Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Science Diet?

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Have you ever checked out the "Ignore List" on your User CP? It's a handy, "Serenity Now!" option!

Yep - it certainly is handy, thanks for pointing that out, PAT! However, it doesn't excuse the constant drama.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I like ignore ...I just tested it out...it works...it really works!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Its not funny... OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NEVER HAD a dog DIE of bloat.. And as far as lady human- I cant see his posts as they are blocked on ignore.. This is the only way I can see them..
    How DARE you make fun of a terrible situation KILLING DOGS across the us-- I find your joke and agreement horrid!!!!
    Holy Cow!! Who is making fun of a dog dieing from bloat? Swelling pipes have nothing to do with any animals with bloat or anything else referring to animals.

Excuse me bzm; how do you know exactly what anyone on this board has gone through? Seriously, you seem to be a bit out of control. Your BP could be sky high from all this stress. Please, calm down.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah
    Holy Cow!! Who is making fun of a dog dieing from bloat? Swelling pipes have nothing to do with any animals with bloat or anything else referring to animals.

Excuse me bzm; how do you know exactly what anyone on this board has gone through? Seriously, you seem to be a bit out of control. Your BP could be sky high from all this stress. Please, calm down.
    Why reference pipes to a dying dog- take that info to DIY and not a dog forum where people have had their dogs DIE of bloat... Its a sick joke.. and not at all funny. You go through that pain- tell me how you feel afterwards- to bring it up like that out of context that bad is appaling!

Who referenced pipes to a dying dog?

Poor Cincy, crystals are no fun! She's better now?
    She is. We have not had a single issue since switching her food about 3 years ago and she has lost about 10 pounds as well. She stil has about 5-10 to go, but making good headway!!!

I don't know what all has been said in this thread, but I will post my opinion ( please no bashing, it's what I know/think and I will stick to it). Science Diet is a very low quality feed. I wouldn't feed it if someone paid me -- just my own preference.

This is Science Diet Mature. In bold are the bad or questionable ingredients. One thing that should definatly be pointed out -- where is the meat? Our dogs are primary carnivores -- and there isn't a single bit of meat in this food, only grain and vegetable. They derive the majorty of their protein from soy and corn -- both of which aren't very digestable, and thus do not provide the dog with alot of protein. The majority of people find this to be proper for a senior dog. I disagree, but that is just me.
    Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Brewers Rice, Soybean Mill Run, Flaxseed, Soybean Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Dried Grape Pomace, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Citrus Pulp, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Oat Fiber, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, L-Arginine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
    Many of the Science Diet formulas contain ehtoxyquin and BHA/BHT, which are carcinogenic preservatives linked to cancer, epliepsy, stillbirth, disease in puppies, etc. Ethoxyquin is a chemical rubber hardener and powerful insecticide that is illegal in most places of the world. They used to spray it on lawns until they discovered it was causing bad adverse health issues in people. Since it kills things, it's very good at killing bacteria, and thus is added to some Science Diet formulas. Science Diet is also owned by Ralston Purina, a company that is big into animal testing.
    Vets do not learn about nutrition in school -- from what I've been told by different vet/vet techs, their nutrition seminar lasts anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and is held by Science Diet respresentatives. They offer vets free dog food and may even help them with college funds if the vet, in return, sells and advocates their food in their clinic. For vets that have already been taught by Science Diet that Science Diet is the best food out there, most will be happy to do such.
    And so it is not only the ingredients that bother me, but the entire idea behind it all. Everything these days is a conspiracy unfortunatly.
    I've been BOO'd!

Thanks for the info, Jordan. I had no idea!

Thank you to everyone who has posted their experience and opinion of SD. I'm really grateful to those of you who didn't try to cram their opnions down my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    They are probably swelling as we speak.
    Its not funny... OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NEVER HAD a dog DIE of bloat.. And as far as lady human- I cant see his posts as they are blocked on ignore.. This is the only way I can see them..
    How DARE you make fun of a terrible situation KILLING DOGS across the us-- I find your joke and agreement horrid!!!!

