Thread: Help me!!Quick!

Help me!!Quick!

My Dalmtion molly just had babies last night in the tank with all my other dalmation mollies. What should I do before they get eaten? I think there are only about three that I can see. Does that mean the rest got eaten? I just got this tank yesterday and I don't know anything about breeding fish. Thanks for your help!!!
    Should I try to take out the babies??

Leave the babies until you have more experience with fish, the molly will have more babies, maybe every few weeks. Do you know how to tell male and female mollies apart?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by jayfaykay1022
    My Dalmtion molly just had babies last night in the tank with all my other dalmation mollies. What should I do before they get eaten? I think there are only about three that I can see. Does that mean the rest got eaten? I just got this tank yesterday and I don't know anything about breeding fish. Thanks for your help!!!
    Should I try to take out the babies??
    Do you have one of those "small fry" tanks that mounts on the inside of the tank? They have both screen ones ( better as the water can circulate with the tank, or even the plastic ones. YOu should be able to get this at any petsmart, petco, or good petstore that has fish products.

Yes, I know how to tell boys and girls apart. I have 2 boys and 3 girls.

You could carefully take the babies out and put them in a tank that is just for them. I have a tank set up just for the babies and when I see a baby in the 55 gallon, I use a cup to get it out instead of a net. It is so small that it would either go right through the net or I wouild lose it cause it would stick to the net, so using a cup for me insures that it doesn't get hurt or touched by anything.

You could read up on what they should eat, usually tropical fish will eat the liquid or power food for tropical fry and you can get it for a cheap price at wal-mart or a petstore. But if there is only three that you can see, then alot of them have probably already been aten. Also my fish had eggs so it was easier to get them into another tank too, I just took the plants that had lots of eggs on them and put them into the baby tank to hatch

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

I used a small fry plastic tank when my fish had babies. I was able to see them so well! I found that easier than setting up an entire new tank, even a small 10 gallon (which I had in teh cellar). I bought the fry tank at PetCo.