Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help my cat!

Please help my cat!

Marley is two years old. We brought him to the vet last Wednesday night because he showed signs of urinary blockage. He was not blocked, but the vet found strutive crystals in his urine.

She prescribed Hills CD-S canned food. He would not eat it at all. She then tried him on Hills SD canned food. He only eats a small amount and walks away.

I am beside myself with worry. Is there anything I can do to make this food more palatable for him? Hs anyone had experiences with this problem and these foods before?

Please help. Marley, his daddy, and I really need it.

Thanks,
    AuthorDiva

When our cats got urine crystals, our vet told us (although I'm sure science diet would be angry) that if you take the ingredients on the side of the bag, go to a regular pet store and find other foods with the same ingredients (making sure, in particular, to find low ash content) they would be fine. Right now my mom feeds them Purina's brand for urine problems and they are all doing great. I don't know how many vets actually come out and tell people this because Science Diet is sold in vet's offices (up here anyway). I would try something else if it were me - maybe he just doesn't like the taste.

Good luck

Smokey had a blockage. We thought that Snowball (dog) broke his hind leg (smokey). It was very uncomfortable watching him looking helpless.

3 of my male cats had urinary tract infection off and on over the years. I had them on Special Care Dry food and they had no problems. I have them on the hairball treatment right now with still no return of the infection. It's a dry food though. I do give them a spoonful of canned twice a day too. None of mine would touch Science Diet and tried to bury it. Good luck!

Welcome to Pet Talk Authordiva. I can't help you out at all, but I believe Fister's Mum, Randi, should be able to help you out some here. If your Vet can't suggest anything else besides Science Diet, maybe go to Petco or Petsmart or any pet store and ask them. If you get, say, the manager of the store or somebody who is a little more knowledgeable, they might be able to suggest something, then you can check with your vet to make sure it's ok for poor little Marley. Also, maybe you could do a search on the internet to get some more ideas.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Please keep us up to date on how Marley is doing, and remember, pictures, pictures, pictures!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I'll be back after dinner to give you some advise. Our cat had the same problem a few times. Until then, search for Fister and you'll find the threads on the problem!

Will be back in half an hour! Don't panic!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi !!

hey I would say , the best person in this matter to give you excellent advise , is Randi !!! Her cat Fister has the same problem !!
    Like she says : do not panic !!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Thanks so much, guys. Randi, I will wait for your advice from Fister's experience!

First, welcome to PT!

I'm glad you've already been to a vet! It doesn't sound as if it has become really bad yet, but it can, and in that case you have to act quickly, because if he's blocked it can become fatal within one or two days. As I said, Fister has had the same problem, but he's back to normal now!

The first time, Fister had a cahteter put up and was flushed through, he then had some antibiotica and was only allowed to have Hills Prescription diet S/D food, luckily he liked the dry version but would not touch the canned food. We can only buy this at the vet. There's also one called Specific FSD which works the same way. It is supposed to dissolve the stones, but he didn't care much for that. Recently, out vet got a new one from Royal Canin called Urinary programme LP30. They all have a low quantity of Ash, Calcium and Magnesium, which are VERY important! Fister definately prefers Hills (dry food) to the others.
    Don't give him ANY other food, (I know it's hard) but take him to the vet again in a few days if he still has problems!

It's friday, so you should find out whether you can get any of these (we can not get them in ordinary pet shops in Denmark) before your vet close down for the weekend! It's so important!!

Also, see if you can make him drink as much as possible (WATER), this should also help a lot.

You're welcome to contact me by PM also, if there's anything you want to ask!

Good luck!! Fingers and paws crossed here!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Poor Marley...

I can't offer advice other than to listen to what the othes have said. They really know what they are talking about. This site is such a great asset to people who lives with animals. Welcome by the way!!

Let us know how he is doing...

Randi: I loved this sentence, thank you for making my Friday (in the office all by myself...I know...boohoo! ) fun! You made me giggle...
    make him drink as much as possible (WATER),
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I can't offer any advice either but I do hope that you'll be able to find a food that Marley will eat so that he can get better. I also want to welcome you to Pet Talk. The people here will be a great help to you. Good luck and please keep us posted.

How is Marley doing?

Any progress? I hope he is better! If not, you should take him to the vet.

Keep us updated, please!

yes please do.

RIP Stormy
    RIP Sky

Here's Marley's weekend update:

I picked up the Hill's S/D dry food from my vet on Friday, as Marley was avoiding the canned at all costs. He's been eating the dry, but not a lot. He's been drinking his water as well.

I've been keeping a close eye on him while he's in the litterbox, and it appears as if he is going okay. He's still licking the genital area a lot, which concerns me. However, as long as he is eating, drinking, and urinating, I'll just keep watching.

My husband is going to call the vet this morning to see if she has any further recommendations about feeding. She had mentioned a Eukanuba brand food that we might be able to try. I would just like to see him eating more than he is right now.

I'm glad to hear the news! If he's not skinny, I don't think you have to worrry about him not eating so much. You can get a little set to take a test of his urine - the vet probably has it, then you just have to have the vet examine it. Hope he keeps eating and drinking!