Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and Cons of Multi-dog ownership?

Hi! I'm not sure how old your Jenny is, nor can I tell if she is smaller than the fawn dog, being part whippet.

The one time I had 2 dogs, my Princess was about 13 and had suffered a series of strokes, and I took in my grandpa's dog, Samantha, after he died. Sam was about 11, no health issues. Princess had been the one and only all her life, we got her when she was 5 months old. Princess sat out in the porch and sulked for 3 weeks, and refused to come in the house! It took some work to get her to come around. Eventually they got along. Sam was always more active, and they had to be walked separately. Princess was not well and moved slowly, Sam was all over checking out everything and dashing here and there. It was OK when we were home, took a little more thought if we went out to a field or the beach or on vacation. (They both lived to be 16.) They never fought over food or anything, but that may have been because Princess couldn't fight at that point. The vet said Princess recovered better and lived longer having the second dog around.

I would also mention that Boo boo is going to need time learning to be a pet, learning about family life. It's always great to already have a dog present, for the rescue to copy and imitate. She looks lovely, I hope you decide to adopt her. I bet you will find more "work" in helping her adapt, than you will in getting them to get along. I just can't tell if Boo boo can walk at Jenny's pace or if it will be too slow for her. But you can work around that!

First off, will Jenny get bad ideas if the other dog isn't as well trained as her? Say, it doesn't come when called, will Jenny stop coming when called?

Well, dogs dont actually learn by observation, so no, if one dog doesnt know come, your other dog wont learn not to come anymore. However, there are some things though that dogs do that are social or have to do with survival (such as eating, drinking water, potty, etc) that they often "copy" each other on. Have you ever seen one dog go to the water bowl then a bunch of others join in? Or one dog digging a hole and the others join in? But they cant learn any obedience type stuff from each other.

What changes? Like what is the difference, walking one dog compared to walking two?

Depending on your dog(s) it can be near impossible to walk 2+ at a time. Especially if one or both are active, or if one or both dont have perfect leash manners. I RARELY walk my 2 together, and its only when they both have their gentle leaders on. My 2 are very reactive, especially when they see another dog, and they feed off of each other- so instead of getting a little aroused, they get double as barky/worked up when together and a dog walks by.

Will it not be as attatched to me as Jenny is?

This all depends on the dog. Some dogs tend to attach to one person, some love everybody. And much of it also depends on how important/relevant you are to the dog. For example, who walks the dog, trains it, plays with it, feed it, etc. It has little to do with how loved you already are by another dog, etc. Sometimes dogs may be more attached to each other than to people too, but again it mostly depends on the individual dog.

Now, whenever we watch a movie, Jenny will quietly lie on her bed. If we got another dog, would they both lie down, or would they be up playing with each other?

Again, depends on the dog- their temperament, their age, breed, etc, and it also GREATLY depends on their mood. If they are both adult dogs and have had enough exercise that day, yeah I imagine they would both lie quietly. Dogs, like people, are all different and have different moods. My dogs are 3 & 4 yrs old, so they mostly just hang out and mellow around the house, but there are certain times of the day that they get excited and start racing around, wrestling with each other.

How do you keep the fastest eater from fighting for the others remaining food? Or would they not be able to both eat in the kitchen? (my mom isn't fond of the idea of them not eating in the kitchen, because it would ruin the carpet)

Many dogs learn to work out their relationships so they dont fight over resources. (Took my dogs only a week before they stopped arguing over everything, though of course there are some items that are higher value and they do occasionally scuffle, but for the most part theyve learned each other's boundaries). Ive also heard many people have taught their dogs to eat together and only out of their own bowls. But in general you cant really expect any dog not to eat unattended food. Id say the solution would be to feed them far enough apart that they arent tempted to eat each others food, and once they finish pick up any left overs until the next meal time. If your current dog is free fed, Id recommend switching to timed meals.

Would they fight over the 'best' seat in front of the fire?

Maybe always, maybe sometimes, maybe never. Like I said, most dogs figure their boundaries and relationship out in a short time. Some dogs dont guard locations, some do. Some dogs dont guard toys, some do. Some dogs dont guard food, most do. lol A lot depends on the dog. Most dogs I know usually share spots and beds and greatly enjoy each other's company.

How do you tell the difference between play, fighting for dominence, and 'real' fighting?

