Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711

I warshed my clothes.
    hahahaha, my mom says that. i've learned to not be too irritated by pronunciation that has more to do with regional accents (although it still irks me sometimes) as opposed to mispronunciations altogether, like this other one you stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I put the kickstandard down on my bicycle.
    That is just plain wrong. No accent there, it's just wrong.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en
    Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
    Orange vs Ornge
    Crayon vs Cran
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    "did ya'll see where that space shuttle blowed up?"

Oh, yeah. I would have had to say something.

I'll catch David saying "boughten." He's becoming much more aware of some of his bad grammar habits (EVERYONE has a few!), and he'll correct himself now.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Ya'll.....
    I love the term "Ya'll"
    I wouldn't have been caught dead saying it before moving here but now I am getting used to it! It's kind of comforting. You can't say "ya'll" without a hint of a smile.

"Ya'll come back now, ya hear??"
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    Ya'll.....
    I love the term "Ya'll"
    I love it, too. Don't hate me, but one of my tiny pet peeves is the apostrophe in that word. The word is a contraction of you and all. So, it looks like this: "y'all". I almost didn't type this, but I think you'll smile about it instead of getting mad that I pointed it out at all. At least, I hope so! It's not meant to be negative.

I love saying it, too, although I will avoid saying "fixin' to" like my life depended on it.

I still remember the first time that I said ya'll in an everyday conversation. I had just moved here to Texas and was at Lowe's looking for a dolly to move our washer and dryer... I walked up to the salesman and said "Do ya'll sell dollies?"
    When I realized what I had said I was floored!! I'm about as Yankee as they come

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    I love it, too. Don't hate me, but one of my tiny pet peeves is the apostrophe in that word. The word is a contraction of you and all. So, it looks like this: "y'all". I almost didn't type this, but I think you'll smile about it instead of getting mad that I pointed it out at all. At least, I hope so! It's not meant to be negative.

I love saying it, too, although I will avoid saying "fixin' to" like my life depended on it.

*cough* excuse me. Y'all had best leave my spelling and grammar alone. This here is my thread and I'm a fixin' to throw a conniption fit!!

*cough* excuse me. Y'all had best leave my spelling and grammar alone. This here is my thread and I'm a fixin' to throw a conniption fit!!

hee hee, welcome to texas, purty lady.

hehe

How about Prolly, y'all? It's 'probably'!!

And don't wait on me to get there. Wait FOR me. This one has become national and international and still is WRONG!

To, too, two are some others that shouldn't be interchanged. To indicates direction, too means also, two is the number.

Some things I can forgive if it's a simple thing such as seperate for separate (or is it the other way around?). And I do understand honest typos. But I do think everyone should TRY.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to look up diarrhea

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    My husband and I go back and forth about whether the word kitten should be pronounced "Kit-ten" with both t's pronounced sharply, or "Kit-en" with just one pronounced... It's the same with mit-ten versus mit-en
    Let's see what other pronunciations get to me...
    Orange vs Ornge
    Crayon vs Cran

Chris and Carole would say kit-ten and mit-ten.

I say cran, and I will NEVER back down from that! I never even met anyone that said cray-on until college.

One Jason and I go around and around over is tin-ten or pin-pen. For some reason he doesn't think they should be pronounced differently
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Oh another one I just thought of...saying "litature" instead of litERature! This is something that's bugged me for a very long time! I actually had an English Literature professor in college pronounce it litature! I couldn't believe it! I'm really not a snob but I found this ironic that a lit prof didn't even know how to pronounce literature

And as for Y'all, I'll never say this unless it's in mocking hehe. I'll always be a Yankee

Oh, and it doesn't really bother me too much, but the southerners here in TX end words like tornado, window, willow, in an 'a'...example: tornada, winda, willa. I've had a few people tell me that Quinn Willa is a pretty name, I correct them and say that it's WilloW not WillA Hehe. Now my husband jokingly calls our daughter Quinn Willa

Spelling IS important - some of us are trying to learn here!! One of these PT Spelling threads even made it into/in to? "Thread of the year"!

I do make some blunders myself, no doubt, but I don't understand how anyone can mix up "then" and "than".

Some of the first things I learned in English class was this:
    I am
    you are
    he/she(it is
    they/you/we are

However, I still get it wrong sometimes... just had a look at your link, and I noticed that I've been spelling "definitely" wrong all along. I may remember in the future.

Sirrasim, your first example of using "whenever" wrong/wrongly? is pure ignorance.

It's actually amazing what you're able to read, however bad it is spelt. Someone posted a really funny post about it last year - I can't remember the title.
    Last edited by Randi; 05-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

14. "at"....as in "where's it at?" "Where is it?" The "at" is useless, unnecessary and hurts my ears.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Ah, my favorite kind of thread One that I hear a lot of lately is "on accident" as in, "I did it on accident" instead of by accident. Where did that come from? I even caught my boss saying it the other day - on purpose!!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10