Thread: What I got in the mail

What I got in the mail

I got this email in reply to my craigslist add for an adult dog. Granted I wouldn't give them all this info seeing as its probably a scam. I'd just want to try and scam them back and get a free puppy to boot.

Dear Friend,

Compliment of the season I am very happy to reach you through this medium, I am Helen Powell a puppy dealer and saler, through my internet search I found out that you will like to play with puppy and you will like to have a puppy at home, so I decided contact you through this medium wanting to know if you will need any puppy so I can send it to you immediately as I am sending to so many people all over the country.
    Please send your information stated below when replying so I can know were you come from and were to send the puppy to during shipping.

Full Name: ____________________________
    Address: _____________________________
    Phone number: ______________ (OR) Fax: _______________
    Sex: _________________
    Marital Status: ______________________

I will wait to here from you, if you need any information you can contact me through may number 234-8032678653. Thank you for your patronage.

Email: [email protected]
    Regards,
    Mrs. Helen Powell,
    God Bless You.
    Last edited by IRescue452; 02-27-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Obviously a scam. The phone number actually comes back to a phone in Nigeria (or so I am assuming because it has the country code 234).

Oh, I though SC. Wasn't paying attention to the country code. Either way it is quite obviously a scam. I think they want to assume my identity. As long as they assume my debt I might just let them, lol.

I also received a very sad reply about an 8 year old shepherd mix looking for a home. The owner doesn't think the dog is adjusting to a recent move as well as she had hoped. I emailed her back saying that she sounded like the perfect home for her dog the way she described, and its not like being rehomed is going to make the dog less stressed. Its really bigger and older than what my mom is looking for, though I'd love to adopt an older dog, I'm not in a position to take on another dog of my own right now.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Surely you're joking about responding to this email. Type puppy scams into any search engine and you'll have your answers.

Even if it were free, including shipping, why would any responsible, reasonably intelligent person have a puppy shipped sight unseen from a complete stranger halfway across the world?

The purchase price for any animal is just the tip of the iceberg. It costs just as much to raise a free puppy as it does any other.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Oh I replied, asking what breeds they have, what their rates are, how they ship, and why they want to know my occupation and marital status. This is just my "stranger" email I give out on websites with no info attached. No harm in having a little fun with these people and seeing how far they take it.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Oh I replied, asking what breeds they have, what their rates are, how they ship, and why they want to know my occupation and marital status. This is just my "stranger" email I give out on websites with no info attached. No harm in having a little fun with these people and seeing how far they take it.
    Oh, I get it! Sort of a "The Devil made me do it" response!

In that case, let us know what they have to say.

By the way, there is a federal website where these things are supposed to be reported.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!