Thread: Opinions please!

Opinions please!

this is a cage/coffee table that I designed, its an idea that has floated around in my head for a while, something I wanted to have in my own home when I moved out. but out current coffe table is falling part and Kari needs a new cage, so I put the design down on paper and showed it to my mom, she thought is was a great idea, and I was hoping to get other people opnions of the it.

the encloser would be barred, as it provived good airflow, its safe, and it looks better then mesh lol. the litter box would be in the form of a drawer to make for easy cleaning. the base would be wood, but a peice of sheet metal would be attached to the top for easy cleaning and to protect the wood. there would be a raised lip all around it to keep in litter. the top would be wood in my case but could just as easily be glass if that suited someones home better, and it would be hinged for full cage access, there would be a second level, carpeted with a ramp, this would be set over the litter box, and there would be a door built into the side for the rabbits use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

seems functional, and Oslo's cage gets used as another surface to pile junk unintentionally anyway so I'd definetly use it.

Niño & Eliza

Gee, I am glad you mentioned rabbits at the end of that description, I was thinking cat! (MY bias, haivng 7 of them, that is what comes to mind first for me.) And my concern was, how high will this "coffee table" BE?!

I don't know how much clearance you would need for a rabbit. Have you put in some measurements to see how high the top of the table would be? This may work better as an end table than as a coffee table, if you find the height won't work.

I've noticed that many of the cat litter containers are now being designed to do double duty, so you are right up there with the current styles. Some are being built "under" a plant pot, for a large house plant or a fake tree.

Don't know much about rabbits. If this were for a cat, you would more likely want the end where the ltiter box is placed to be solid wood - hidden from sight, giving the at privacy. The cat wouldn't use it out in the open.

Let us know when you have a model!

That is really cool. Great idea. You might want to patent it before someone else builds one.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

That's really, really neat, Shayna!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

don't know how much clearance you would need for a rabbit. Have you put in some measurements to see how high the top of the table would be? This may work better as an end table than as a coffee table, if you find the height won't work.
    the lower level would only be slightly higher then your average coffee table, its doesnt need to much clearence, it will already be quite a bit higher then a petstore rabbit cage lol. I cant imagine it working at an end table, its too long, its designed as a coffee table to provide maximum size for the rabbit
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

I think it looks Great!
    Good Job!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

thanks!
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

looks interesting. Here's a site I just found to help. Just adjust the sizes and design for a bunny
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/

I have known about C&C cages for around 6 years, its the only kind of cage we had for our guinea pigs, and Kari's current pen has a C&C extension. I dont want a C&C design for this cage at all, I want this to be something you could find in a petstore as well as a furniture store, something that could seen be in the living room of a higher end home that is part of the decore not an eyesore, yet large enugh and completly safe enugh for the rabbit.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

okay but Pua has a sheet metal tray in her cage and it is very very noisy. If it's perfectly flat it might be okay but will probably get bent over time.

Jupiter was in Pua's cage before Pua finaly came to fill it. It is two dog Xpens on top of each other and with metal shelvings that I put wood on for him while he was in there. He loves getting up high. Someone else I know built one like that but build a nice frame around it. You could get extra pannels so make it just about any way you want. That would take care of the cage bars and have doors built in.