Thread: Treating eye infections from URI

Treating eye infections from URI

They have antibiotic cream for the eye im using. They have been on it over 4 days now and still no improvment. I dont expect it to be gone at this time, but maybe a little better yet its not. The vet did not examine them, I just picked up the cream. Im a little concerned since they have had the infection for awhile. They were on oral antibotics before this. The eyes are always stuck shut, its very hard to get them open for the goo, and always sealed back up soon after. The inside is very swollen and *open* for the eye is half a crack and the inner eyelid in the corner is almost always half way across the eye and swollen also. Is there anything at all that can be done? I hope they dont end up blind or something. The vet isnt very technical and I cant afford to go to a real, normal vet who will charge me. Mostly you just pay for the meds and not for looking at them where I go. How often do you normally use the cream also? He didnt tell me and I have been giving it to them probably about 4x a day. (if you dont know they are just 3 weeks)

Emily with Snow, Cowgirl, and Chunky

when I took my two Rescues in for a URI and eye infection, the vet gave them each an antibiotic shot, and had them on Amoxicillan 3 times a day. The eye infections started clearing up immediately, which was a great relief, as Mochas eyelids were so swollen that they were flipping up over her eye.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

When I was taking care of the outdoor cats that Coco Puff came from, all the kittens had eyes like that, including him. And Mom took off w/them just as I had begun using the eye ointment. Like you, I was worried that they'd go blind and Dr. Lee told me not to worry, that Mom was taking care of them, that something in her saliva as she cleans them will help their eyes to heal. Sho 'nuf, she brought them back a couple of weeks later, eyes all healed. So do what you've been doing and try not to worry too much.

Blessings,
    Mary

Maybe you need to have the vet SEE both of them!!! It seems about time, this is too long to see NO improvement with a treatment. When I found Chestnut, he was a tiny little one pound bag of bones with lots of ailments including gooey eyes. In 2 days his eyes cleared up! That was 8 years ago, so I have no clue what it was I was using. The vet gave him a look over and, as I said, he had LOTS of issues and lots of shots, pills, creams and gels for 3 or 4 weeks.

The eye infection may NOT be related to the URI, it may be something else.

Best wishes for these little ones!
    Sandra

phesina

PM this lady - she is in Ann Arbor. Is there a vet school anywhere near you?

I think she is a vet tech too - I could be wrong - but PM her and see what she says!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by emilysgk
    The vet did not examine them, I just picked up the cream. The vet isnt very technical and I cant afford to go to a real, normal vet who will charge me. Mostly you just pay for the meds and not for looking at them where I go. How often do you normally use the cream also? He didnt tell me.

Honestly I don't know what kind of "vet" you are going to but I would SERIOUSLY doubt about his practice if he's dispensing meds without seeing the animal without even telling you how to use the medicine properly!! Doesn't matter whether he's 'cheap' or not, it doens't sound like good business to me! Is this "vet" even licensed??? Does he have an actual building or is he doing this out of his home???

If I'm not much mistaken isn't this the same "vet" that gave fluids to a kitten that had a urinary blockage and you said he didn't even look the kitten over very much before hand????

According to what I found in Michigan Veterinary law...

RECOMMENDED MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR COMPANION ANIMAL VETERINARY PRACTICES
    APPROVED BY MVMA BOARD OF DIRECTORS ON 12/1/04

III. REQUIREMENTS FOR USING ANIMAL HEALTH PRODUCTS

A. Labeling

(1) Health products dispensed in the manufacturer’s original container shall be accompanied by the original instructions or labeling and must be affixed with a label that includes all of the following information:

(a) Date the drug was dispensed.
    (b) Name of the patient.
    (c) Name of the client.
    (d) Complete instructions for use of the drug.
    (e) Name of the drug.
    (f) Strength for unit dose.
    (g) Quantity dispensed.
    (h) Expiration date of the drug, when appropriate.
    (i) Veterinarian’s name or clinic’s name, telephone number, and any appropriate precautionary statements, such as “keep out of reach of children.”
    (j) Withholding time or other needed warnings.

(2) Health products dispensed in other than the manufacturer’s original container shall be:

(a) Equipped with a child-safe lock mechanism, if appropriate.
    (b) Affixed with the veterinarian's label that includes all information under (1).

(3) Over-the-counter drugs, that are dispensed to be used in an extra-label manner, shall be subject to all requirements in A1.

B. PRESCRIBING AND DISPENSING

(1) Prescription drugs or over-the-counter drugs to be used in an extra-label manner shall not be prescribed or dispensed unless a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship exists.

(2) Veterinarians must honor a client’s request for a written prescription in lieu of dispensing.

(3) The prescribing of over-the-counter drugs to be used in an extra-label manner for the temporary alleviation of symptoms until a veterinarian-client-patient relationship can be established shall not be considered a violation of (B1).

