Thread: Recalled Dog/Cat Food site

Recalled Dog/Cat Food site

A friend forwarded this to me. It has a link for recalled catfood, dogfood, as well has human food. It's all by the brand of the food. I was amazed at the number of products with recalls on them.
    http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html

Menu Foods recall questions and answers

This was in today's Chicago Tribune... hope it helps...

Questions and answers about the pet food recall
    March 20, 2007

Q: What brands and types of pet food are being recalled?

A: The recall involves Ontario-based Menu Foods' "cuts and gravy" style cat and dog food packaged from Dec. 3 to March 6. The wet food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, is packaged in cans and small foil pouches. The food was sold under numerous brand names: 40 cat food brands and 51 dog food brands as of Monday.

Q: What happened to the food that led to this recall?

A: The recall started after reports that at least 10 pets - one dog and nine cats - suffered kidney failure and died after eating the food, according the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA on Monday said that as many as one in six animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets around the country.

Q: Where was this food sold?

A: The pet food was sold throughout North America under both store and major brand labels at Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers.

Q: What should I do if I have some of this pet food in my cupboard?

A: The FDA says stop feeding it to your pet. Many of the major store chains are also granting refunds for returned food.

Q. How do I know if my pet is sick as a result of eating contaminated food? What are the symptoms?

A: Signs of kidney failure include loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting.

Q. What should I do if I already gave some of this food to my pet? Do I need to take my pet to a doctor?

A: It's best to seek advice from a veterinarian in such situations, according to the FDA.

Q. Who can I call with questions?

A: Menu Foods has a consumer hot line at 1-866-463-6738 and 1-866-895-2708. The Menu Foods Web site is at http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html.

The FDA is asking those with sick or dead pets to call FDA state complaint coordinators. A list of contacts for such coordinators is available at http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html .

Q: What precautions are being taken to make sure it doesn't happen again?

A: The company says it changed suppliers as of March 6, and has increased testing of raw materials and finished goods.
    Copyright © 2007, The Associated Press
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Woman blames cat's death on tainted food, sues maker

Chicagoan blames cat's death on tainted food, sues maker
    By Mary Ann Fergus
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published March 21, 2007

A Chicago woman who said her cat died of kidney failure last week after eating a product made by Menu Foods filed a lawsuit Tuesday in federal court.

Dawn Majerczyk's 9-year-old cat, Phoenix, went into kidney failure Friday, four days after it ate a 3-ounce serving of Special Kitty Select Cuts. The cat had to be euthanized Saturday, according to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago.

Majerczyk, a medical assistant, took the cat to Abbot Animal Hospital in Chicago last week because he appeared to be lethargic and dehydrated.

"By Friday, he couldn't walk," Majerczyk said. "He couldn't even meow or lift his head up."

At least 14 animals--one dog and 13 cats--have died after eating Menu Foods products, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Last week, the Streetsville, Ontario, company recalled its "cuts and gravy"-style cat and dog foods, made in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., between Dec. 3 and March 6. Consumer complaints and the company's routine tasting trials led to the recall of the products, sold in cans and pouches.

A federal probe is focusing on wheat gluten as the likely source of contamination. It was used to thicken the gravy in the pet food, said Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's top veterinarian.

During quarterly taste tests, the company fed its products to 25 cats and 15 dogs, and of those, nine cats died, Sundlof said. The company said four cats and one dog belonging to customers died also, he said.

Sundlof said he fears the number of animals affected is widespread.

The list of recalled products includes 40 brands of cat food and 51 brands of dog food sold by companies such as Iams, PetCare and Science Diet.

Majerczyk said she hopes to at least recover the $300 she paid the veterinarian.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

You need to check the recall list AGAIN!!

According to the Saturday morning Providence Journal, they have now recalled all 95 brands made by that company.

They have expanded the recall list, so you need to check the list again for the foods in your cupboards and closets.

Go here:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

The top listings have NOT been updated. The lower listings, specific for cat and for dog, HAVE BEEN UPDATED AS OF MARCH 23, 2007. Use those links.

Also: Radio Talk Show Host Mike Savage is claiming we need to beware of our pastas. many fot he pasta makers import their wheat gluten from China. Until they figure out HOW the rat poison got into the wheat gluten, other gluen products may be at risk.

I received this link from my vet this morning. Please check it out. It has more information on the recall. Now they say all of that food should be recalled not just for the original dates given. This is as of March 23rd. It also gives links to other sites with information.

http://www.avma.org/press/releases/0...ded_recall.asp
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~