Its challenging. You really have to see a lot of it, and ideally have help from a professional or book to spot everything. A dog that has been properly socialized around other dogs between the age of 8 wks-18 wks will have learned to ritualize the pressure of its bite so that it will never do any damage when it bites. So even if it gets into a real fight, it wont do any damage. That said also, dogs rarely get into real fights that actually need to be broken up (I have never seen one in my 4+ yrs working with dogs professionally). They do however OFTEN scuffle. This is usually very loud, over the top, lots of teeth showing, pawing, etc. Again this is all very ritualized in a properly socialized dog and rarely leads to any damage. Dogs are social predators meaning they walk around with deadly weapons in their heads (teeth/jaws) yet they have to have a way to communicate with each other safely. So evolutionarily dogs have developed very complex ways of communicating and arguing without hurting each other. If they didnt, the species wouldnt have survived!

And a biggie, because I've heard a lot of different opinions on this one: Are two dogs not much more work (than one dog is) or a LOT more work (than one dog is) ?

Depends on the dog & your lifestyle. Its definitely a lot different than just having one. There are a lot of pros and cons. I found it very helpful to have a 2nd dog to play with and entertain my 1st dog. They often wear each other out. But at the same time, they have very different needs and behavioral challenges that make for twice the work in a lot of areas. In general I think a 2nd dog isnt too much different than 1, as long as they are a good match. 3 dogs though is very very different.
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Thank you sooooo much everyone. I'm working on it because my heart longs so much for booboo. My mom isn't too fond of the idea, but I wanted to start a thread, because I know, even if it isn't booboo, and even if it isn't for another year or even more, I will be eventually adding another dog to the family. I appreciate all your words and answering all my questions, and I will certainly read and re-read them. Thanks so much everyone. I'll be showing this thread to my mom, hopefully all your words will help.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

BooBoo will likely get adopted extremely quickly being young female outgoing and light fawn, more than likely to someone who already has an existing applicantion in already. Don't mean to disappoint it is just the way it is.

As for weather

My Maya is a from Central Florida arrived 3 years ago during a bitter cold snap she has become very much a snow dog and loves playing outside naked, she hates wearing a coat

this was taken the day of her arrival

She had to adjust to the weather ( the black grey) All greyhound groups provide a muzzle, it is a great tool for introducing dogs to one another, as during the first month of getting to know each other there can be squabbles, and some get nippy when they play which can lead to horrible skin tears in these thin skinned dogs. THe greys muzzled in the following picture are my own greys, the red unmuzzled on was my dominant foster boy I took off the muzzle just for the picture, but even after 6 weeks together their was some bullying and all the dogs are muzzled to ensure no one gets hurt, even through one was a bully the others needed to be muzzled as well in the event they wanted to retaliate, I fostered him for 6 weeks and things were starting to settle down. Females can be a little more snipier with one anotherand when I put multiple females in my home I like to have different dominance levels so there is less conflict and competition between them so their is less risk of fighting and getting their noses out of joint, something you should keep in mind when putting 2 females together, with greyhounds there is a risk of sleep aggression early on, greyhounds have become used to having their privacy and eating seperately, so I like to feed seperately initially preferably with the new grey in a crate, and early on they often do not like having dogs bothering them when they are laying down sleeping they have been raise is seperate condo's(crates) so may startle initially or get upset when a new dogs enters their territory while on a bed. So for the first month or so you need to supervise interactions closely until they get to know each other

She now has to be dragged inside most of the time as she like being outside playing

I do not put on coats for short potty breaks unless it is bitterly cold, their feet tend to freeze before their bodies do, I have found that around 7 to 8 years old they start to become less tolerant of the cold when younger they tend to want to stay outside longer, if walking salt burns their feet fairly quickly so walks booties tend to be more important than a coat

If you have a yard with a nice lawn to run on it won't stay that way long, they tend to create their own race track and the running with rip out the grass

I personally can't imagine owning just one dog.

Because I have a busy schedule, I do not feel I have enough time to devote to a single dog. I think that the single dog's people become their pack and playmates to a greater degree that they do for multiple dogs. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

My friend Bob, for example, has one dog. That's the way he wants it, because it's just the two of them and he wants Jack to act more like a human and less like a dog. He has the time to devote to his dog.

I, however, don't feel that I have that time, and I want my dogs to have canine siblings to play with when I'm not available. I want my dogs to be less needy, and more self-sufficient.