(4) For these sections, a veterinarian-client-patient relationship for a companion animal shall exist only if the veterinarian has examined the companion animal within the previous twelve months. Some medical conditions and/or drug uses may require more frequent examinations and/or patient monitoring.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

First off, for Catlady... Yes he is a real vet, no he dont do this from his home. His clinic is small, and its considered just that, not a full hospital. He does all various routine and diseases that are easily treatable and some surgery, he does spay/neuter, minor broken bone repairs, c-sections ect.. anything major he will refer you to another vet. I have seen this many times that someone has a problem that he simply dont handle at his clinic. His practice is a bit unconenventional and old fashioned, he does house calls for farm situations also. He has maybe a dozen cats that live in his clinic also, all rescued with a various reasons. I have seen him save a lot of animals, several personaly. We put a young CKCS with cancer into remission for about 9 months, when I got the dog, he had little time left, a puppy hand raised got parv followed by distemper, all before 12 weeks of age, another dog with severe neurologic disorder/spinal damage... there are many. Im not defending and saying that if I had the money I would not go to a normal vet, but he does pretty well. I probably would not have any babies left otherwise, I could not go to someone else now. Our financial situation is very bad right now.

On to the babies... I did some research last night and everything seems in order actually. Since the eye infection is from the URI (these two barely got any nasal symptoms, it went to the eye) its viral, probably herpes, and you cannot expect the eye cream to clear it right up, only lessen anything secondary.

Then to update, I do have some good news. The last two applications the eyes have stayed open! The reddness has let up a little and some swelling has gone down also. It makes sense since its probably been around a week since they first developed eye symptoms. Hopefully this trend continues and it stays away. I know reinfection is quite common when fighting this off.

Thank you everyone.

Yay! Glad to hear that they're no longer cyclops! You're doing a great job!

Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Yay! Glad to hear that they're no longer cyclops! You're doing a great job!

Blessings,
    Mary
    So funny you wrote this! My husband says Cowgirl is an alien... Between the toes and the one eye, sure is full of characer. But she is SO sweet, she will curl up in your hand and look into your face, paw at you a little and drift off the sleep. Mamas girl is more fiesty and she bites a lot, but more than anything im sure that just the teething... hopefully. lol So far they still have eyes today! Im so happy and excited that an end may be in sight.

I'm so glad you're feeling better about all of this. They sure are cuties and it's a good thing I don't live nearby or I'd be at your house, pestering you every day.

Blessings,
    Mary

Hi Candace, I just read Emily's PM and the kittens' eyes thread, and I sent her a reply. I suggested the vet school at Michigan State University in East Lansing, if she's anywhere near there.

MSU has the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, which offers all kinds of specialty services including Ophthalmology. More information is available at http://cvm.msu.edu/vth/index.htm

I'm not a vet or vet tech. I work some with a no-kill shelter in Ann Arbor, the Mosaic Feline Refuge, and I pet-sit some.

I was SO glad to learn that the kittens' eyes are doing a bit better! It's about time for some good news after so much struggle and sadness.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    phesina

PM this lady - she is in Ann Arbor. Is there a vet school anywhere near you?

I think she is a vet tech too - I could be wrong - but PM her and see what she says!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by emilysgk
    First off, for Catlady... Yes he is a real vet, no he dont do this from his home. His clinic is small, and its considered just that, not a full hospital. He does all various routine and diseases that are easily treatable and some surgery, he does spay/neuter, minor broken bone repairs, c-sections ect.. anything major he will refer you to another vet. I have seen this many times that someone has a problem that he simply dont handle at his clinic. His practice is a bit unconenventional and old fashioned, he does house calls for farm situations also. He has maybe a dozen cats that live in his clinic also, all rescued with a various reasons. I have seen him save a lot of animals, several personaly. We put a young CKCS with cancer into remission for about 9 months, when I got the dog, he had little time left, a puppy hand raised got parv followed by distemper, all before 12 weeks of age, another dog with severe neurologic disorder/spinal damage... there are many. Im not defending and saying that if I had the money I would not go to a normal vet, but he does pretty well. I probably would not have any babies left otherwise, I could not go to someone else now. Our financial situation is very bad right now.

What I was questioning was based on several things...

1) You said that he did not really examine the kitten closely that had the bladder problem before giving it fluids.

2) He gave you medication without seeing the other kittens.

3) The eye medication apparently did not have any kind of dispensing instructions on it.

I'm not saying that he can't be a good vet just because he's a small rural one. I'm just saying that ANY vet (even from a big fancy hospital) that is doing those things just isn't cool. Even a small town, old fashioned vet should be able to do those 3 things correctly.

I suppose if you're happy with your results for the price that's your option and more power to you, but for myself personally, I couldn't trust a vet that didn't do a thorough exam, and dispensed meds without instructions on them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022