Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siberian Husky

Siberian Husky

I am not looking to get a show dog, but I do want a healthy, quality pet. I have not completely made my decision about getting a husky because I have heard so many things about them and don't want to get in over my head.. I want to be able to train my dog to be obedient and I've heard that huskies can be difficult to work with on obedience training. I just don't want my dog to jump on people, I want it to come when I say come, to sit if I want him to sit, to walk with me instead of pulling me, and to be house trained. Is this difficult to obtain with a husky? Are they really just interested in what they want to do instead of listening to you, even if you are consistent with your training and firm with them?

Almost impossible to obtain with a husky, especially the reliable recall. Most huskies do not come when called if they are off-leash, no matter how much training they have, no matter how it was done, how often you do it. A loose husky is a missing husky! They will not come home on their own if they do escape. They have been bred for thousands of years to run as far and as fast as they can and that's still what they do best.

Obedience is not a husky's strong suit. They are exceptionally bright, but they have minds of their own and lack the desire to please their owners. They are stubborn and independant spirits. They know what you want them to do, understand the commands, but if there is something more interesting to do, they will ignore you. Huskies are famous for their selective hearing!

I have 23 huskies and can't imagine living with another breed, but I have very different expectations of my dogs than what you listed. Given your list of requirements, I would strongly suggest you don't get a husky.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I think you're looking for a golden retriever, not a siberian husky. I have two siberian huskies. Both are inside dogs (though they love running in the fenced back yard....a secure 6 ft fence is a must with a husky) so they are house-trained. That was not hard to accomplish, they are very smart and clean dogs.

When you say you want the dog to come on command, are you meaning if the dog is off-leash? Siberian huskies can never be trusted off-leash. My male (Nebo) is 4 years old (the other one is only 4 1/2 months she doesn't know come yet) and he knows "come" and will come about 95% of the time in the back yard, but if we were not in a fenced area and he saw something interesting like an animal (huskies have a high prey drive) he would not come, and I can't risk losing him...so he is never off-leash. Huskies can be taught commands, but generally they will only follow them if they want to. They are not really "people-pleasing" dogs, they are "husky-pleasing" dogs...if it makes them happy, they'll do it, if not, don't count on it.

Mine will both sit, lay down, etc. on command and without having to be rewarded. They know many tricks as well, and are very food-motivated to learn them. Nebo does not jump on people, Keva (puppy) does, I'm working on training her not to.

Nebo knows how to walk nicely on a leash, and he'll do it when it's just me and when the environment is not distracting. But if I try to walk him around other dogs he turns on "husky selective hearing" and won't listen to me at all. So I use a no-pull harness most of the time.

Nebo is very well-behaved for a husky, he's very quiet, generally calm, and he does listen to me well (for a husky ). Keva is a typical husky, vocal, stubborn, loves to dig in the yard (if you want a wonderful landscaped yard and a immaculately clean house, do NOT get a husky!). Do you have any issues with shedding? They shed a lot, they blow their coats usually about twice a year and the fur will come out in clumps.

If you want a completely obedient dog that will follow your commands 100% of the time I suggest you look at a different breed. I have had both of my dogs since puppies, Nebo has been in 4 obedience classes and agility classes, Keva is currently in a puppy class. You can have a well-trained husky, but well-trained does not mean perfectly obedient...they are too independent for that.
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 02-27-2007 at 11:29 AM.

haha. thanks so much for the information, guys. too bad, looks like I really need to fall out of love with these dogs.
    oh well, i can always just photograph them.. i'm a photographer and i'm getting into pet photography!!

You might find another breed you'll fall in love with, being in pet photography! But what they said is all true - selective hearing is a definite husky thing - even my brother's husky mix - so only half husky - does that one really well!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sure you will find the breed that is right for you. You should stick around here, there's lots of people into photography...and lots of photos of huskies and other breeds to enjoy.

Huskies are indeed lovely but if you can handle them and if they are right for what you expect.........and it seem for what you were looking for, a Husky is not the breed for you, despite how much you love them.......

I love many breeds but I know some just donīt meet my expectations or my needs or even my lifestyle.........

