Thread: my RAW eater ate kibble! A LOT OF IT TOO!

my RAW eater ate kibble! A LOT OF IT TOO!

I woke up this morning. Took the dogs out and fed them. I feed Bruce(the foster) dog kibble. My permanent dogs eat Raw food. I put the dogs in their crates and cleaned the garage and took a shower. When I came back Gracie had gotten out of her crate somehow and had eaten a bunch of the dog kibble! Her belly was all fat. I freaked out. Will she get sick since she's been on Raw food and suddenly ate a lot of kibble or am I just bein a freaky mum. I'm keeping an eye on her incase she bloats.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have had that happen on occasion, all I ever did was what you are doing, keep an eye on them (they were always fine knock on wood).
    I also fasted them for 36 hours from food, to let the kibble pass out completely.

Try not to worry, and it will be fine I am sure!

Kym
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

I'd probably skip the next meal and maybe even go lightly on the next one if she ate a lot.. but she shouldn't get anything more than an upset tummy.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    I woke up this morning. Took the dogs out and fed them. I feed Bruce(the foster) dog kibble. My permanent dogs eat Raw food. I put the dogs in their crates and cleaned the garage and took a shower. When I came back Gracie had gotten out of her crate somehow and had eaten a bunch of the dog kibble! Her belly was all fat. I freaked out. Will she get sick since she's been on Raw food and suddenly ate a lot of kibble or am I just bein a freaky mum. I'm keeping an eye on her incase she bloats.
    Oh oh- skip a meal. That will clear the gut then only half raw on the meal afterwards.
    I know what you mean by the fear of bloat. It scares me too!

Chloe did the same a while back...when we were watching my friends dane, whos fed kibble... chloe decided that she needed to eat some aswell! She ate 10 cups of IAMS to be exact...*gags* but she certainly enjoyed it, she did throw up a bit later but i think it was just because she ate so much, so fast.

there might be some diarrhea/gas too. fasting gracie is a good idea, and bet a better lid on the kibble lid. dogs can be persistant when it comes to forbidden food
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Lute- as you know, the reason why kibble can be dangerious is not just the swelling of the kibble, but also kibble digests slower. With a raw fed dog that would digest the food quicker- the kibble will slow down the bone. I am sorry no dinner here- but its the best thing. Also- I would not walk too far- no exercise obviously especially on such a full stomach. Keep us posted .

thanks borzoimom! Gracie and I walked around the block while the others ate. I didn't let her get too excited. When we got home she went straight back to her crate and went to sleep. she's definatly not feeling well now. Poor thing. I hate seeing her like this...my lil hoss.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Eating too much does not cause bloat, nor does eating kibble. Doubtless, you will be made to feel supremely guilty (those doggies do know how to get us with the sad eyes) while you fast her, but just make sure she gets enough water, and as they say, "this too shall pass!"
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Eating too much does not cause bloat, nor does eating kibble. Doubtless, you will be made to feel supremely guilty (those doggies do know how to get us with the sad eyes) while you fast her, but just make sure she gets enough water, and as they say, "this too shall pass!"

If a dog eats too much kibble at a time they can get bloat. I was it on ER Vets a while back. Dog ate up to 10 cups or so of kibble in one sitting (the owners thought they were being nice by giving their dog so much food.) The dog started bloating and had the be rushed to the ER.

The kibble swells up which make 10 cups of food an even larger amount. That's why it's best to give a kibble fed dog 2-4 meals a day. Lesser intake at each meal.

I believe Gracie will be perfectly fine, though, since she hasn't seen any discomfort/problems yet.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    If a dog eats too much kibble at a time they can get bloat. I was it on ER Vets a while back. Dog ate up to 10 cups or so of kibble in one sitting (the owners thought they were being nice by giving their dog so much food.) The dog started bloating and had the be rushed to the ER.

The kibble swells up which make 10 cups of food an even larger amount. That's why it's best to give a kibble fed dog 2-4 meals a day. Lesser intake at each meal.

I believe Gracie will be perfectly fine, though, since she hasn't seen any discomfort/problems yet.
    Totally kfamr- even the half cup I use of Solid gold- I grind up in the food processor. If I have to go back to kibble- I fast one meal. This only occurs when we have a power outage. Our generator holds the Freezer, but we have no refrigeration. And considering I buy meats in 10 pound bags- I cant keep it cold until I finish the bag at the next feeding.