I've never really had dogs learn bad habits from new dogs, usually the new dogs learn the good habits from the old dogs, for the most part. The notable exception ... males and marking. I've had my dogs pick up marking from foster dogs.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I remember when Buddy died. Without his pressence, and the papillion at the time still living at the other home, I felt like the house was deafly quiet. I slipped into depression. Finally I just couldn't take the silence anymore, and got Hottie. Even the work I had to do with his surgery and all, the fact is he needed me so much, his activities pulled me out of the depression. Two months later, I finally got piddles ( the papillion) back, and everything really picked up.
    In reflection although any death hurts deeply, having another pet in the home helps you adjust. Nothing can replace what happens, but the unconditional love from the others helped me get through the grief as well.

I personally, will never have just one dog!
    2 is much better!
    They always have a playmate!!
    But it does mean more money and more time spent taking care of them!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ontariogreys
    BooBoo will likely get adopted extremely quickly being young female outgoing and light fawn, more than likely to someone who already has an existing applicantion in already. Don't mean to disappoint it is just the way it is.

Hmmm, true, I never thought of that.

Hey, you mid if I ask you where in Ontario you are? It'd be really nice to meet up sometime. Your dogs are gorgeous!
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    Hmmm, true, I never thought of that.

Hey, you mid if I ask you where in Ontario you are? It'd be really nice to meet up sometime. Your dogs are gorgeous!
    Orrr-- you put in your application and its a better fit that is in already. Keep in mind- sighthounds do better with other sighthounds. Sighthounds, although indivuals, think alike. Other applications could have a more domineering breed. A race track dogs needs to speak the same language. And if fostered out- the foster mom has a say in the deal. She may say Booboo should be with another sighthound- which the other application does not have.

First off, will Jenny get bad ideas if the other dog isn't as well trained as her? Say, it doesn't come when called, will Jenny stop coming when called
    ?
    For the most part, the new dog will learn from Jenny. Although, when I got Sam and he would chew on things he's not supposed to or pee in the house, Molli started some of those bad habits she never did before.

What changes? Like what is the difference, walking one dog compared to walking two?

I think it's just as easy to walk two dogs, as long as they are both trained to walk politely on the leash. I taught Sammy to walk on a leash by himself before I started walking him and Molli together.

Depends. If you spend a lot of time with the dog, then he/she may be just as attached to you. It also depends on the dog. Like mentioned before, some dogs get attached to just one person, some love everyone.

Now, whenever we watch a movie, Jenny will quietly lie on her bed. If we got another dog, would they both lie down, or would they be up playing with each other?
    This also depends. If they got enough exercise for the day, they will probably sit quietly, or you can easily get them to settle down. If they've been cooped up all day in the house, they're more likely to play with each other. Also depends on their mood and temperment. Molli and Sam love playing with each other all the time in the house, but I can usually get them to calm down when I need them to be. Sometimes one or the other are in a grumpy mood so they won't play.

How do you keep the fastest eater from fighting for the others remaining food? Or would they not be able to both eat in the kitchen? (my mom isn't fond of the idea of them not eating in the kitchen, because it would ruin the carpet)
    I would strongly recommend you keep them in seperate rooms or their kennels when they are eating. Many dogs are food aggressive and that could cause a fight. Molli is very food aggressive, so I can never leave them together in a room with food or treats.

Most likely not. If they're close they may cuddle together. If they want their space, one dog would find a different spot.

How do you tell the difference between play, fighting for dominence, and 'real' fighting?
    I dido what Kay said.

And a biggie, because I've heard a lot of different opinions on this one: Are two dogs not much more work (than one dog is) or a LOT more work (than one dog is) ?
    I find that there is a lot more work in some areas like grooming, training, etc. I find that I really don't have to exercise my dogs nearly as much, because they wear each other out from play fighting and chasing each other. It's also nice because my mom works 12 hour shifts and I go to school, so they keep each other company while we're gone. If your dogs are a good match, it shoulden't be too much more work than having one.
    My dogs are quite a bit of work because of Molli's severe food aggression, and they still have not figured out who is dominent over the other so they fight quite a bit.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I am in Woodstock about 20 minutes east of London along 401, I noticed in another post you mentioned your also in Ontario near Quebec.

