Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Ok, I'm sure this has already been covered, but I just saw it again on Facebook and it irritates me!
    People using are for our. "You've been in are lives for a long time."
    UGH!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Nov 13 2014
    Using "there and their" and "it's and its" incorrectly bugs me.
    There should be no problem.
    Their dogs are very cute.

It's going to be cold tomorrow.
    The dog ate its food.

I used to work with a woman who had a much better paying job than me but her grammar/spelling was terrible. I always proofread her work. I sure hope I do the examples correctly LOL.

She would say:

Get me a vanilla folder (manila)
    Ring the buzzard on the door (buzzer)
    Hang the pitcher on the wall. (picture)
    My child had chicken[B] pops. (pox)
    My clothes are in a chester drawer. (chest of drawers)
    I made a lemon chest pie (chess)

3. I have trouble when to use 'then' and 'than'

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    I have trouble when to use 'then' and 'than'
    If you can substitute "now" and the sentence makes sense, use "then" - (now and then is easy to remember.

Examples,

"I'd rather have pizza now pasta" so it is "I'd rather have pizza thAN pasta"

"I went to supper now went to bed" makes much more sense (other than timeframe) so it is "I went to supper thEn went to bed."

Does that help?
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I have a girlfriend who says pig style when referring to a messy place instead of pigsty. I also have a friend who sez, but ,for no aparrent reason after every sentence. Used to drive me nuts. I realized that no one enjoys being corrected. As long as you get their drift, I just carry on the conversation and get on with it. I figure that there are far more important things to crap my pants about or get all bent out shape about than this eh.... Get my drift....

Blog Entries
    That being said, ax instead of ask is unnerving. I think it's just a slang thing. Sometimes I think peeps should just sit back and feel smugly superior if they feel so irritated. Communication with a sense of humor sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    I have trouble when to use 'then' and 'than'
    I will admit I have trouble with this one too! Along with who and whom.

RIP Sally

First of all, I don't undestand how some can get confused about the words then and than. They are two completely different words! It seems to me that people use then where than should be used, a lot more than the opposite. It's rare to see people use than where then should be used.

In Denmark, we have the words ja and men - ja means yes, men means but. In recent years, a LOT of people start a sentence saying... ja, men... = yes, but... I just don't get it. 10 -20 years ago, you never heard anyone starting a sentence with yes, but, unless they were defending themselves in an argument. Oh well, language deteriorates everywhere in the world. I wonder what people will be saying in another hundred years.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

My biggest hate is how language is totally destroyed by computer speak: the shortcuts used with email and text messages. If someone sends me a message like that I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out what they're tring to say.

Just for fun. This was going around when I was in college and we had a blast with it. Can you punctuate the words below so the phrase makes sense? It can be done.

that that is is that that is not is not is that that is that is
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

[QUOTE=momcat;2510408]

Just for fun. This was going around when I was in college and we had a blast with it. Can you punctuate the words below so the phrase makes sense? It can be done.

That "that is" is that, "that is not," is not. Is that "that is" that is?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm afraid I will barf or scream - or both - if I read/see/hear the word y'all much more, and when not used in a joking manner, but as part of practically every sentence that some type or speak. It is so REDNECK, and certain people carry the use to extreme. I was on FB yesterday, and had to close it out since the use of this word seems to be coming contagious and I was finding it super annoying and getting on my last nerve. People that never/seldom used it before, just can't seem to express themselves anymore with using this word very frequently. And in some cases, it's just a matter of the person being lazy, and even thinking that this is a proper and acceptable manner of speaking. I'm sure some English teachers must be turning over in their grave.

Is it just me being persnickety, or does this grate on other folks nerves too?

And don't tell me it is a recognized word.................so is f--k, among other slang words.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

12. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    If you can substitute "now" and the sentence makes sense, use "then" - (now and then is easy to remember.

Examples,

"I'd rather have pizza now pasta" so it is "I'd rather have pizza thAN pasta"

"I went to supper now went to bed" makes much more sense (other than timeframe) so it is "I went to supper thEn went to bed."

Does that help?
    Woot! finally found post to read back on,, an yes it does. thank you ^^
    now my problem will come with remembering it... LOL

Over the last few decades, it seems that schools haven't been focusing much on spelling. That might be one reason that children mix up "then" and "than" and just guessing what is should be, from the sound they hear. You see more spelling mistakes everywhere - over here, too. If smaller children keep reading texts with so many mistakes, they'll probably think it's right and copy it. I don't believe that bad spelling is solely because of texting so much, although it might be part of it.

Using "y'll" instead of everyone or everybody, I find quite charming/positive, because to me it gives a feeling of "togetherness," or good vibes from the person saying it, but I could be totally wrong, I'm not American.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Ummm not everybody comes from a good education or even had a chance at a decent one for that matter.

This is a public forum for pet lovers not for teaching "correct" English.

To use this site to belittle someone because they used incorrect English is kinda sad. (look up kinda, it's called slang)

Not everyone has the greatest use of English, we are supposed to be pet lovers...

I could care less if someone uses bad English as long as I can get the gist of what they are trying to convey...

It's about the story and the emotion our pets bring to us, not the spelling....

Just sayin'.....

Here's to our pets!!!!!!!!
    MY SPECIAL GIRLS

ZIP and SHY R.I.P. my beautiful girls

Blog Entries
    Amen to that, all ya f*@ckin' ya'll!!!