Thread: New food perhaps... ????

New food perhaps... ????

Hey all,

I need some food advice. Noba (16 months old) has hip displaysia, but has been doing great the last 7 months with no problems...

Anyway, since being a member of this board, I've noticed various kinds of dry food being talked about. I've had Noba on IAMS large breed puppy at the advice of the vet (which was 8 months ago)... and I'm wondering if I can get some advice as to what else may be a good option. He does great on it, despite the fact that he seems to poop 5+ times a day. He keeps weight on (currently is 50 lbs) and seems to like it, but there must be something better out there for dogs with joint issues... any suggestions??? I live near Seattle, so I can probably get access to just about any kind of food suggested... thanks so much!!!

There is alot of debate on " large breed" dog foods. There are several reasons for this debate. One is that the phosphorus and calcium is not as balenced in these foods more so than " regular food". Another debate was over feeding puppy food past 4 months, as puppy food is higher in protein causing the bones to grow even faster.
    I will withold my opinions of Iams. I did note in your post, the lameness showed up after you started the food-and that is all I will say.. ( bites tongue and ties up fingers on the keyboard...)
    Feeding the dog a better balenced, higher in quality nutrients, and then adding glycoscimine tablets at least 500 mg of that, I have found to work better. Using one of my current dogs as an example- while hottie doesnt have HD, he does have severe arthritus, and OCD. We can tell, even one day if I take him off glycosamine tablets, and obviously it helps. That and a good diet of balenced calcium including bone cartiledge has changed the original predictions of life span from 2-5 years old, to now he is 9 years old.
    There are several better foods you can feed. Pick one, but " adult dog" food. Second add the tablets. Call your vet if you like on the tablets, but these tablets are very common in treating HD short of surgery. I am more suspect of the food balence than encouraging surgery at this point. Try eagle holistic. Is along the same price range- and much better in quality ingredients.
    Here is a link for the tablets I am talking about. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2001+113677

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    There is alot of debate on " large breed" dog foods. There are several reasons for this debate. One is that the phosphorus and calcium is not as balenced in these foods more so than " regular food". Another debate was over feeding puppy food past 4 months, as puppy food is higher in protein causing the bones to grow even faster.
    I will withold my opinions of Iams. I did note in your post, the lameness showed up after you started the food-and that is all I will say.. ( bites tongue and ties up fingers on the keyboard...)
    Feeding the dog a better balenced, higher in quality nutrients, and then adding glycoscimine tablets at least 500 mg of that, I have found to work better. Using one of my current dogs as an example- while hottie doesnt have HD, he does have severe arthritus, and OCD. We can tell, even one day if I take him off glycosamine tablets, and obviously it helps. That and a good diet of balenced calcium including bone cartiledge has changed the original predictions of life span from 2-5 years old, to now he is 9 years old.
    There are several better foods you can feed. Pick one, but " adult dog" food. Second add the tablets. Call your vet if you like on the tablets, but these tablets are very common in treating HD short of surgery. I am more suspect of the food balence than encouraging surgery at this point. Try eagle holistic. Is along the same price range- and much better in quality ingredients.
    Here is a link for the tablets I am talking about. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2001+113677
    ^^^^^Amen, to what Michelle said^^^^^ get the dog OFF large breed puppy food.

Thanks for the advice. Noba is on 1000 mg of glucosamine a day and has been for months now. He's been on IAMS since he was diagnosed, before that he was on a different kind of puppy food, not large breed. What kind of food is good for joint issues?? I've heard Canidae and Chicken Soup are two good ones, but are they good for dogs with joint issues?