Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: beer question

beer question

i rarely drink beer. the last time i can recall was last fall with a pizza, killian red. the time before that was last summer after cutting the grass, and in celebration i had a foster lager. at the local yuppie grocery a dispaly of single bottle beers caught my eye, and to go with the bruschetta i bought a samuel adams winter ale. it was enjoyable. my question is this, whats the difference between lager, winter ale and beer? i'll plan ahead for spring grass cutting based on the answers i get. thanks joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Sorry cant help ya! I hate beer, just not tasty to me.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I think the difference is the different wheats and grains they use to make them, im not much of a ale person usually or even beer but I do drink it sometimes, I prefer a blue moon witha slice of orange when it comes to beer myself.

They make beer with wheats and grains!??!
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

This explains the ral difference, but not sure if it realy helps!

Beers fall into two broad categories: Those that are produced by top-fermenting yeasts (ales) and those that are made with bottom-fermenting yeasts (lagers). There are hybrids, but that's another discussion.

Ales came first, when brewers weren't exactly sure what role yeast played. Because ales were unstable, brewing ceased in warm weather and brewers would store reserves in as cool or cold an environment as they could find. Brewers storing their beer in very cold Alpine caves found that their beer was more stable because the yeast had sunk to the bottom.

We won't go into the evolution of this yeast, but this storage (lagerung in German) naturally selected bottom-fermenting yeasts. Operating at colder temperatures these yeasts worked slower, producing beer more attenuated, cleaner, rounder and less fruity than ales. Fermentation took one to three months.

Ales include everything with ale in the name (pale ale, amber ale, etc.), porters, stouts, Belgian specialty beers, wheat beers and many German specialty beers. They generally have a more robust taste, are more complex and are best consumed cool (50F or a bit warmer) rather than cold.

Lagers include pilseners, bocks and dopplebocks, Maerzens/Oktoberfests, Dortmunders and a few other styles found mostly in Germany. They are best consumed at a cooler temperature than lagers, although anything served at less than 38F will lose most of its flavor.

American variations on the pilsener style dominate the U.S. beer landscape, but unlike 20 years ago there are plenty of other choices today. Writing in the first edition of his "The Pocket Guide to Beer" in 1982 (the current edition is No. 8), Michael Jackson described ales and lagers as the "red wines" and "white wines" of the beer world. He concluded: "The popularity of the original pilsener was well deserved, but its renown is ill served by the many brewers in different parts of the world who have used indifferent imitations to try to create a single international beer style at the expense of more characterful regional specialties. It is as though the whole world were to drink Rhine wines and forget about the very existence of Burgundy or Bordeaux. The 'whites' of the beer world are more stable and consistent, but the top-fermenting yeasts endow the 'reds' with great personality."
    http://www.realbeer.com/library/beer...ak20001130.php
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    They make beer with wheats and grains!??!

Yeah im pretty sure, and beer also has alot of calories in it

beer is bleh (except for some home made stuff - brewed in the bathtub)....Hard Cider's are the way to go (Woodchuck Amber)

yes they are made from wheats and grains I believe....my cousin makes his from a choclate barley

There's a lot that makes a beer. Mostly it is classified on how it is fermented and what is used in the blend. Mostly they use barely, but rice, wheat, and corn are also used. There's some other stuff used mattering on location as well. A lot of flavor comes from how it is fermented with hops, water, and yeast. Here's a link that describes it well Wiwpedia - Beer .

Personally I love Black & Tans. It's a mix of bass light ale and Guinness dark ale. Can also be used with other light/dark ales. But I also enjoy my Cerveza's with lime, or a nice lager. Oh heck, I love most beer.

I have tried several different beers & end up choaking the sip down & trying not to puke, its horrid IMO. I'm into short, pure (Vodka) & mixed (Liquid Coke).. No juices as I'm allergic to most.

I am a beer snob and an Ale girl for the most part! Can't drink the mass produced junk like Bud and Molson's. Well, I can, but given a choice I won't. I like honey brown ales, Sleeman's in particular. We have a great little brewery up here. Their slogan is "beer worth freezing for" and it's true! My favorite is Cranberry Wheat Ale, made with wild Yukon cranberries! Delicious! I just bought a box of their newest flavor.."Discovery Ale", made with Fireweed flavored honey!

Stuart makes his own beer. There are many, many methods and recipes. He uses lots of hops, barley, wheat, berries and even chocolate in one of his recipes
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Stuart makes his own beer.
    There are many, many methods and recipes ...
    OMG!

And all these years I thunk "The Shop" was a place he fixed stuff ...

Nebber Knew it was his Lil Brewery in the Snow!
    No Wonder he an Dad hang out in The Shop ...

SUMbuddie has to *TASTE TEST* the product!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    OMG!

And all these years I thunk "The Shop" was a place he fixed stuff ...

Nebber Knew it was his Lil Brewery in the Snow!
    No Wonder he an Dad hang out in The Shop ...

SUMbuddie has to *TASTE TEST* the product!

The brewery only takes up one corner of the shop. He does lots of other stuff out there too! If the zoning bylaw had allowed a second storey, I don't think he'd come to the house very often though!

Muskwa is the taster! He always licks the keg spout!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Muskwa is the taster! He always licks the keg spout!
    LOL! Is there a"designated sled dog" back-up for the drunken husky?

Bleck. Don't like beer at all. Give me a White Russian, tastes like chocolate milk.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I am a beer snob and an Ale girl for the most part! Can't drink the mass produced junk like Bud and Molson's. Well, I can, but given a choice I won't. I like honey brown ales, Sleeman's in particular. We have a great little brewery up here. Their slogan is "beer worth freezing for" and it's true! My favorite is Cranberry Wheat Ale, made with wild Yukon cranberries! Delicious! I just bought a box of their newest flavor.."Discovery Ale", made with Fireweed flavored honey!

Stuart makes his own beer. There are many, many methods and recipes. He uses lots of hops, barley, wheat, berries and even chocolate in one of his recipes
    Is it allowed to ship some of that good stuff to the US?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06