This is posted on the site where Boo-Boo is at
    Please note that GRR only works with potential adopters in the following areas : NY State: Duchess County, Putnam County, Westchester County. Connecticut: Fairfield County. This enables our current and potential adopters to have the necessary GRR resources within a reasonable distance of their homes. If you live elsewhere and are interested in adopting a Grey, send us an email and we will be happy to refer you to the Greyhound Adoption group which is active in your area!
    Most greyhound adoption groups require that a home visit is done prior to placement which makes it very difficult to adopt greys from US adoptions groups, Maya I was able to get from Florida 1) because I have other adoptive greyhounds, 2) I was a foster parent and volunteered with an adoption group, 3) I had a supporting adopting here to be my sponsor that did the homevisit and would accept responsiblity for the grey if for some reason the adoption did not work out, for example if her and the other dogs did not get along, and lastly 4) Maya was a special needs adoption and I had previous experience with a spook greyhound

This is to ensure there is a safety net for all greys adopted, so they don't end up dumped in pounds and it does happen sadly.

There are a couple of groups in the US that will adopt to Canadian residents but only if they adoption rep somewhat near the area of the adopter a couple groups Michigan and one in Vermont

If you wanted to get a greyhound your best source would be
    GRACanada http://gracanada.com/ it is near me but they operate out of a kennel rather than fosterhomes, but when you have other dogs you must bring them along to meet to be sure the dog you pick will get along, the only group around that lets you pick your own greyhound though certain ones are recommended according to your application, no home visit required, this one is near London

A group in Ottawa the flies dogs in from Florida a couple times a year, they collect info on your lifestyle then contact the track to have them pick out dogs that match a certain profile that would fit in your family. http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.com/

There is a group in Quebec but they send you info to a track in the US where a greyhound in picked out for you http://www.greyhoundrescuequebec.com/

You may be close enough to one group in Vermont to be considered
    http://www.vtgreys.org/

Your other option would be a non racing greyhound rescue.

In ohio some are bred for hunting some will be crosses with other hounds and when they no longer need they dump at pounds and humane societies, you can check thru petfinder some are listed as greyhound crosses but some may have no greyhound in them, Ocassionly a racing hound ends up in them

Here is a female in one pound that looks all grey and obviously not to happy and very terrified
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7960511

Since many have answered your questions, I'll just offer my two cents.

For a couple of years I had been wanting to get Kia a companion but never really researched or thought deeply about the ramifications of having two dogs.

I don't regret adopting Chipper and he's really settled in and has melded into the pack so to speak.

I do walk them together but because they are about the same size, they are not too difficult to handle. Chipper likes to go, go, go! While Kia wants to stop and sniff. Since I want to go, go, go... it has now become two against one, so Kia begrudingly caves. I enjoy walking two dogs more than I ever enjoyed walking Kia alone. Because Kia never wanted to walk. She just wanted to stop every 5 feet to sniff and pee.

Chipper came with a nasty habit of jumping and suddenly, Kia, who never jumped up before, began too.

So in a way, Chipper did teach Kia a bad habit which we are working quickly to nip in the bud. However, teaching him good habits has been pretty easy since Kia is there to demonstrate. He picked up shake in less than an hour.

It's sort of a give and take relationship. Chipper was enrolled in obedience and we pretty much have been giving Kia a refresher course. It's been a good experience so far. Though it's funny when I practice a sit, stay with them. Chipper will obey, while Kia will come slinking over after a couple of minutes with this "Are we done yet?" look.

She must think since she's older, she can get away with it.

Kia still has mild food agression but Chipper doesn't try to take away treats from her. Just patiently waits to see if there will be left overs. And she has been letting him lick her empty food bowl, something she's never allowed my sister's dogs to get away with.

They play great together, but he does get on her nerves sometimes, and that's when we intervien with a 'time out'.

Definitely has it's pros and cons, but I can't imagine being a one dog household ever again.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundGirl
    I'm really only at the "interested" stage now... But I was really looking for some info on some pros and cons of adding a second dog. Jenny has only ever been in a one-dog household. I've never been responsible for more than one dog (at a time.)

First off, will Jenny get bad ideas if the other dog isn't as well trained as her? Say, it doesn't come when called, will Jenny stop coming when called?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I do add another I want to know what I'm in for.
    there will be some playing when not wanted and there maybe some problems with feeding but and yes the will fight over the best spot at the fire place but they will come to a good half and half there .

Old thread , this member doesn't even come on here anymore.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee