Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alex the wonder dog and a cluster

alex the wonder dog and a cluster

alex is caught in a cluster of seizures. we took him to the vet er last night at 12 when he'd had 2 fairly close together. he was admitted at 3 am, i picked him up, no seizures there, paid the bill( ) and took him to the regular vet at 7:30 am. he stayed there all day, getting cookies and pats. he had a seizure there at 3:45pm, 15 minutes after i talked to his vet. i brought him home at 5, he had dinner, a short 2 houses walk, then on to the couch for tv before bed, yep you guessed it, another grand mal seizure. since last friday pm, he's had at least 9. he's also got a boatload of phenobarb and valium in him. he's now sleeping, very soundly. i 'll call the regular vet in the am to update her. please spare a prayer for my sweet dog. and i need some sleep
    edited....poor grammer
    Last edited by joycenalex; 03-13-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I'm sorry. I hope you both get some sleep tonight and that Alex is much better when you awaken. It's hard to have our furry ones sick. Give Alex some lovin' from me.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Awwwwww!!!! Poor Alex. I hope he feels better soon and both of you can get some much needed rest. Kisses to that sweetie from us in Florida

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how scary it is to see him go through the seizures. I am right there with you with getting no sleep since I'm on edge about my poor Pouncer. Many prayers coming your way ((hugs)))

<scoops up Prayer Line> <dials God>

Hi God ~

Need sum Help down here onna ole Durt Ball, again.

Alex, the Wonder Dog, is havin thoze darn seizures again ... lotta them!

He got sum knock-out drops - but it'd be jest Great iffin You kuld help wiff
    gettin him to really SLEEP tanite. (WiffOUT any bad dreamz!)

An maybe give Miz Joyce a big {{{God'sHug}}} an send her to sleepie-land, too.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

he slaept

thanks all. the prayers worked, alex slept from 9pm, when he got the valium till 5:30am. snoring only, no seizures. and i got to sleep too. when he's stuck in a cluster, i keep starting awake at the slighest sound.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Prayers going out for Alex the wonder dog. I hope the worst of it is over and he will have calmer days and nights ahead.

Joyce I'm very sorry to hear he's been having all these seizures, but glad to hear that he's sleeping well now. Hope you can get yourself some good sleep too.
    (((HUGS)))

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Joyce, I will pray that you and Alex can get a break from these seizures. Bless your heart, I'd be woried silly, myself.

Oh Joyce.... I'm so sorry you both have to go through this.

I'm glad he slept throught the night!
    {{{HUGS}}} to you and Alex!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Wow, I have never had Snoopy stuck in a cluster of seizures. Once we start the valium, they ususally stop. Although once or twice we had to up the amount of valium. How long are Alex's seizures? Snoopy has pretty short ones - I have never timed them but I would say less than 2 minutes.

I hope the cluster has broken and he will be fine now. Diana

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I'm so sorry to hear this!

Does he have a fever? I know fevers cause seizures and seizures cause fever. It's such a vicious cycle. Maybe that can help. Also, I don't know if this applies to dogs as well but what's he's phenobarb level? Is it too high, too low? Both of those things can cause seizures in humans. Maybe he's just immune to the phenobarb all together? How long has he been on it? Maybe it's time for a change or to add something as a suppliment?

Either way, I hope he's done with this horrible cluster. I hate it when my hubby gets them.

Hugs to you and Alex.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Alex, Wonder Dog, I hope your brain responds to the anti-convulsant meds and your seizures stop. That way your huMom can get some rest. Take good care, Joyce and Alex. [[[[gives a hug]]]]
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I am sorry to hear about Alex. This seems to be an excessive amount
    to be having & so close together. Does your Vet think a change of meds
    would help him?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

24 hrs, no seizure

this cluster group was 12 over 4 days. alex has had seizures (SZ) for 10 years this month (woo-hoo, such an anniversary ). fevers can cause sz, but i strongly suspect thet he's been having sz so long , for unknown reasons, that the scarring in his neural pathways is so well set, that the szs' just are going to keep occuring. he went toxic on a second line sz med, potassium bromide in july. the next line meds, neurotonin, felbamate, topomax and the others aren't long enough lasting to get good sz control, in dogs metabolism, or they are very expensive, out of pocket. i am newly on neurontin, and i did consider giving alex my meds, but having my insurance company pay for them, seems like a form of insurance fraud, and not a good idea. if and when alex cannot tolerate phenobarb, any longer, i'll make necessary decisions with his vet them.
    alexs' sz time is short, 2-4 minutes of seizure, 10-15 minutes immediate unconsciousness, then as short at 15 minutes, long as an hour post ictal pacing. he, and peanut get a scrambled egg and cottage cheese (alwys in my fridge) to bump up his blood glucose. i know some use all natural ice cream, but ice cream never lasts here. thanks for all the prayers, it does help