Thread: Daisy And Delilah !!!!!!

Daisy And Delilah !!!!!!

Is this the one you wanted ????

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
    1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
    Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.
    We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day, and we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
    The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
    We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
    HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
    And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
    Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

And there is this one................

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"
    "We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."
    "C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"
    "It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning.. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor of a car.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
    Real ice boxes.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
    6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7. Party lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16 Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper remember sniffing it?
    19 Blue flashbulb
    20. Packards
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 16-25 = Y ou're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends....

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
    The senility to forget the people I never liked
    The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
    And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Well, that makes it official. I'm *older than dirt*.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I must be a week older than dirt because I remember every one of those!!

YES!!!! THANKS A MILLION!!! This time I'll be sure to copy, copy, save, save, copy, and save. I really appreciate it!! You're a doll

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am older than dirt too, we should form a club!

I fuss at my daughter all the time, when they invite me over to eat, I am the only one that sits at the table to eat, the rest of them go in the living room, sit in front of the TV to eat.. It was a rule at my house that we ALL sat at the table TOGETHER to eat!

When I said "NO!" It really meant "NO!"... end of discussion! That is how I was raised. If we DARED to agrue the point, we got slapped! Hay, I didn't get any brain damage or develop any complexes from being slapped.

We ate what was put on the table and was GLAD to have something to eat!

Fast Food? What was that? When my kids came along it was a real treat to go get fast food but that was only on long trips and there was no "what do you want to eat? what do you want to drink?" Everybody got the same and if you didn't like it, somebody else was glad to take yours and eat it. (so nobody ever refuse something that was put in front of them.)

Yep, we stayed outside ALL day playing with our friends and had a BALL! Run home for lunch? NEVER! We were having to much fun to stop just to go eat, and I use to have to threaten my own kids at night to get them to STOP playing and come in to eat, get a bath and go to bed!

So, we were all skinny as rails and so were my kids because FUN came before eating and we never stopped playing and having fun! Playing outside was far more fun than anything on TV ever could be and those were the days when TV taught you to love and respect, to be considerate of others and RESPECT your parents!

Ahhhhhhh, those were the days!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm still a youngin, but the bit about table manners hits home for me. We didn't have alot when I was a kid and my mom could throw together an awesome meal out of not much.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

*New Ajax~ Laundry Detergent!~( I'm stronger than DIRT!! )

Great Thread Wombat!! Those were the Days My Friend, We thought they'd never end~~~~Well, they never really ended, did they!!!!
    Rest in Peace Corinna~ Well Never Forget You~

I"VE BEEN FROSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy39
    *New Ajax~ Laundry Detergent!~( I'm stronger than DIRT!! )

Great Thread Wombat!! Those were the Days My Friend, We thought they'd never end~~~~Well, they never really ended, did they!!!!
    Nope, they sure didn't. Those were the days that shaped us, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I feel sorry for the kids of today, they just don't ever have the fun that we had.
    Wom

Great thread! I too am older than dirt. Those were the good old days.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh gosh, does this ever bring back memories. Older than dirt here also.

Those were the good old days for sure.

My favorite show was Howdy Doody and last December when I was in a store with one of my sons I saw this and just had to have it.

I'm still waiting for them to get a Clarabell doll in.

Just one question though. Why was this put into the Dog House?

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010