Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you let your dog do this?

my dogs absolutly refuse to potty on cement, if I take them on a trip somewhere I have to try to find some grass or dirt for them or they refuse to potty. they do sometimes potty where the sidwalk is located in the winter, but they cant exactly SEE the pavement either lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Sugar always seeks out the grass. I don't know if it is her natural tendency or if she was taught this.

It was a bit of a problem yesterday and a few other times; with all the rain the back yard becomes a wading pool (and we didn't even get the proper permits! ) She refuses to get her tootsies wet. Fortunately, the front yard didn't flood.

She has only used the driveway once. We had been in the car a LONG time, due to an accident on the highway. I knew it was not her preference, so I didn't say anthing to her. Just cleaned up and moved on.

I'm not sure what to do when we walk through the neighbor hood. She will pee on the grass. I worry someone will holler at us. (I carry bags and scoop any poops.)

Colbi prefers the grass, but when its like -25 degrees outside and a huge amount of snow in the backyard, or if its raining (we get HUGE puddles in our backyard and she comes in all muddy and soaking wet), she goes on the driveway. But when it's nice out we always bring her in the backyard. If she does go on the driveway though we pick it up right away. Don't want anyone coming to our house and seeing doggie poop all over the place.

Mine also prefer grass or dirt. As it is, it takes Bella quite some sniffing time to find just the right place to squat. Ripley of course looks for the nearest tree. The only time they have ever gone anywhere else was when there was a lot of snow and we hadn't yet cleaned off the deck. They both pottied on the deck but really had no way to get down into the yard. Ripley used the area under the deck (it is dirt and stones under there) when we had almost a blizzard a few years ago rather than journey out into the yard on the little path we had shoveled for them.

Well we have no sidewalks, and they are not allowed to go past the deck which is the driveway- so I would have to say " no".
    When I owned a townhome in town, you had to pick up after your dog with a 25 dollar fine if you didn't. So we all just carried " poopy bags."

I havent got a dog but when we go out with my friends dogs i let them
    and when we used to have a dog i would let him

IF A DOG HAS TO GO IT HAS TO GO
    A pet is for life not for christmas

If you BUY you give an animal a home, if you ADOPT/REHOME you give an animal a life

My dogs were trained never to go in the streets at all. They could go in the run at home or when they were on the fields. Still, as they got older and less able to hold themselves, they did start needing to go in the street so I had to adapt by being prepared.

If they poop, I have poops bags that I pick it up with and out it in the bin when I get home or a bin in the street. We have a couple near me that have a part for dog waste.
    With urine, they generally prefer to do it on a grass verge rather than on concrete but you can't pick that up anyway and it dries up quickly as well. Urine is sterile so it isn't going to cause the same hazards as what a stool can. It can smell if it accumulates and lingers but that doesn't happen out on the street with the odd pee.

In the UK, it is an offence to not clean up after your dog if it passes a stool anywhere meant for public use such as pavements and grass verges next to roads with a speed limit of 40 MPH or under, playing fields, parks etc....
    It doesn't apply to agricultural land, common ground, waste ground and general countryside etc....
    If people are caught not cleaning up after their dogs in areas covered by the law, they can be fined. Doesn't stop a lot of them though. Still, it is becoming increasingly unacceptable generally and anyone who does lets their dog foul and doesn't clean it up will receive objections from other people at some point or another...or even reported.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

if a dog needs to go it needs to go it is bad for its organs ok if the dog wont go then its different but what if the dog needs to go you should not make your dog hold it and what is wrong with a dog peeing or pooping on the driveway or side walk (as long as it is picked up) no harm done!!

If you BUY you give an animal a home, if you ADOPT/REHOME you give an animal a life

by the way i know it is an offence in england i live in england i mean if you pick it up and again like you said you cant pick up pee

We don't "let" them, but we also won't punish them if they do.

When Jack first came to us he would ONLY poop in the driveway, we have a strong suspicion he came from a kennel situation so it was completely understandable. He rarely does it anymore though.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

if dogs wanna do it on the sidewalk let them NO HARM WILL BE DONE just pick it up !!!!!!

The only time my dogs were walked in the street is the two minute walk it takes to get from our house to the fields so it isn't like they really had to hold themselves. Also, they could do it in the run beforehand if they were busting. Also, dogs kept indoors have to hold themselves all the time.

Being creatures of habit, they preferred to wait until they got to their favoured spots down the fields and then they'd do their business.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Jasper doesn't usually go on th cement, but if he does I really don't mind.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

it only takes me and my friend about 2 mins to get to the fields

so we dont have to walk long either but then again why should the dog not be aloud to potty ??? if you pick it up then like i keep saying no harm don but if you dont pick it up then it is different