Thread: Need help with morning sickness

Need help with morning sickness

First off I HATE that term "morning sickness". I have NEVER had it just in the morning as the name would imply. I wish it was that way. This time around I am having it all day and all night every day and it is exhausting me.

Usually crackers are the key. But guess what. I can't even look at crackers right now. Just saying it aloud makes me gage. So if anyone has any ideas or sugestions for morning sickness other then crackers I am all ears. In fact I am BEGGING for ideas. lol
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    First off I HATE that term "morning sickness". I have NEVER had it just in the morning as the name would imply. I wish it was that way. This time around I am having it all day and all night every day and it is exhausting me.

Usually crackers are the key. But guess what. I can't even look at crackers right now. Just saying it aloud makes me gage. So if anyone has any ideas or sugestions for morning sickness other then crackers I am all ears. In fact I am BEGGING for ideas. lol
    Nicole

LOL I never got the "morning" sickness either... the should call it 24/7 sickness lol. I really do feel your pain. Everyone suggested crackers but like you I couldn't stomach even those.

gingerale really helped me... I still felt bad but it made me burp rather than throw up. Also, dry cheerios worked for me. They were small so it didn't fill my mouth with the taste and gag me. Probably n ot very substantial but it was something i could eat and keep down. Baby carrots was another good one for me. Little bites.

Also, I found that the more sleep I got the less sick I was. Even if you have to sleep 14 hours a day... get as much sleep as your body says you need... it will help. I kept gingerale by my bedside at night too.

Are you taking prenatal vitamins? how far along are you? (congratulations BTW) If you are taking prenatal vitamins those could also be contributing.... the nurse told me that if I was really sick while taking the vitamins to get off the vitamins and take 2 Flintstones completes each day.

If I think of anything else I will let ya know... otherwise all I can say is goodluck and tell you what every one tells me... "This too shall pass"

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

You'd think I would be used to this by now with this being my third time round. lol No matter how many times someone is pregnant though I think each pregnancy is different.

Can't have gingerale. Tried it. Made me sick. lol But I will send hubby out for some cherios, that sounds like a workable idea and the baby carrots too.

I am about 3-4 weeks along now. So not very far. I just started the vitamins yesterday once the doc confirmed my pregnancy. Since I have been this sick for over 2 weeks now I know it is not the vitamins. lol.

If you think of any other ideas I would love to hear them. I am open to almost anything right now. lol
    Nicole

I never got morning sickness. but since pople use crackers and stuff. why not try bread? and dont eat alot of food with acid like pizza sauce if you get sick alot, I used to get horrible heart burn and wouldnt beable to sleep so bland foods would prolly work best with morning sickness.

OH another thing I just thought of.

Ever heard of seabands? They are for motionsickness but they have also been recommended for morning sickness as well. I used those and they helped... didn't make it stop completely but they helped.

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/seabands.html

They have no effects on the baby as it is just an accupressure band so they are totally safe to use.

Good luck

Along the same principle as the Seabands (which did work a bit for me), you could try pinching the web between your thunb and index finger for 60 seconds - this is also a good accupressure cure for nausea. Don't try other accupressure techniques unless they are specifically mentioned for use in pregnancy.

Also try to get something in your tummy BEFORE you get out of bed. I also had problems with nausea throughout the day, but they did seem to be less on the days I managed to eat something before getting up and moving around. I'm not sure what they are called in the US, but I found "Ginger Nut / Ginger Snap" biscuits were a great help too.

Try to find a smell which is not offensive to you (I used fresh ginger) and "sniff" this smell. Also try not wearing perfume for a couple of days, to see if that is contributing.

Try to avoid dehydration by taking little sips of a sports drink like Gatoraid throughout the day - this will help to keep your electrolytes balanced.

A friend found that plain vanilla Ice Cream helped to settle her tummy (or maybe that was just an excuse to live on Ice cream )

Also one comment re the vitimins - they may NOT be causung the nausea now, but they could contribute later on. Around 7 months I suddenly became nauseous again, and the taste of the vitimin capsule kept repeating on me. When I switched to a different brand which was sugar-coated and NOT in a capsule the nausea stopped.

Congrats on the pregnancy, and good luck with managing the "morning" sickness!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Never been pregnant so I have no advice, but I hope you feel better soon!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Someone suggested Werther's Originals hard candies to me, and they did seem to help for awhile. With me, it kind of varied. One thing would work for awhile, then something else. Caffeine-free or regular Coca-Cola helped for awhile, too.

I had very little morning sickness, but when I did experience it I noticed it was when I would let myself go for more than a couple hours without eating. I ate small meals and snacks throughout the day and that really helped me. I also started each day with some kind of grain (usually Cheeros). When I was out I'd take a snack with me in my purse too.

I hope you feel better.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Check with a health food store or something...but I heard once that one of the B vitamins had to be taken in higher amounts for morning sickness...was it B6?

Might be worth Googling....

Hope you feel better soon...{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Crystallized ginger is an old-time remedy that I definitely found helpful.

The weirdest thing, though, turned out to be randomly helpful. I woke up one morning feeling really queasy, but my head also itched, so I scratched my head, and I noticed that the nasty feeling in my stomach diminished, so I just scratched my scalp slowly and gently for a while and it calmed my stomach way down, to where I could toast and eat an English muffin, and that really got it down to a dull roar.

But then maybe I'm a space alien...

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Check with a health food store or something...but I heard once that one of the B vitamins had to be taken in higher amounts for morning sickness...was it B6?

Might be worth Googling....

Hope you feel better soon...{{{hugs}}}

Gatorade is great for B vitamins.... and it's not terrible tasting When you can... try to drink some of that.

get some preggo pops they sell them at babies r us!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month