Thread: Priscilla is on Epogen now

Priscilla is on Epogen now

Hi folks, just wanted to update you on how things have been going with my sweet baby Priscilla..

For a while her lab results were improving steadily and she was making slight weight gains.. but then a couple of weeks ago she started becoming less active and less interested in food. She has mostly been lying around on a shelf (after she cleared off most of the kitty figurines I'd had on it).

All along I've continued to give her sub-Q fluids twice a day and syringe-feed her three times a day if she doesn't eat enough on her own. I keep a bowl of KD kibble by her on her shelf now for her to munch on at her leisure, and she works through it slowly.

She went in for tests last week, and the BUN and creatinine were going up and the hematocrit down again.. so the vet said it was time to start the Epogen.

She's gotten three injections so far (one every three days), and yesterday she went back for a blood test. The hematocrit had jumped quite a bit, so at least that's working, for now anyway.

So my little girl is still hanging in there but she's not quite as active as she was before.

Please keep her in your prayers and kind thoughts and good wishes!

Thank you,
    Pat and Priscilla, and Elmer, Sydney, Poppy, and Peony too
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Awee our poor wittle one Priscilla.. Hey Taccoa & family send lots of Whisker Prayers & Huggss.. Come on wittle girl let give this a fight for life & get better for us soon.. Keep us posted..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

We Are Pleased That Priscilla Is Doing Better And That Her Medicines Are Helping Her Feel Better.
    Thats So Good That Shes Back Home And Comfortable With Her Guardians And Cat Companions.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

That is GREAT that Priscilla's ' crit has improved that much in just a few days!! GO GIRL!!
    Nine is Fine!!

We will keep praying for you to get better little Priscilla Your mommy loves you sooo much!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

She'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

My prayers are still going out for Priscilla. I have a kitty altar and candles burning like crazy for all of our sick furkids. Excuse my ignorance but what is Epogen? I guess I could look it up but if you can give me a brief explanation, I'd be grateful.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Please know that your sweet Priscilla remains in my thoughts and prayers. Come on Priscilla, keep getting better... you can do it!

Please keep us updated?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Dear Friends, many thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers for Priscilla. She came down from her shelf when I sat down at the computer and jumped up on my lap, where she is resting and purring as I write.

She's doing about the same.. not much interested in food on her own, though she munches on the kibble on and off. I syringe-feed her 3 times a day and give her fluids twice a day. I just gave her her 4th Epogen injection today. she gets it every three days.

Epogen is a medication that stimulates red blood cell production when the body isn't creating enough on its own. Priscilla had gotten very anemic, with a hematocrit (measure of red blood cells) down to about 11.. then it came up a bit with all the things we were doing and leveled off at 15 for a while.. but then it was back down to 13.5 at last week's blood test. That's when we started the Epogen. When she was checked again on Wednesday (14th) it had gone up to about 18, so the stuff is definitely working.

I think the normal hematocrit for a cat is something like between 24 and 45.

The trouble with Epogen is that it is synthesized from HUMAN rather than feline DNA (a version specifically for cats has not been developed), and at some point the species difference could kick in and render it ineffective.

Thank you, Taccoa (Elmer says hi!) and family, Gary, Sandra, Kalei, KAK, and Medusa..

Love,
    Priscilla and Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Prayers for Pricilla. I hope she feels better.

I hope that Priscilla will continue to do well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Priscilla both.

Give my love to Priscilla!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thank you, Momcat, Jen, Jenn, and Kim, for your love, prayers, and good wishes. We will keep you all posted. God bless you.

Love,
    Priscilla and Pat
    Death thought about it.