Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Obesity Rant

Childhood Obesity Rant

OK, I am so tired of seeing young, young children severely overweight.

I was in a restaurant and saw a child that could have been no more then 3, and she was absolutely enormous. My first thought was that she must have some sort of illness. Then her food came. She had an adults portion of chicken nuggets and french fries. There was a small "salad", which was really just a few slices of cucumber and tomato, which her mother promptly took off her plate.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? Is it pure laziness on the parents part? Or do they not realize the damage they are doing to their child?

That is so sad. I too wonder if the parents honestly think they are doing anything wrong.

It also saddens me when I go to high school sporting events and seeing these 6/7/8th graders who are SO tinny, it is disgusting. They look like they are going to break.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

I know I'm friends with this one girl who is like half the size of me. She was complaining the other day about how fat she was!!!!! I'm not fat and she's HALF THE SIZE OF ME!!!!!! I yelled at her and she kind of shut up but still she looks like shes going to be annorexic soon!!!
    I'm A Proud Sister of TWO Pugs

It's really sad my best friend is overweight and she needs seatbelt extenders. She joined a curves weight loss program but still it's really sad.
    I'm A Proud Sister of TWO Pugs

Quote Originally Posted by jackie

I was in a restaurant and saw a child that could have been no more then 3, and she was absolutely enormous. My first thought was that she must have some sort of illness. Then her food came. She had an adults portion of chicken nuggets and french fries. There was a small "salad", which was really just a few slices of cucumber and tomato, which her mother promptly took off her plate.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? Is it pure laziness on the parents part? Or do they not realize the damage they are doing to their child?
    This is a huge (pardon the pun) problem in the US. It didn't happen that much in my generation, but kids nowadays eat to much junk food. It is
    sad and unhealthy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    This is a huge (pardon the pun) problem in the US. It didn't happen that much in my generation, but kids nowadays eat to much junk food. It is
    sad and unhealthy.

I heard on a TV commercial about childhood obesity (it was a foundation for it or something like that) that the vegetable most provided for kids is the french fry. not much a vegetable at all but in most cases it is the only one they get.

and not only is it that they eat too much junk food but they also sit on their butts all day playing video games and watching tv. I mean I played my fair share of video games when I was a kid but my favourite was a track and field game. You had to have this special pad and you actually had to do all the running and movements yourself to make your player move. They had the 500 M dash, hurdles, long jump, triple jump... etc etc. That game was so much fun. but I can also remember spending most of my time out riding my bike or going to the park with friends. now a days parents just plop them in front of a video game or the TV so they don't have to do anything with them.

it is very sad.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    It is pretty sad. It seems there are a LOT of huge people in my school. But then again... they eat XL poutines with extra everything on it everyday at lunch. Then again, as also stated, there are a lot of really skinny kids at my school. However, there are very few "just right" kids. The big kids think they are fine, because their mommies tell them so, and the little kids think they're fat because they're been brainwashed by the media.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

I think parents that allow their children to be obese are obviously hurting their children, but I'm sure they don't see it that way. It's probably part of how the parents eat and live- I'm sure most obese youngsters don't come from fit parents. Parents need to be more of an example to their children, too, and live healthier.

Some people should stop being so darn lazy these days, including me!

I feel dumb saying this but even tho I weigh only 101 pounds I wanna get to 97.

It would just make me feel better cause I have not gone outdoors all winter very much so it makes me feel kinda weird lol, I usualy weigh 98 but I don't look realy realy skinny .. just a normal thin.

I agree. It urks me a lot to see these severely overweight kids and most of the time, they are like 6 or 7 years old. It's sad how many problems they are probably going to have in the future. Most of the time, it's the parents fault. I think we need to educate the parents more than the children.

And then on an entirely different note, there are some kids that are SUPER skinny and anorexic and stuff. That's so sad to see these girls think they are fat when they are really really skinny.

And as Michelle said, they're are mostly super skinny, or really overweight kids at school and hardly any 'normal' kids. Some may think I'm skinny, but I eat like a horse, it's just my metabolism is super fast. I've been called anorexic and it hurts and trust me, I am trying to gain weight!
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie

Its highly upsetting Jackie- I agree..
    My daughter was always thin- and it was like- " does she eat enough?".. duh nooooooooo- she is growing at a 100 miles an hour..
    They have stated several times, if heavy as a child- they will be as an adult. I am not sure totally if that is true- but it does seem to follow a pattern later in life.

What truley bothers me the most is the fact that everytime my son turns on the TV and all he sees are diet ads! I have to tell you it makes me so mad! My son is 7yrs old and weighs all of 50lbs, and everyday, all i hear is..."mom i need to diet, I am fat!" It just makes me sick! The kid is skinny. but all he sees, is all this crap about losing weight, so he feels that is what he needs to do! Drives me insane.

I understand that there are tons of Overweight people out there, but what is suppossed to be normal, skinny enough to see ribs?? I say to each their own! Just dont tryto push it off on me or my kids!
    Look at him! does he look fat to you??
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    I mean I played my fair share of video games when I was a kid but my favourite was a track and field game. You had to have this special pad and you actually had to do all the running and movements yourself to make your player move. They had the 500 M dash, hurdles, long jump, triple jump... etc etc. That game was so much fun. but I can also remember spending most of my time out riding my bike or going to the park with friends.
    I LOVED that game! My friends and I had a blast playing that. I, too, was gone all day bike riding and swimming. We'd ride our bikes all the way across town to the big community pool. However, times have changed. Kids can no longer be out like that as it's so unsafe. I think that is sad

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I see some of both extremes. I've seen very heavy young children, which is indeed terribly sad. Children learn from their eating habits from their parents, and we all know bad habits are hard to break. Very irresponsible.

OTOH, I cannot count the number of my sixteen year old step-daughters friends who are grossly underweight, bulimic, anorexic, popping pills to lose weight, etc. That makes me just as sick ... that no one taught these girls that their beauty is natural, and so much more about who you are inside than what you weight.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I know I followed in my father's "foodsteps". I have made long-term change, but I have to always be aware of that "following" thing.

I have seen lingerie ads in magazines - you know, the stuff that is made for 'real women's bodies'? All different sizes and shapes in that ad. Very positive.

Plus, I believe in Spain, and Italy, models have to have a minimum BMI of 18.5? No more anorexic stuff!

There are positive changes...let's hope they continue to grow!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda