Thread: Please help

Please help

Okay I know it is kind of rude to post with out an introduction, however I am worried about my fish.

I have a betta fish that I have had for almost a year now. He was probably a year old when I got him, though I can't be certain. But anyways, he now has a curve in his spine near the tail region. He doesn't eat(unless I drop the food right infront of him), he hides a lot, he swims awkwardly, is easily paniced, and stays near the surface most of the time. He does not have bloating or scales sticking up or any outward signs of illness other than the spine curvature. I asked a person at the store where I got him and she said he was dying of old age. My friend looked at him yesterday and said he had a broken spine (although how he did that I don't know exactly).

I have no idea what to do, I don't want to euthanize him. I know it's kind of late to ask seeing as how it's almost been a week.

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    bump for a pet person!
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

A curved spine is likely one of five things. Old age, injury, water quality, a virus, or tuberculosis.
    Injury can pretty well be ruled out.
    Water quality is something you would know, but if you change the water often then you could rule out nitrate buildup.
    Old age and sickness are left.
    What kind of setup do you have? Treating with antibiotics would be a good start (at least it wouldn't hurt even though if its just old age it won't help). You could get a bottle of maracyn plus pretty cheap. But if you have a filter and a cycled tank then you might want to treat in a seperate container. As I'd avise anybody with fish, keep your hands away from the water if you have open cuts of any sort. Some fish viruses or bacteria can cause serious permanent damage if it gets in an open cut.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Well, Welcome!!!! and I think Irescue pretty much covered the need help thingy... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BATA!!!

Not rude at all to post without an intro and Welcome.Hope your betta feels better.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010