Why reference pipes to a dying dog- take that info to DIY and not a dog forum where people have had their dogs DIE of bloat... Its a sick joke.. and not at all funny.

If someone can't see all the posts that are made it's easy to take things out of context and get bent out of shape. If a person doesn't see all of the information in the posts it's hard to make an appropriate response.

The pipes comment came from comparing the extruding process (which was related to the thread topic) which got into a debate over how pipes were made (a side trip from the topic), then someone made a joke concerning the PIPES not dogs dying of bloat.

I don't believe ANYONE here would be so crass as to make a joke about dogs dying for any reason.

As a side note of my opinion, I've noticed that much of the drama around here lately can be attributed to a few outspoken individuals, which seem to bring out the worst in everyone else.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have to agree Science Diet isn't my favorite food for many of the reasons posted by wolfsoul. That said I will say I fed my RB terrier Sandy SD for years and he did fine. I switched him to Waltham (now Royal Canin) when he was about 8 and it was mainly because he liked it better. (I found pieces of SD lieing around his bowl, and the Waltham was completely gone!!). I've also fed SD R/D to Bear. I had a nightmare of a time trying to get weight off when I first adopted him so the vet put him on SD R/D. It got the weight off and he didn't have any problems on it. I now feed him Eukanuba senior and my other 3 get Canidae, but that's just a person preference. My opinion. SD is definately not the worst brand nor is it the best. I'd put it somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    I don't know what all has been said in this thread, but I will post my opinion ( please no bashing, it's what I know/think and I will stick to it). Science Diet is a very low quality feed. I wouldn't feed it if someone paid me -- just my own preference.

This is Science Diet Mature. In bold are the bad or questionable ingredients. One thing that should definatly be pointed out -- where is the meat? Our dogs are primary carnivores -- and there isn't a single bit of meat in this food, only grain and vegetable. They derive the majorty of their protein from soy and corn -- both of which aren't very digestable, and thus do not provide the dog with alot of protein. The majority of people find this to be proper for a senior dog. I disagree, but that is just me.

Many of the Science Diet formulas contain ehtoxyquin and BHA/BHT, which are carcinogenic preservatives linked to cancer, epliepsy, stillbirth, disease in puppies, etc. Ethoxyquin is a chemical rubber hardener and powerful insecticide that is illegal in most places of the world. They used to spray it on lawns until they discovered it was causing bad adverse health issues in people. Since it kills things, it's very good at killing bacteria, and thus is added to some Science Diet formulas. Science Diet is also owned by Ralston Purina, a company that is big into animal testing.
    Vets do not learn about nutrition in school -- from what I've been told by different vet/vet techs, their nutrition seminar lasts anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and is held by Science Diet respresentatives. They offer vets free dog food and may even help them with college funds if the vet, in return, sells and advocates their food in their clinic. For vets that have already been taught by Science Diet that Science Diet is the best food out there, most will be happy to do such.
    And so it is not only the ingredients that bother me, but the entire idea behind it all. Everything these days is a conspiracy unfortunatly.
    Very good wolfsoul- well said.. Lets also highlight "flax seed"- this causes gas- and actually so does ( if it had it here) "beet pulp" if the sugar is not removed.. That one will ferment in the intestine..

Oy Vay! My sister just sent me an email and asked me if I heard about Science Diet and what I thought about it!

I'm going to show her this thread.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    Oy Vay! My sister just sent me an email and asked me if I heard about Science Diet and what I thought about it!

I'm going to show her this thread.
    Maybe you should spare her and just send her the links to the dogfood comparison sites.

Maybe you should spare her and just send her the links to the dogfood comparison sites.

I agree with that . at least don't send it to a friend. Spare your friend
    and just share links on independent studies.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt