Thread: Help!

Help!

I know I should probably be posting this in Dog Health, but I figured I'd get more help and replies here...This week we're dog-sitting my cousins dog while they're away on vacation. Her name's Prissy, she's a poodle and pretty old. She was kind of down for a while...her owner's thought that she sensed they were leaving, but then she was doing better. Now she won't eat at all. We've offered her the things she really likes as well as her regular dog food...she's also been throwing up. It's doubtful that mom will take her to the vet's,(unless necessary or with permission from her owners) but do you think it's just old age or missing her family? Mom has been staying longer than usual since Prissy knows me more and figured knowing me would perk her up...but so far, nothings working. I tried to get her to eat for me but she just won't do it. Any idea's on what to do?? Please help!

Alyssa

I say take her to the vet,but that's me and when Lindsey gets a cold Itake her to the vet.So I say take her to the vet.Good luck!
    Phylicia

please take her to the vet....you won't want to live with the guilt if you don't....she needs to be checked immediatley...especially if she has advanced age
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

If she's been throwing up, you should take her to the vet. You don't want her to get dehydrated.

I agree with everyone, you will need to take him to the vet right away before it gets any worse. good luck.

I agree, take her to the vet! At least call and let the vet know what is going on. Try cooking hamburger and mixing it with rice to see if she will eat. Is she drinking? Keep us posted, please.

I asked mom about the vet's and she said she didn't know, but I think Prissy should go to the vet. She's the sweetest little dog and loves kids. All the lights in my cousins house are heat lamps...they left the air conditioner on, but it was still really hot in their house. (we turned out all the light in their house except one that isn't a heat lamp...we also left the tv on to provide some light) I don't think she eats while we're gone...I don't think she's drinking either. I'll try to get mom to call our cousins and ask about the vet.

Thanks for the help,
    Alyssa

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    Try cooking hamburger and mixing it with rice to see if she will eat. Is she drinking?

We tried cooking hamburger, but she wouldn't eat...not even from me, I don't think she's drinking...I'm not sure either.

If she is not drinking you have to get her to the vets. With her throwing up and not eating or drinking she could be dehydrated. The vet will be able to give her fluids via IV. Don't hesitate! As I stated before, at least call the vet and let them know what is going on.

Another vote here for getting her to the vet's. I wouldn't have been too worried about the non-eating part but if she can't keep things down and isn't drinking that is a red flag to me.

I once dogsat for a neighbor's dog (in my home) who didn't eat for the first three days they were gone. She used to sit at the front door and wait for them to come home. She was drinking, though, and wasn't sick but even so I was so worried.

I agree that since this is sort of a "senior" dog she may not have the reserves a young pup might have to draw on, and this could be serious. Please keep us posted.

I have to agree with everyone else..if she is not eating and esp. if she is not drinking she definately should see a vet. My parents oldest dog, is a 12 1/2 yr old poodle mix and she doesn't always eat well when they are gone, but she should at least be drinking water.

12. Once when I was in high school my parents went on a short vacation and left me at home (those were diferent times I guess.) Anyway, my mother's dog wouldn't eat and her nose was either hot or cold (it has been a LONG while ago), she was lethargic. I took her to the vet and it was just a "missing mom" thing but I felt so much better once I knew for sure! I still remember how worried I was.

I vote for "take her to the vet!"

Well, thanks again you guys!...today I went and spent the whole day with her by myself. She only got a couple of laps of water just once while I was there. I got her to eat some, but not much at all, I hope she's drinking while I'm gone, but she seemed more relaxed and at home(even though she's at her home)when I was there. She's always been a picky eater...but lately she hasn't been eating at all. She ate fairly good this morning. Mom went and got that 1$ McDonalds breakfast and gave her everything but the sausage...she figured that would be to spicey. Hope to report more good news soon...

Alyssa