Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current PT poll re leaving messages on "answer phone"

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Current PT poll re leaving messages on "answer phone"

I'm just curious if anyone actually has "answering machines" anymore - the old-fashioned kind with those mini tapes? Way back when I had one of those - in the dark ages before voicemail, I would call and talk to my cat as I knew my voice would come through the speaker on the answering machine. However, now that we're in the digital age and everyone's gone to voicemail systems, well, there's just no sense in calling to leave a message for my pets because they won't hear it anyway - everything just goes directly into the phone company's voicemail server, to be stored until I retrieve the message.

Just curious - do they even make "answering machines" anymore?

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Oh yes! they still have answering machines, I have one. they are dijital now, so no tapes needed! I have to have an answering machine!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Yep, I still have and use one. It was my parents'. I got it when i moved out. The thing must be at least 20 years old!

I MUCH prefer being able to hear the messages. Every now and then i need to screen my calls. (I think screening is rude and don't do it often.)

Plus I like being able to call home to the pets

We're thinking of getting voice mail, but ONLY if we can have it set to answer after at least two more rings than our answering machine. That way we can still get calls if our line is busy, or switch off the answering machine when we go out of town. We want our answering machine as our first line of defense.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Yup I have one; the newer digital type, no tape in it. I don't see why I should pay a monthly fee for voicemail when I can get the machine for the price of 5 months of fees. My machines generally last me 4 to 5 years, so a great savings. i'drather spend teh money on the pets.

And I have it set so I can hear it. That way I know if I have to stop cleaning litter boxes to take a call, or can wait; have to stop putting kibble in dishes; can take the dog out, whatever. If I happen to be free I answer; but with 8 pets and a Dad, I'm seldom free.

Not only have I left messages for the cat to hear, I also asked my husband to put the cel phone near the kitty so I could tell him I missed him when Ii'm away..
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

Nope, we've got voicemail here

got one and use it. i cannot see why i should pay more in a year for voice mail then the cost of a phone and digital answering machine. magic the very shy meow will climb on the counter to stare curiously when an incoming call comes, i do leave messages on the phone for the critters. i've seen them look curiously at the phone during playback.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

We have one that plays outloud when the message is being recorded, however, I don't know if it's the "old fashioned" type.

And I do joke around and say "Simba, if you're there, pick up the phone!!"

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Yep, I've got one of the digital answering machines. It is combined with my cordless phone. I hardly ever use my home phone, so we figured this one would be fine, instead of paying for the voicemail service. Bruce has the voicemail on his line, which is also the business line.
    Also, I always think about if I need to get a hold of Bruce in the morning when he is still asleep and I am on my way to work. I would call my line and start yelling into the answering machine. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Like I said before, I love my answering machine. I dont know If I will ever have just Voicemail, as It drives me nuts on my cell phone! I hate having to push in passwords, and having to listen to te automated crap before i can even listen to my messages! Drives me nuts! Sorry ust had to vent about V-Mail!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I AGREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    ...it drives me nuts on my cell phone! I hate having to push in passwords, and having to listen to te automated crap before i can even listen to my messages! Drives me nuts!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I remember when I first switched to VM- 6 years ago, maybe. Lillycat would call and think it was a machine, LOL. "Pick up, please". Anyhow, I don't have a home phone, and the only thing on cells is VM. We have a guy renting space from us, and he does have a machine...though it is digital. How dark agish, eh?

Not sure if they make them or not, but I have kept the tape from the last one I had, from 14 years ago. It has a voice message from my mother, who passed away. It's nice to still be able to hear her voice say my name. There is also a message from my ex- which reminds me why I got a divorce, handy for those times I wonder if I did the right thing.

I have one of these "antiques" currently in use...tape and all!

I have voicemail on my mobile phone, but the answering machine at home is the one with the mini-tape, and the animals can hear you when you call to leave a message! I guess I need to upgrade myself, huh? *snicker*

Current PT poll re leaving messages on "answer phone"

I have TAD voice mail.. Now the girls can hear my voice thru it.. Glad to know I am not the only one that calls home to talk to the babies..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>