Thread: bromelain and quercetin

bromelain and quercetin

Has anyone used bromelain and quercetin instead of Benadryl for their dog? It is supposed to be for allergies and inflammation. Sometimes called Quercetin Plus? Kind of an herbal thing. Foster and Smith sells an allergy pill with that combination in plus other ingredients, also. I was just wondering if it had a noticable effect or not. I am finding Benadryl so sedating and the water bucket being emptied like crazy. I load my dog before her allergy shot and she is zonked afterwards. Then she gets up and drinks like there is no tomorrow. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by chermes
    Has anyone used bromelain and quercetin instead of Benadryl for their dog? It is supposed to be for allergies and inflammation. Sometimes called Quercetin Plus? Kind of an herbal thing. Foster and Smith sells an allergy pill with that combination in plus other ingredients, also. I was just wondering if it had a noticable effect or not. I am finding Benadryl so sedating and the water bucket being emptied like crazy. I load my dog before her allergy shot and she is zonked afterwards. Then she gets up and drinks like there is no tomorrow. Thanks to all.
    Both bromelain and quercetin have anti-histamine activity, but I wouldn't be using it for the purpose your Vet to telling you to use Benadryl - prevention of anaphylactic shock as a result of the allergy desensitization shots.

You have two alternatives to Benedryl. The first is the prescription drug Hydroxyzine. It tends to be more potent than Benedryl or less needed, and thus less sedation. The second choice is a cortisteroid to suppress any immediate immune response to the shot. Discuss the alternatives with your Vet.