Thread: We're moving

We're moving

After searching for a decent place for a year and a half, my husband and I have finally found one and we are gearing up to move on August 1. The only thing I am worried about is how this is going to affect my babies. Does anyone have any ideas? The apartment is a newly renovated basement apartment, so there shouldn't be any cat smells in it already that might make them territorial. But generally, what can we expect? And how can we help make it easy on them?

At the top, right, click on search.
    at Search by keyword, type in moving.
    At Search options, search forum, click on Cats, and search titles only.
    click on Perform search. This may help.

(I love search)

There have been a couple of threads on this with some good ideas -- such as crating them while the moving is going on and containing them in a small area at first in the new home.

From personal experience...keep some soiled litter ( ) to put in the litter box in your new home so that doesn't seem strange to them. We used vet prescribed tranquillizer for Edwina and would NOT do it again.

We are hoping that since the move is only about a 10-15 minute ride away it will help a little by not scaring them by having to be in carrier for too long. I looked at some of the older threads and most people seem to say that kitties will generally be ok. We will probably just move the litter box already set up, since we aren't going too far. We are just mostly worried because after we got Mooey in November it took MONTHS for Pesty to get over it, and only now is she really back to her old self.

We just moved this past weekend and the cats did pretty good. They just wanted to explore and I would advise keeping them inside for a week. So far ours babies have been pretty good about not wanting outside. Also, keep them in one room with the door closed till you get moved in.
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

My babies don't go outside as it is, so the outside part shouldn't be a problem. They would probably be completely under foot if we don't keep them in one room, so that is probably a good idea. We figure we will move them last. Thanks all for your suggestions.