Itīs good to ask before you get a dog, research, and not just get one by impulse.........good for you on doing that.........as wolf_Q said: stick around you may see another dog that could fit you more like you described previously and share your work as photographer........man we love pics and pets here!!.....
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

thanks this forum seems a little more active than the other couple i've posted on. my second choice was a doberman, because I've always been fond of them. i know families with dobermans so i've been around them a bit and they seem more prone to training and being obedient. so i'm going to poke my nose around more to make sure a doberman will work for me, but as far as i've researched it seems like a great choice so far. so.. i'm going to post another thread about it.

hello

hello every one, i have a question and i hope someone anyone has an answer for me. my dog is a siberian husky and she just had puppies on march 8th can anyone tell me how long it takes for them to open their eyes?

ok i think theyre eyes open at 10-14 days.

It's a wonderful you are posting around asking about huskies instead of just rushing out & getting one. Many people get them because of their good looks, without realizing what owning one- or two- or 23, entails. We've had our older dog since she was 5 weeks old, and she's 10 now. I trust her in my own yard only as far as I can see her. If she gets out of sight, she's gone. I've met several neighbors thanks to her little walks on those rare occasions she has snuck out. We now have 6' fencing. Our male is 4, I would never let him off leash outside of an off-leash park. That boy has taken off as I'm putting him into & out of the car more than once! I had another dog (rotti & aust. shep. mix) and the difference was astonishing. She came when called, she came back even if I didn't call, she stayed in the yard, couldn't do enough to please me. I felt like the most important person in her world. On the other hand, I've often said that with Star, I feel more like "the maid", LOL! Seriously, look around, each breed has its own unique qualities & temperment. Huskies truly aren't for everyone.

We love photos here on PT, and we'll look forward to seeing some of yours one of these days.

Are all huskies this way because I know somebody who has one and they always let him off lead and he stays with them and goes back to them when called. He was the one I posted photos of in the general forum a while back if anyone remembers.
    He was offlead when I took the photos of him and he didn't seem interested in running off anywhere....even to my two dogs who were waiting for me about 40 yards away. They don't get on well with other dogs so I had them wait for me out of the way.

Still, even with huskies like him around, I don't think it would be worth taking a chance on it when looking for an obedient dog.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupess
    Are all huskies this way .

It is an extremely rare husky, 1 in 100 maybe, that can be called reliable off leash. My husband likes to say Muskwa is reliable, what he means is Muskwa comes eventually! Not neccesarily the first or even the hundredth time he's called, but eventually he comes!

I have several husky crosses I let off leash sometimes, only one of the purebreds is allowed loose(Earle). I have many more who are never off leash, except in our fenced yard(it's four acres, there's lots of room to run). Even the ones I let off-leash, it's always done with a little hesitation. A squirrel, a grouse, something only the husky can see--anything could potentially lead them astray. It's a calculated risk. I live in an area where the risk to a wandering dog is fairly minimal, in the summer months(when my dogs are free walked). The risk of wolf predation is extremely high in the winter. None of the dogs get off-leash from November to April. If I lived somewhere else, they'd never get loose except in a fenced dog park.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Hmm, lol.

Yeah, this husky goes back to his owner pretty much as soon as he calls him. They must be lucky, I suppose. This husky is better with his recall than many other dogs of more obedient type breeds I see whilst out with our Jess.

He is fairly aloof though and isn't keen on strangers going up and trying to mess with him. Everyone wants to stroke him because of his looks, wolf like and his ice blue eyes. The owners have to be really careful because, even though they ask for people not to try and touch him, people still try. He's always been ok with me but I'm never in his face. I let him come to me if he wants and he'll have a little rub but most of his attention is on the guy who owns him.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Some huskies have better recall than others, but their independant streak makes them rather unpredictable. Some of them will listen & come every time...unless they see somthing more interesting, like another animal. Then the famous huskie selective hearing kicks in, along with the "I'll get back to you later" attitude, and you're left standing there by yourself. The huskies I've met have all been on the aloof side - they love people, but they like to be with you, with a ittle distance. They're not all cuddly & touchy like some other breeds. Whatever it is, (obedience, affection) it's always on their terms, not yours. Gotta love em!