler)

Do you realize how difficult it is to even spell these words the way people pronnounce them? lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711

I warshed my clothes.
    hahahaha, my mom says that. i've learned to not be too irritated by pronunciation that has more to do with regional accents (although it still irks me sometimes) as opposed to mispronunciations altogether, like this other one you stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I put the kickstandard down on my bicycle.
    That is just plain wrong. No accent there, it's just wrong.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en
    Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
    Orange vs Ornge
    Crayon vs Cran

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en
    Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
    Orange vs Ornge
    Crayon vs Cran

Chris and Carole would say kit-ten and mit-ten.

I say cran, and I will NEVER back down from that! I never even met anyone that said cray-on until college.

One Jason and I go around and around over is tin-ten or pin-pen. For some reason he doesn't think they should be pronounced differently